Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: YBA Integre DT Issues
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:23 pm 

Hi All
Hoping to glean some expertise regarding my amp. I bought it used back in mid 2009 from Locke Street Audio. Had the output transistors replaced shortly thereafter and it worked great. Have not used it much in the past couple years but fired it up about 6 months ago and it sounded like crap - very harsh and distorted. Took it into Apollo in Calgary for a checkup. Tom re-soldered a loose wire on one of the transformers but that did not solve the distortion problem - but he said everything checked out fine. I put it back in storage for the time being but fired it up again last weekend and still same problem. I know how good it can sound and it is miles away from that. The volume and selector knobs are seemingly running fine and static free.
Any ideas as to why it is sounding so poor.
Thanks
jp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:33 pm 

try leaving it turned on for a long period of time to heat up than try it just a thought

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:51 pm 

I had a problem with mine that was similar,it sounded distorted,turned out to be the audio caps,i was told they needed to be changed every 10-12 years since most people leave the units on all the time for best sound quality.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:01 am 

rednecknber wrote:
try leaving it turned on for a long period of time to heat up than try it just a thought

Both times I have had it continuously powered on for days (also recommended be left on by the company as the power switch is on the bottom of the chassis) - unfortunately to no avail.

audiodomm wrote:
I had a problem with mine that was similar,it sounded distorted,turned out to be the audio caps,i was told they needed to be changed every 10-12 years since most people leave the units on all the time for best sound quality.

That is where I was thinking I would have to go next - any idea of the cost involved in doing such a job (relatively speaking)??

Thanks for the quick replies - much appreciated.
jp

ps Calgary (or even Edmonton) members - any ideas on where would be the best place to take it to get it recapped??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:44 am 

What a beautifully made amp - those transformers are pretty high end

Regardless of who you intend to look at the amp, Your starting point is to get a service manual with a schematic.

Is there a service tech who knows these amps well ?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:09 am 

Why not contact the Distributor. They used to be located in Quebec.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:38 am 

I don't think they have a Canadian distributor any more (none listed for Canada on the YBA website)?? Plurison in Quebec used to be but are not any more. I did contact them and they did the replacement on the output transistors way back when. Having said that - they still might have some schematics kicking around.
Having said that I would still prefer to take it somewhere in the Calgary area (or even Edmonton).
Cheers
jp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:33 am 

So I have contacted Plurison and they do not have any schematics available but they do have the original parts to recap the amp (as they used to be the Canadian distributor). They quoted me 386 to do the recap. I would have to ship the amp Alberta to Quebec and back - so about 100 bucks in shipping plus taxes - so not an inexpensive endeavor by any means. They can also provide me with the parts - but am I going to find a suitable tech in the Calgary area that:
1/ would be able to do the job and
2/ come in any cheaper??
Any advice would be welcome again.
jp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:54 am 

So for all you Calgarians that know Tom's work at Apollo (seems like the only place in town up to the job??) - is he up to recapping my amp or should I bite the shipping costs and send it back to Plurison in Quebec??
Thanks
jp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 7:32 am 

Have you e-mailed YBA and contacted the US service center?

http://www.ybahifi.com/contacts.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:01 am 

I think I would be out even more for shipping with the US Service Centre - no?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:34 am 

J. P. wrote:
I think I would be out even more for shipping with the US Service Centre - no?

I wouldn't be shipping it there unless I absolutely had to, but YBA the company or the US Service Centre might be able to provide a service manual or schematic. I don't know if I would want anyone exploring in there without one, especially at the prices you mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:26 am 

Too bad some of those french manufacturers leave their customers in the dust.
I'am thinking Audiomat also, pretty bad for anything more complicated than a tube replacement.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:15 am 

milag wrote:
Too bad some of those french manufacturers leave their customers in the dust.
I'am thinking Audiomat also, pretty bad for anything more complicated than a tube replacement.

Micromega was legendary for poor product support back in the '90s. The majority of their problems could be traced to the infamous/cursed Philips CDM12.4 transport used in many of their CD players and transports. They essentially stonewalled customers and simply referred the problem to Philips, which also did very little to take care of the problem.

As a result of that debacle, there was no importer/distributor for Micromega components in N. America for many years. There may have been other factors involved as well but crappy support from the factory will torpedo a companys' good fortunes pretty quickly.

What I find hard to believe is that YBA no longer has any distribution in N. America. Plurison used to be the distributor in Canada and in the US it was Audio Plus Services in Champlain, NY. I guess they lost their mojo somehow. It seemed as though Sam Tellig singlehandedly kept the YBA doors open for decades with his glowing product reviews in Stereophile.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:11 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I've serviced a number of these. There is NO service manual or schematic available. YBA never gave them out. However they are a pretty simple amp and any tech who can't figure it out shouldn't be working on this stuff.
The caps do fail occasionally in these amps, but if it isn't humming that is not likely the problem. There are no caps in the signal path.
The way these amps were designed is that the bias is set fairly low, and they use the warm-up to get rid of crossover distortion. Cold they exhibit a noticeable crossover notch on a scope that is clearly audible. Warmed up it should disappear. About 30 minutes is necessary. If bias is out, it should be set after an hour or so of running at idle. The heat sinks should get warm, but not hot. Too high a bias and the amp will start to run away and boom!
Also should the caps need to be changed, they have a non-standard footprint and it may be necessary to modify the board a bit to make the new ones fit.
That's all the trade secrets I'm giving out.