Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:41 am 

Rowland Continuum Series 2 integrated amplifier. You have the option of adding a DAC and phono card.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:50 am 

ELOS wrote:
spinaker01 wrote:
mantisory wrote:
Another to look for would be the Pass INT150 or the INT30A (pure class A) - both could be had used in your price range...there is a used int 30a at reno hifi for ~$4500...
B
edit: there is also an INT150 on CAM for sale that I hadn't noticed...well within your price range, and it's a keeper for sure!

+1 Byron, you beat me to it. Also might consider the Modwright KW200
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1392779547 >>I had the Musical Fidelity M6-500i, and had a different result. The amp sounded great driving Dyn's C1's while doing the store demo, but with my then speakers (PMC) the amp sounded terrible. I suspect the amp does a great job driving less sensitive speakers with its excellent power In the end, I got rid of it and moved to a Modwright KWI-200 and have not looked back.<<

ummm...yeah, over a year ago :)
I wonder what the OP eventually went for...
b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:25 am 

mpublicover wrote:
I auditioned my new Pathos Classic MK111 on these speakers and, well I bought it. A warm presentation through the tube pre, very detailed and musical. Your budget would allow moving up the Pathos line or bridge 2 MK111's as documneted here
http://dagogo.com/pathos-classic-one-mk ... r-review/2

Pathos Classic One Mk3 received 4 stars from Whathifi, not bad :D http://www.whathifi.com/pathos/classic-one-mkiii/review

Pathos Logos Mk2 received 5 stars from Whathifi http://www.whathifi.com/pathos/logos-mk-ii/review

Pathos Logos Mk2 - USD $6495 http://www.hifishark.com/search?q=pathos+logos

Translated review of Pathos Logos http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=35330&start=15 http://www.hifi4all.dk/content/templates/anmeldelser.asp?articleid=663&zoneid=3
Quote:
Pathos - Hot Italian blood in red wine bottles !!

If you travel to the Italian places you will run into Sonus Faber and not long after you will find Pathos, which lies in the same area, namely Vicenza in northern Italy. Here they built the Logos amplifier ...

The sound !!

After a bit of deckchairs and adaptation got rigged it all in, and turned on the goodies. The amplifier starts to "pre-heat" for 60 seconds before the relay switches on, but it just got a little more time to settle, so the operating temperature could be slightly increased. Then went there just 15 minutes where I had to listen to weird comments from the better half about design etc.. Word "ugly" was frequently used, but she fortunately changed her mind for the better as time went on - this applied for everyone who came, saw and listened to it.

Then came the time for the first record, and Kari Bremnes was allowed to open the party. Already from the first tones I could hear there was something very special. The first thing that struck me was control. The song "Life as Blei away" from "Gåte by Gåte" starts out with powerful punches on the bass drum. The amplifier held an iron grip on the speaker units with a formidable punch all the way down into your diaphragm. The voice was really nice and detailed, right down to the smallest variations on her vocal cords, I had the feeling of finesse and detail. The experience was no less with Jennifer Warnes' "Somewhere, somebody" from "The Hunter". Here we are talking about deeply engaging experience, as i could almost feel the band playing personal to me. The feeling of the room and the atmosphere was really present, and the mood was really in the air - Logos has this effect on people who hear it!

Nils Lofgren was not overlooked in this review. Album "Acoustic Live" is now widely known, and especially the track "Keith do not go" is a selected test subject. Pathos Logos shows a whole new dimension - the punches are simply stupendous. The timing is overwhelmingly good, and right down to the tiniest detail sense really worked with the guitar. When concentrated listening is actually to hear that some of the strings indeed goes into cajoling when Mr. Lofgren really works with guitar - so much into cajoling that you can hear that it is not all the strings that are 100% tuned right. The sound of the guitar is one of the best I've heard - it sounds really authentic, and the feeling of sitting in the audience for the deeply personal concert is really overwhelming.

On the track "Nardis" from Patricia Barber's "Cafe Blue" the drummer goes crazy with the entire repertoire of percussion instruments, and it is brushed out to the smallest detail. This track may well prove to be a challenge for many amps, but not for Logos - the amplifier do not lose overview. The controls are maintained and nothing runs out of control - not even when the Hi-hat goes crazy, which in some cases can be devastating for many amp competitors when it comes to overview and control. The track is exactly the sequence still deafening to listen to.

