Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:52 pm 
Premium User

Erik wrote:
I have a paur of dynaco mk iii which I recently resurrected, as I loved them so $uch. I bought a pair of dcm time windows because I remembered just how terrific they used to sound.

Let's just say sometimes things just sound better in your memory than in real life.

Ah, what I like to callCarver syndrom rears it's ugly head. I couldn't agree more Erik!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:54 am 

MrAcoustat wrote:
The Genoan wrote:
MrAcoustat wrote:

:lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:51 am 

As usual, it took less than one page for two guys to throw mud on another's positive recollection.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:06 am 

Hi i would like to let you know that member The Genoan is the owner of the french forum Quebec Audio & TED magazine he as been a member here since august 2008 and as 2 posts both made on april the first i sincerly hope that it was for april fools day because this is NOT the kind of member Canuck Audio Mart want's or needs please admin keep an eye on this individual he is quite a character. PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE - for the good of our community.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:04 am 

Some people just like to stir things up, Andre, try not to take it personally. Many people share your interests and passion in audio.

I don't mind hearing from characters on CAM, I find it amusing. Sometimes I learn something new from someone with a different perspective.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:10 am 

Don't nobody say anything bad or I'll have to get out the Tone Control. :lol:

Gotta like those Threshold amps.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 am 

one of the first and biggest jaw dropping moments i had in audio was with one of these old thresholds.

pair of enormous acoustats, threshold amp and pre, oracle delphi, at bracks. holy smokes. one day id like to have some of that stuff lying around. At glens place got the confirmation that this was one memory that holds up- these things still sound great to me.

plan to get some threshold stuff once my current financial situation improves. great amps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:41 pm 

Hi folks..i am not a writer or responder on the interent...this is my 1st time, but re; the stasis 3 amp, i simply felt compelled to add input....i have been an audiophile for 45 years and have had several theshold- forte amp pre amps.. still own 3, a forte model 55, a s/500 optical bias...and...the stasis 3...all sound superb....i owned a new pass 350x, and sold it within a month. it sounded that harsh...owned a 400a class a, not bad no that great. class a is not that big a deal really. But back to the stasis 3 . After having jon sonderberg rebuild my forte 200 wpc amp, model 6 i believe, i asked him if he knew of any other decent amp for a second system he might recommend. He said he had a stasis 3 just rebuild and the owner could not pay and he was allowed to sell it to me for the cost of rebuild, so i took it. In truth, this is THE best sounding amp i have ever heard , particularly in the threshold line, including my one owner s500 that had a $1350 rebuild by Jon. The stasis 3 is clean, clear , nothing overdone or exaggerate with incredible detail and air, that you expect from the threshold line, but this amp exceeded any expectations that i had. You hear about the s500 all the time and it does sound excellent.....i beleive everyone gets a bit hypnotic about it;s power ....but to the actual sound , the stasis 3 has it beat. May be one of the best buys in amps. I am running B&W 802D2'S with a beloved c-j pv12, old school i know, but you have to punch through dozens of heavy weight pre amps to get just a smidge better sound, if that, from the other pre amps. No doubt the s500 is cruising along on the 802's which reqiore a good bit of power, but the stasis 3 never coughs or sounds strained in any way, even thought it is rated at 100wpc, they test out at over 124wpc of actual power , and drive the toughest speakers beautifully. The sound is clean, quiet , detailed precise and SWEET. That is the word...SWEET. In truth it loves the p-v 12 cj, but interestingly does not cotton to the threshold sl10 i also have.

I hope this was informatory for anyone considering one. It truly is one amazing sounding piece, with no bias on my part, just amazed enjoyment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:05 pm 

juna wrote:
Hi folks..i am not a writer or responder on the interent...this is my 1st time, but re; the stasis 3 amp, i simply felt compelled to add input....i have been an audiophile for 45 years and have had several theshold- forte amp pre amps.. still own 3, a forte model 55, a s/500 optical bias...and...the stasis 3...all sound superb....i owned a new pass 350x, and sold it within a month. it sounded that harsh...owned a 400a class a, not bad no that great. class a is not that big a deal really. But back to the stasis 3 . After having jon sonderberg rebuild my forte 200 wpc amp, model 6 i believe, i asked him if he knew of any other decent amp for a second system he might recommend. He said he had a stasis 3 just rebuild and the owner could not pay and he was allowed to sell it to me for the cost of rebuild, so i took it. In truth, this is THE best sounding amp i have ever heard , particularly in the threshold line, including my one owner s500 that had a $1350 rebuild by Jon.

The stasis 3 is clean, clear , nothing overdone or exaggerate with incredible detail and air, that you expect from the threshold line, but this amp exceeded any expectations that i had. You hear about the s500 all the time and it does sound excellent.....i beleive everyone gets a bit hypnotic about it;s power ....but to the actual sound , the stasis 3 has it beat. May be one of the best buys in amps. I am running B&W 802D2'S with a beloved c-j pv12, old school i know, but you have to punch through dozens of heavy weight pre amps to get just a smidge better sound, if that, from the other pre amps. No doubt the s500 is cruising along on the 802's which reqiore a good bit of power, but the stasis 3 never coughs or sounds strained in any way, even thought it is rated at 100wpc, they test out at over 124wpc of actual power , and drive the toughest speakers beautifully. The sound is clean, quiet , detailed precise and SWEET. That is the word...SWEET. In truth it loves the p-v 12 cj, but interestingly does not cotton to the threshold sl10 i also have.

