Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Line Magnetic 518-IA
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:36 am 

Reviews led me to purchase this amp back in February as a potential upgrade to my Leben CS300. It was being paired with Zu Omens at that time. After a couple of weeks of break-in & A/Bing btw the two amps the LM bested the Leben in so many ways...overall, bass definition, soundstage...the sole exception may have been midrange perhaps.

The only gripes I have with it is: a) it's weight as I nearly threw my back setting it up and b) my hydro bill taking a bit of a hit!

I recently lent it to a friend who's gonna run it through his Ushers so I'm curious as to how it performs with much less sensitive speakers @ 87dB.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:20 am 

Where is RGA?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:24 pm 
Premium User

RodMan wrote:
Where is RGA?

He had the first response post in this thread RodMan. You have GOT to pay more attention ... LOL!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:27 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:43 pm 

As an lm owner, I would certainly entertain the idea of moving up to something like a 518ia. However, my 211ia is so enjoyable, its hard to justify the added expense although i am sure that i would be impressed.These amps exude quality. Enjoy your amp; its a keeper.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:59 pm 

Not familiar with the 805 tube. Does it have any characteristic traits? Is it like the 845?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:52 am 

ckennedy wrote:
As an lm owner, I would certainly entertain the idea of moving up to something like a 518ia. However, my 211ia is so enjoyable, its hard to justify the added expense although i am sure that i would be impressed.These amps exude quality. Enjoy your amp; its a keeper.

The 211IA may be the most musically gratifying amplifier I've ever heard under $2k. Prices can be deceiving. It doesn't cost as much to make as an 845 based amp which has to have inherently beefier parts. But as I have discovered over the years with tubes....a good example of a 2a3 brings certain things to the table that 300b doesn't match. The 518 though is a step up as it should be for more than double the money. The DAC is also pretty sick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:04 am 

I am very seriously thinking of purchasing the Line Magnetics 219IA. I have read a few reviews on it including Richard Austen's fine review. I am not in a great rush but would like to pull the trigger in the next 6 months or so. I may even travel to Montreal for a demo or to attend the audio show. I just purchased a set of Tannoy Turnberry GRs and am in need of a new amp. My other choice is to purchase a Wyetech amp and continue to use my Doge 8LP preamp. Any thoughts on Wyetech gear vs LM?

I believe the 219IA is selling for around $10K Cdn plus taxes and shipping while the 518 is going for about 6K. Do the dealers give any discount on that price or is that pretty much what I would pay? My other 2 concerns are the weight of these units (especially the 219) and the heat. One reviewer stated he ended up selling his 219 because it generated so much heat in his enclosed room. However, he lived in Arizona while I live on Vancouver Island.

I would love to hear any comments on these units as I will not have a chance to listen to them for several months.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:55 am 

I don't find it gets that hot - the hot tube is the 845 but there are only two of them. Granted I live in Hong Kong and my apartment is 700 square feet and I have three air-conditioners - it gets a little hot and unbearably humid here - but no way I can afford any of this gear teaching in Canada - so thank you HK for paying teachers properly.

The Canadian dollar is not helping Canadians buy imports unfortunately though dealers should be able to come down on the price but how much I can't say.

I stand by the idea that the 219IA is good enough to be a person's last amplifier and is even better as a power amp only with a very good preamp you can add later. Being dual mono (no crosstalk and less noise (none) that can show up with normal stereo amps from their lower models) it basically serves as monoblocks in one box. Aside from first rate sound quality the build is as good as virtually anything in the $50k range that I've seen and better than most to be blunt. And it's fun to operate.

But at 55Kg it's ridiculous to move - two moving guys here were hugely puffing moving it around - it's funny that you can lift a 120lb girl with not much problem but lifting the 121lb amp makes you want to buy some back pain pills to put in the cabinet before lifting just in case.

There is usually a bit more room to move on price with bigger ticket items because there is simply always more profit margin in the more expensive product. Further the 219 because it is so big and heavy is less appealing to most people. It's big, it's awesome, it's fun to use, it sounds great, and built like a battleship. The other amps down from it are fine pieces too - but if you're like me - you've learned over the years to get the thing you "really" want even if it takes a year or two longer to get it than cave into buying the lower model - just to get something faster. (Ask the 50% of divorced men who couldn't hold back). Patience is the virtue.