If we turn our attention to the Four Plays excellent track "Chant" from "The best of Fourplay, you can really hear what is meant by the finesse and detail. From the first stroke on the bass drum, you sense the impact and vibrations on the skin - many amp competitors have problems to show this and can only show it in the bass, but Logos gives you a taste of what it is. Throughout the track the artists shows how they work with their instrument, and especially noticed the work of the piano. Piano is one of my favorite music instruments, as I wish more piano play for most music. Logos plays it wonderfully free and without accent and without electronic sound.

After the various specific listening tests on different things that I know can harass some amplifiers, I came to the natural music immersion through Logos.

I've always certain things, I go in layers with to learn to know the product, and even though at first sound drew really well, I still had to mill through. Details are as you know only one thing in the high range. Musically, this amplifier is not to be ignored. It conveys everything as perfectly as the technology allows - the sense of space, details, timing and control is exceptional. The midrange is outstanding and voices, especially women voices, which is a challenge for many products, is clearly one of the best I've heard. There is absolutely a feeling of atmosphere and mood of all the tracks, I was playing through. There is a lovely natural warmth, deliciously leaves out accent and S-sounds, and even when the tone is loud, the Logos never add strident to voices, unless the record shows it. Music instruments are also second to none. In all of the recordings it was easy to dissect the individual instruments from each other and placing them in the room. This was, moreover, the artists - the best example was Roger Waters. Not due. Voice, but Q-sound mixingen on the plate. There has always been much debate about how the different things on the impressive "Amused to death" should be placed - often because the equipment may not have the class to really show what it's all about on this record. With Logos there is no doubt about how to do it - even when location is a little outside the sweet spot you could get the feel of what goes on the plate, but it demonstrates a distinguished three-dimensionality, where it really matters.

Logos is also analytical, as the vast majority of more expensive amplifiers, but it is never at the expense of musicality and glow to the music. There is no doubt that Pathos' designers have got something right, both in terms of principle in their INPOL technique and not least the theory behind amplifier design. Throughout the test period, I have not been able to find anything, Logos could not handle, or as the case just did so well. There is power when necessary - even when the volume was close to the maximum, it was never tiring or exhausting to listen to. Fourtunately the bass was not violent, there were periods were played loud but the bass did not disturb treble and midrange. The Logos delivers everything in an exemplary way, and you get everything in the soundstage. This amplifier tells you if you have quality equipment connected to both ends, and the acknowledgment of a formidable experience if the rest of the playback chain is of high quality.

Conclusion !!

It has been wonderful to get acquainted with this special, beautiful and really musical music box, and my conclusion is quite short - this is the best integrated amplifier I've ever heard regardless of price. If you want a truly engaging experience of first class, like the special design and looking for a good integrated amplifier, then this amplifier is one of the best recommendations i can offer. Even for the price it is absolutely a best-buy!

This amplifier gets my best recommendations.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:05 am 

mantisory wrote:
ELOS wrote:
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1392779547 >>I had the Musical Fidelity M6-500i, and had a different result. The amp sounded great driving Dyn's C1's while doing the store demo, but with my then speakers (PMC) the amp sounded terrible. I suspect the amp does a great job driving less sensitive speakers with its excellent power In the end, I got rid of it and moved to a Modwright KWI-200 and have not looked back.<<

ummm...yeah, over a year ago :)
I wonder what the OP eventually went for...
b

Yeah, I also wonder... http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1357514738&openflup&16&4 >>Dah, how could I have forgotten the Modwright KWI-200?? That is a superb integrated amp, and knowing how lovely the KWA-150 sounds and how well engineered and built that amp is, I would expect the KWI-200 to sound wonderful. Price is $5k. And that that pricepoint, i'd expect it to give the Hegel H200 stiff competition indeed. Between those two options, i'd stretch and buy the Modwright. But the H300 is a different story.<<, seems Melbguy1 prefer Hegel H300 over the Modwright KWI-200

Hegel H300 - USD $3850 http://www.hifishark.com/search?q=hegel+h300

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:02 am 

I replaced my Modwright KWI 200 with an Audio Research Vsi 75. The ARC sounds much better with my Combak Bravo SE speakers. Coincidentally, I am going to get some SF speakers to go with the ARC. I will let you know how that sounds.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:22 am 

melville wrote:
I replaced my Modwright KWI 200 with an Audio Research Vsi 75. The ARC sounds much better with my Combak Bravo SE speakers. Coincidentally, I am going to get some SF speakers to go with the ARC. I will let you know how that sounds.

A friend had the SF Cremona paired with some ARC monoblock tube amps (VM220 amps I think) and never liked the sound. I thought it sounded pretty decent though...
b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:55 am 

Would the Pass XA30.5 have enough juice to do these speakers justice?