Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:01 pm 

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a Triode Labs 2A3 S (signature) from the manufacturers Scarborough manufacturing facility.
http://www.triodelab.com/photos/2A3SB/DSC03465.jpg

This company was just reviewed in 6moons. EL84TT was the subject amp. They walked away with a 6 Moons Award.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/triodelab/1.html

I arranged my purchase through that 'other' audio website based in the U.S. and was immediately impressed with the level of customer service via email. 'Frank' made arrangements for me to attend the company facility on Midland Rd in Scarborough. My amp was hooked up and playing when i arrived. He walked me through their philosophy on audio and made sure all my questions were answered. We discussed tube choices and resulting sonic differences (they have extensively rolled tubes and are able to offer some excellent suggestions) with the caveat of course that your ear should decide.

I went back this week and have a demo preamp warming up as i type (thanks to Frank!). He suggested I take my time with the demo and only purchase the pre if I feel it adds value to my system.

The amp has a fabulous build quality and can be tweaked to suit your budget and system requirements. I also happen to have a pair of Zu Essence (as did the reviewer in the 6 Moons article) and the 2A3 at the time being preamped through my Wyred4sound Dac 2, was spectacular. You can read the 6 Moons article if you want to catch all the adjectives.

Frank mentioned that Triode Labs was at the Toronto and Montreal shows this year, I didn't get to either.

If you are in the market for a new amp and feel like supporting an up and coming Canadian company you should go and see Frank and have a listen - just bring your credit card, you'll probably need it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:38 pm 

If you are in the market for a new amp and feel like supporting an up and coming Canadian company you should go and see Frank and have a listen - just bring your credit card, you'll probably need it.[/quote]

So...does this mean that they actually manufacture their stuff in Canuck-land, as opposed to off-shore somewhere, eh?

Any chance of them introducing a nice headphone amp for electrostatic (Stax) headphones. eh?

Just wondering....
Grant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:40 pm 

Congrats to TL on the review & award!

Yes, they are assembling everything here, according to the article. I've dealt with Carl many times on Canuck, this group of folks are truly a class act and I wish them every success.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:52 pm 

About time.

If it is all made in Canada.

Koodos.

Welcome Manufacturing back to Canada. :)

It's about time. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:00 pm 

Hear, hear +1 on the class act, had excellent dealings with them when they were just starting out. Great to see a mission statement that leads to success. T

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:05 pm 

Go Canada Go!

Don't forget to ask for discount, I was told their high MSRP are for dealer's markup! 8)

Definitely a hidden gem. Too bad most audiophile these days buy base on internet marketing...

Give them a shout if you want to try some finest low watt tube power!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:02 pm 
Premium User

highly recommended. their 300B with very sweet with my factory tannoys.

excellent sonic quality for value.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:39 pm 

very nice looking stuff, made in canada a huge plus. What is their price list like? :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:59 pm 

vintage wrote:
very nice looking stuff, made in canada a huge plus. What is their price list like? :D

Have a look at http://www.tubedeforce.com or http://www.triode lab.com for starters.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:12 pm 

I was drooling over this recently, but even with the discount it was over my budget :cry:

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/tube-f ... rs-toronto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:14 pm 

I've been watching this company for a year or so. Love what they are doing with the EL-84 amps.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:17 pm 

Would love to know if an integrated like this would power my totem embers? Looking for a good Canadian match to get all the potential out of them I can. Very new to tube amps, sorry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:14 pm 

gascho wrote:
Would love to know if an integrated like this would power my totem embers? Looking for a good Canadian match to get all the potential out of them I can. Very new to tube amps, sorry

I skimmed a 6 Moons review of this speaker, which was favourable but did not include any measurements. Checked the Totem site, which informs of an "easy" 8 ohms nominal impedance, with 88 db sensitivity. They also listed a minimum recommended power of 30 watts. This latter recommendation may not mean much; often manufacturers who are not catering to tube guys will list a figure like that because most every thing IS 30 watts or above.

A speaker does not necessarily require high sensitivity to perform well with a low powered tube amp, but it's impedance needs to be an easy load, the more consistent the better. That's one thing you do get with a Stereophile review, measurements. It will illustrate the impedance over the frequency spectrum and show you if there's any nasty dips. That's helpful.

Nothing beats an audition of course. I have no direct experience with Totem speakers, but comments I read on this site lead me to think an SS amp that delivers good current may be a better choice.

Any Totem owners with this (or similar model of speaker) have any hands on with low powered tube amps ? Personally I would be quite cautious with a Triode Lab amp paired with the Totems. Not due to a lack on either side, it's a compatibility concern.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:27 pm 

Is anyone out there using their "Au Pre" preamplifier? I'm considering purchasing one... They've offered to let me trial one in my home if I pay for shiping. Sounds pretty reasonable to me! Again, cusrious if anyone else out there is using one...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:44 pm 

airdronian wrote:
gascho wrote:

I skimmed a 6 Moons review of this speaker, which was favourable but did not include any measurements. Checked the Totem site, which informs of an "easy" 8 ohms nominal impedance, with 88 db sensitivity. They also listed a minimum recommended power of 30 watts. This latter recommendation may not mean much; often manufacturers who are not catering to tube guys will list a figure like that because most every thing IS 30 watts or above.

A speaker does not necessarily require high sensitivity to perform well with a low powered tube amp, but it's impedance needs to be an easy load, the more consistent the better. That's one thing you do get with a Stereophile review, measurements. It will illustrate the impedance over the frequency spectrum and show you if there's any nasty dips. That's helpful.

Nothing beats an audition of course. I have no direct experience with Totem speakers, but comments I read on this site lead me to think an SS amp that delivers good current may be a better choice.

Any Totem owners with this (or similar model of speaker) have any hands on with low powered tube amps ? Personally I would be quite cautious with a Triode Lab amp paired with the Totems. Not due to a lack on either side, it's a compatibility concern.

Thank you for the insight! A demo would be a must. I've been poking around for information and found a good article on 'the first watt' which argued low powered tubes will bring out full sound from the first watt rather than having to turn the dial further and further in order to hear all the details. But then right after that I read an article about the 10 lies in hi fi which called it all bs along with bi wiring and break in time. A lot of strong opinions so its nice to hear from sources who aren't selling anything.

Here are those articles, interesting read

http://www.decware.com/newsite/paper110.htm

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/downloads/article_1.pdf