Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Arcam A49
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:33 pm 
Premium User

I had a chance to listen to this integrated earlier today. It might be the first time an Arcam product has left an impression (I've owned a few models over the years). I'm not used to this level of refinement from Arcam. I'd love to hear feedback from owners.

Post subject: Re: Arcam A49
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:09 pm 

I dont have the A49 but i find that my AVR 280 is miles ahead of my NAD. Its the only Arcam product ive heard tho

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:54 pm 

Well, Here is a battle Arcam A49 vs. Harman Kardon HK 990...

The winner is...... in 5 days.... :) :(

Attachments:
IMG_7505.JPG
IMG_7505.JPG [ 339.23 KiB | Viewed 558 times ]

DAP: Fiio X1II PSB M4U-1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:15 am 

Ive owned one for more than 6 months paired with Totem Forests.

Liked the results well enough that I splurged further and bought an arcam ir dac and the udp 411 as well.

In my room I get a good soundstage in particular with good depth on classical recordings. That was what I was particularly after
Compared to what it replaced (marantz sr5008 and Energy connoisseur 3s ) Id say the sound is more solid and improved although of course not 10 times better.

I need to optimize the speaker placement using methods in Smiths get better sound and that done I anticipate improvements but all in all Im happy enough that I have no particular wish to upgrade further . Well at least for now.

That said I did not rigourously compare the a49 to other solutions when I purchased it so bearing in mind that it is a relatively expensive solution youd be well advised to try it in your room with your speakers to see if it suits.

If you cant get your dealer to let you try it before purchase make sure you have a decent return window.
As always there is break in to consider. In my case the totems require 100 hours or so and the amp who knows.

I found it good from the start and the totems as well but there was improvement over time so yr mileage will vary on this point.

I bring this up only because if there is any benefit to break in it will be apparent only over time and that impacts the return policy in case you find it doesnt suit.

I liked it from the off and believe its better now than when new but its not a night and day thing more like a refinement of initial strengths.
as to inputs etc there are ample including a phono input and a very good headphone amp. I dont listen to vinyl much but its a good option for those who do.
if you have sources that need a dac you will have to get an external one and that will add to the expense although of course there is no need to use an arcam dac as I did.
I assume your speakers are somewhat inefficient and thus you need the power of the a49?

Granted a high current delivery a solid power supply and 200 watts available I cant imagine their will insufficient power available for any but the most difficult loads and larger rooms

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:46 am 
Premium User

It's a shame the resale price is so abysmal with this model. Performance is top notch compared to other Arcam amps...good for second hand buyers I guess :|

Arcam should have given the series an updated look, might have helped a bit.