Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Marantz PM6005
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:24 pm 

I bought this integrated as part of my first real stereo setup and I'm wondering why there seems to be so little mention of this model on CAM. A search turns up only 6 results (posts).

Specs from Marantz Canada website:

THD 0.08% (20Hz – 20kHz, 2 channel driven, 8 ohms load)
Input Sensitivity/Impeance PHONO:MM:2.2mV/47k ohms, LINE:200mV/20k ohms
Frequency response 10Hz – 70kHz +0dB, -1dB (CD, 1W, 8 ohms load)
S/N Ratio PHONO:MM:83dB, LINE:102dB
Number of Channels 2
Output Power 45W (8 ohms), 60W (4 ohms)

It also has tone control bypass, a/b, 1/4" headphone jack. Features built-in phono stage and DAC with optical-in. MSRP $699.

After owning this amp for about a year, I have to say that I'm very happy with it. It has loads of value, especially considering that it is saves you from having to buy a separate DAC and preamp. That was key for me because my sources are PC and turntable.

I don't see any other integrateds that have these features at this price point. Despite its modest output, I have yet to find this amp lacking in power (although like I said, I am still new). The volume is seldom above 25%. The speakers I am using are monitor audio bronze bx2, 8 ohm impedance with 90 db sensitivity.

So what are your thoughts/experience with this amp? I just find it curious that it has so little mention here when it has good reviews elsewhere.

Post subject: Re: Marantz PM6005
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:45 am 

Hey ! I had pm5004 and liked it very much for his kinda laid back but refined sound so I went up the line and got the pm8004, and that was a very nice upgrade. Overall, sound signature is the same, but it is more intimate and more controlled. Also build quality is great on pm8004. I think the quality of 6005 is not far away from the 8004/5 except that they are not built Japanese .

I like marantz, some people say they are the poor man's luxman or accuphase but I just don't see what they who do more except for build quality, I get a lot of fun with them, which is the point!

Enjoy your amp !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:31 am 

This is a nice little amp. I'm looking at it for my second system, or switch it into my main system since it has a nice on-board dac. Wondering if it has enough oomph for my 88dB Dali floorstanders.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:04 am 

I had both the 6004 and 8004, excellent integrated amps, were able to drive a wide variety of speakers.
Enjoy your Marantz.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:37 am 

'Cypher' says: >>The Rotel RA-10 amp is more punchy sounding than the Marantz IMO.<< http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/marantz-pm6005-or-rega-brio-r

In case you should be tempted to swap your Marantz PM6005 for a Anthem MRX 500, you have the opportunity to sell the Marantz PM6005 for around 500 bucks on CAM (http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649309331-marantz-pm6005/)

The seller 'Suave Kajko' from Canada HiFi says: >>I can say with confidence that the Anthem MRX 500 AV receiver is one of the greatest sounding receivers that I’ve had the pleasure of being entertained by. The on-board Anthem Room Correction system performed a noticeably better job of improving the sound in my room compared to the systems integrated in most, if not all, AV receivers that I’ve listened to in the past...Overall, you might be tempted to think that you’re listening to higher-end separates rather than an AV receiver – yes, the sound is that good<< http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649329833-anthem-mrx-500/

'liamgdr' says: >>For what its worth, which may not be a lot, I recently swapped my budget 2 channel amp (Marantz pm6005) for a Anthem MRX 500! The first thing I noticed was how detailed the MRX 500 sounded in comparison to the Marantz two channel amp without loosing any warmth in the soundstage, the bass response was also better on the Anthem MRX 500 than the Marantz pm6005 two channel amp! generally everything sounds clean and composed on MRX 500<< https://www.avforums.com/threads/anthem-mrx-510-with-music.1938502/

'kelseyhorne' says: >>I really like the Anthem 225 integrated amp, found the voices great, I bought it just for my turntable. I won't spend much time on this but I can't seem to hear a difference in my turntable between Anthem MRX 510 and the Anthem 225 two channel amp. I have to turn up the 225 more to get the same sound volume as the 510, which is odd given the 225 has 225 per channel.<< http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1497598-anthem-mrx-receivers-310-510-710-owners-thread-tweaking-guide-4.html

'KenM10759' says: >>The Anthem MXR 710 seems a LOT more power than what you could use for those speakers, BTW. The Anthem MXR 510 is more than enough, I assure you the Anthem MRX 510 is a brutal beast, because it's even a little more powerful than my NAD T758 and I'm driving bigger speakers pretty hard at times. (KEF R500/R200C). Believe me, I can turn my little 60w/channel (all channels driven) receiver up to 0dB on the volume scale for a few seconds at a time but that is REALLY loud. Still sounds clear and clean, but the cats are running away and my wife gets red in the face. << http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/anthem-mrx-710-vs-marantz-separates.96975/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:55 am 

Hi, I am burning in a PM6006 right now and it is a nice amp. An all in one solution and great looking too! If that is your first decent amp you have done well grasshopper :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:31 pm 

wilfin3 wrote:
Hi, I am burning in a PM6006 right now and it is a nice amp. An all in one solution and great looking too! If that is your first decent amp you have done well grasshopper :)

What speakers are you mating it with?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:42 pm 

I found the Are Audio Light Roasts to work well with the PM6004,
Totem dream catchers were nice in a smaller room.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:16 am 

I have been using Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s with it and at the moment Kef Cresta 10's. Both work well with the edge to the Kefs. A little extra efficiency goes a long way with this amp. The phono and dac are both surprisingly good sounding in my opinion.