Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:45 pm 

Just received a new pair of Sonus Faber Cremona M floorstanders and have hooked up to my Creek Destiny int amp. Very impressed with the sound but down the road would like to try another int amp. My budget would be about 5 to 6 thousand. Listen to a variety of music in a good sized acoustically treated room. The Cremonas seem to like good clean power . Any suggestions. I have wondered about Audio Research DSI 200 as well as Hegel H 200. My sources are a Clearaudio Emotion turntable thru a Moon Lp 5.3 pre and for digital a Rega Apollo cd player. Should I consider a dac and use the Rega as a transport to improve on playback of cds . Again any suggestions. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:55 pm 

The Hagel H 200 would be an excellent choice. It also has a built in dac with digital inputs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 pm 

Try hunting SF's own Musica amp for starters. Should be a match, though i've not heard a combo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:40 am 

lovethesound wrote:
The Hagel H 200 would be an excellent choice. It also has a built in dac with digital inputs.

The H70 has a built in DAC but not the H200.
http://www.hegel.com/products/integrated/h200

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:11 am 

SF Cremonas (all models with M and non-M) are pretty easy to drive. I used to have Cairn 4808 NF which delivers only 100 W/ch and the match was very good. Since then, I moved up and now drive my Cremonas Auditors with Classé amp (much wider musical image, deep bass, sweet but precise medium-high). Classe's no-longer-produced CAP-2100 is a pretty good integrated for this matter. You should go with power amps & pre. You would even get more dynamics.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:24 am 

YBA Passion (current model is 350 I think) is a choice for SF I have heard over and over with amazing results. A Lavardin IT would do marvels as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:57 am 

Another to look for would be the Pass INT150 or the INT30A (pure class A) - both could be had used in your price range...there is a used int 30a at reno hifi for ~$4500...
B
edit: there is also an INT150 on CAM for sale that I hadn't noticed...well within your price range, and it's a keeper for sure!

Last edited by mantisory on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 am 

My mistake, all the Hagel integrated's come with digital inputs except the H200.
The Hagel H300 looks like a real beast and has the digital inputs.
Would that be beyond your price range?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am 

I've heard the ARC integrated many times with the Cremonas...very very nice. I am unable to comment on the Hegel as of yet but it appears real capable. But I can strongly recommend the ARC with the Cremonas.

Have you considered separates in that price range and a touch above? IMO that is the price area where the benefit of separates really start to show their stuff. Something like the ARC LS27 over a Bryston 3BSST or 4BSST with the Cremonas can sound outstanding. Also Mac works great with SF speakers IMO and the C48 preamp with the MC302 amp is also killer with the Cremonas. Many options.

What is your budget for a cd/DAC upgrade?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:12 am 

In another forum I frequent that has quite a few Sonus Faber fans they often rave about Mac. and Ayre as being great integrated's to pair with SF.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:40 am 

Hard to beat the NAD M2. Don't forget the high quality dac is built in...
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... component/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:23 am 

Thanks for the valuable input. I have so far heard the Cremonas powered with mcintosh tube separates as well as a Grant fidelity tube integrated and Audio Research solid state separates. I like the sound with all amps but think I would like to stay with solid state integrated. Have not heard the Hegels or the ARC DSI 200 which is class D but they do interest me. My needs in an int amp would be to have ample power, True balanced inputs and a digital readout display for source and volume . The Chord 2650 is suppose to be a great match but maybe out of my price range. As far as a DAC is concerned to use with my Rega Apollo I would like to spend about $1000 to $1500. As I have quite a collection of cds I would probably not listen to music thru my computer right now but down the road probably. Would I improve on the sound quality much with a different DAC than the one in the Rega. Thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:34 pm 

I'd keep your eye out for a used Simaudio 600i or 700i. They make great integrated amps! Have never heard them with Sonus Faber. I heard the Cremona M with Classe and they were a good match together.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:37 pm 

mantisory wrote:
Another to look for would be the Pass INT150 or the INT30A (pure class A) - both could be had used in your price range...there is a used int 30a at reno hifi for ~$4500...
B
edit: there is also an INT150 on CAM for sale that I hadn't noticed...well within your price range, and it's a keeper for sure!

+1 Byron, you beat me to it. Also might consider the Modwright KW200

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:34 pm 

Thanks everyone, I have considered the Modwright KW 200 but unfortunately it does not have true balanced inputs otherwise a great amp I.m sure.