I hope this was informatory for anyone considering one. It truly is one amazing sounding piece, with no bias on my part, just amazed enjoyment.

I helped a friend sell his Threshold Stasis 3 last year. I had it for a few weeks- sold it on Kijiji as it so happens. My friend listed on Kijiji and got interest so fast before I could tell him about CAM which he was not familiar with. His wife wouldn't let strangers in their home so I happily took it off his hands for a bit. I only used a modest pre-amp Harman Kardon A402 integrated pre-out to the Stasis 3. I played it with my Alison AL130U speakers that have morell tweeters. I also have JBL L36, B&W DM 2 MKII speakers at the time. Regardless of the speakers, the Stasis III was easily the best sounding amp I have ever had at my place or had the chance to really listen to and enjoy over a few weeks prior to selling it. I have a Bryston 3B NPB otherwise and my HK 930 receiver, A402, etc. NOt that I would compare them but the Bryston is still a very good amp although not in the Threshold class.

The earlier Nelson Pass designs the 400A are very well regarded but the Stasis 3 is kind of at the pinacle of what they did. This is the only Threshold I have heard at my place spending time with it but I have heard a number of others in the stores especially back in the day. The Stasis 3 is the next generation 100 watt amp after the 400A. I would wonder which one sounds better. I removed the top lid screws to show the interior of the amp. It is so incredibly well build and from what I have read of the design, Nelson Pass design, it was one of his best only fault with Threhold's is that the anodized aluminum front plate with the pewter finish can change colour over time from the heat. It lightens up abit and can look splotchy or whatever. I have a Nakamichi A500 surround pro logic receiver that has some Nelson Pass elements to it, not sure. It sounds great although I only use it for my surround sound.

Great simple Threshold overview page: http://www.threshold-audio.com/about.html

Last edited by Musicware4u on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:38 pm 

banerjba wrote:
Nakamichi had a line of receivers with the Stasis circuitry buit in. Among the best receivers I have ever heard. Beautifully styled and great sounding especially with KEF speakers of the day.

The big Thresholds were how first heard the mighty B&W 801 in Matrix guise . Talk about earth shattering experience. Could never afford to play in that league but Iremember a sense of wow that I rarely hear from modern systems.

Still using a NAK Stasis to drive small B&W bookshelf speakers in the garage. Really quite nice and works well for something so old. Need to clean the pots and input selector again though....

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:07 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

We used a 400A ( albeit rebuilt by our tech - William Boucher) to run our Soltanus Electrostats 2 years ago in Montreal and garnered several best sound of show accolades. The amp once rebuilt was better in every way from the original but nothing of the circuit was changed. He has since rebuilt 2 Stasis 2's with similar results and most recently an SL10 pre and it is wonderful. Fantastic phono stage.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:07 am 

So it's official...there's enough love for the little Stasis amp it deserves its own fan club. Welcome to the board, juna. :) So Jon is still around and fixing these old beauties, eh? He must be getting on in years...

Floyd wrote:
We used a 400A ( albeit rebuilt by our tech - William Boucher) to run our Soltanus Electrostats 2 years ago in Montreal and garnered several best sound of show accolades. The amp once rebuilt was better in every way from the original but nothing of the circuit was changed. He has since rebuilt 2 Stasis 2's with similar results and most recently an SL10 pre and it is wonderful. Fantastic phono stage.
The phono stage alone is probably better than most, but the line stage is pretty good, too. Definitely a high value proposition for what these currently sell for.

Do you know what work he did to it?

banerjba wrote:
Nakamichi had a line of receivers with the Stasis circuitry buit in. Among the best receivers I have ever heard. Beautifully styled and great sounding especially with KEF speakers of the day.
The Stasis topology was licensed to Denon as well. There may be others. Parts quality and build is not the same though.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm 

jnaudio wrote:
i borrowed a threshold stasis 3 Amplifier for a weekend once at the time i owned Maggies 2b speakers more then twenty years later i still remember how good that amplifier sounded im big fan of this amp wondered if anybody else enjoyed this amp as much as i did

I own one. When I played the Brandenburg Concertos on my MC-3000 Ortofon MC Cartridge I compared 400A with Stasis 3. The difference was huge. The bass while it was being bowed simply sounded like bottom end frequency on the 400A whereas you could hear the string resonating and the bow gliding across it on the Stasis 3. It was like 400A was night and Stasis 3 was daytime.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:05 pm 

The Threshold Stasis 3 and Magmapan III were part of my very first decent system , If there ever was a perfect match for the Maggie the Stasis was it back then.

I remember it well ,35 years ago I made a complete system purchase , table , arm cartridge, tube preamp ,amp and speakers however I put my total faith in the dealer / owner for this package and he failed to realize Magnapans need a high current amp .

Ultimately I wasn’t satisfied , something was wrong which turned out after a monumental waste of my time and travel back and forth the culprit was the Wrong amplifiers , music was bland and univolving .

After the 8th trip back to the idiot dealer I saw the Threshold sitting on the floor and was immediately attracted to it , it was a trade in , I bought it , hooked it up and was floored how it drove the Maggies ,..Loved it and needless to say I never returned to that store again ,..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 am 

I am replacing the Stasis and the 400A with two hot-rodded SA-2 monoblocks. Their capacitance has been upgraded about 3 times factory levels, so they are effortless deliverers of arc-welding current. I think they will be keepers.