And the other thing is by waiting and holding off to get the thing you really want may wind up having positives like - a second hand unit comes in and you get a super deal - or the dollar rebounds when a new government takes over (or the old one stays and investors are satisfied) or whatever meaning the Canadian price of the thing lowers when the dollar (if the dollar) rebounds.

I have had the DAC for over a year - I must get to that review. Just no time.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:47 am 

Hi,

Like a few others I heard some LM stuff in the Coup de Foudre room last year at TAVES. One of the top rooms there. I just checked the exhibitor list for TRAVES 2015 and I don't see them on it for this year. They moved their retail space this summer to a new location in Montreal so they may be skint. Also, TAVES is starting to look like a mini-CES with binocular vision goggles and all manner of other gee-gaws. Coup de Foudre is all about the music - no wonder they thrive in Montreal.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:08 am 

Yeah I do not see Line Magnetic being displayed at the Toronto show but am hopeful they will be at the Montreal show in 2016. There is no vendor list on the website yet. As far as I can tell there is only one retailer in Canada that carries LM. So - I am hoping a trip to Montreal is in the works for next Spring!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:50 am 

After reading about the 518, tubes have really caught my attention again. My little Jolida 502 still sounded much sweeter with some psvane pre tubes and gold lion kt88 than my Hegel 360. Problem is the bass was really flabby and after having the Hegel I've liked it a lot but admittedly it lacks the sparkle I'd hear from particularly vocal and acoustic songs.

What is the opinion of the 518 vs any other class A tube amp pumping out ~25 watts in full class A? Listening is never concert levels and generally mid field distances.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:56 am 

I think it is somewhat the kind of SET amp you get. In theory you CAN run a 5 watt amp on 85dB speakers but at some point you're going to want some heft and full range sound. My preference is for SET - Single Ended sound is the most linear. To get power from them requires generally 845/211 or similar tubes and those require considerably larger power supplies transformers.

Line Magnetic does have a new whopping 48Watt per channel SET using the big 805 tube output with 300B and 6SN7 as dual driver tubes. It's $4,995US and comes in at 85lb - 40lbs lighter than my 219IA. but with double the power. Still early reports are that people like it a lot. Here is a thread and images on it

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/n ... mp.542333/

I would really try to listento high quality SET amps - unfortunately when I lived in Canada most of the SET amps I heard were rather unremarkable. Cheapish Chinese tube amps in the $1k range simply didn't use very good transformers - as good makers know there is an art to transformer winding and most just don't get it - it's why my AN OTO with a measly 4 watts has rather outstanding bass depth and drive while 20 watters and even 100 watt SS sound thin and totally lack any semblance of weight. As one maker noted - you know it's not going to be very good if it uses a torroidal transformer! A little hyperbole but then again the best amps I've heard use EI and C-Core so he probably wasn't wrong.

You could also look at Melody Valve Audio. Their preamp was superb - I ran it into my LM 219IA (used as a power amp) and it was a massive upgrade. The LM preamp section is the weak spot as it is for all integrated amps. But unlike a lot of brands LM was smart enough to allow you the ability to add a preamp. LM IMO is clearly better making big output transformers with control and grip and lack of noise. Excellent - but their preamp are a little on the "meh" side. Pretty sure the 518ia, 508ia and definitely the 219IA have "direct" in switch for future preamp upgrade.

Here is a complete Line Magnetic system with monoblock amps and speakers. Drool. :wink:

Here are newer Line Magnetic loudspeakers with their classic amps

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:12 am 

There's this for those with an ear for 300B amps:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -lm210-1a/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:20 pm 

I have the LM-219IA thanks to Richard and his review. I purchased the amp from China off Aliexpress. The transaction was smooth.
The seller asked if I wanted to convert to 120V but said no. I remember what Richard said about the transformer being one of the most important aspect of a tube amp. I didn't want them to replace the OEM with some cheap one. I asked him to send a step down transformer instead.
One thing I would recommend is that if you gonna buy from China, make sure you add the cost of running a dedicated 220V line. This is a must for this amp to see its full potential.
The difference is night and day. The bass is huge and tight. I am still amaze of the bass from this amp even after 2 years of ownership. The high and the midrange opens up.
This is one amazing tube amp.
As for the heat. Yes, it runs hot. I am Northern Sask. and in the summer time, some days I just can't run it even with the windows open. Would I sell it because of the heat? NO way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next