Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:13 pm 

Is it better to buy another W5 and bridge together ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:07 am 

That's what I was suggesting in my last post with the speacial cable Simaudio has for that purpose. If I were you , I would email Simaudio about it. They are very responsive to any emails and could give you more imfo.
Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:39 am 

solidstate9 wrote:
MOON wrote:
I will be going that way as well, already have the P-7 Evolution pre and Supernova Evolution cdp. Solidstate9 - what powercord did you end up putting on the W-7? I had read somewhere that the ESP cords mate very well with Sim, both pre's and amps.
Cheers

I also have the P7 and Supernova - W7 and I have been a happy camper
Re Cables: I tried a Transparent first and it was worse and the Grant fidelity pc1.5 power cable was better. I have Nickle power (Simaudio dealer Loyalty Sound) house brand as well and it is good. Now I have Moray James 3.5 version on the whole system. The cable thing is try before you buy.

I tried Grant Fidelity 1.5 with an acceptable improvement in bass definition, no change in top end air. Then I did the death-of-a-thousand-cuts with Nordost. Shiva was worse, Vishnu was noticeably better, then Brahma and finally Valhalla. Brahma and Valhalla are fantastic. The biggest difference was to my CDP and phono stage, next the power amp, and least but still audible was to the preamp. My system: Sim Supernova CDP, Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 preamp with Parts Connextion platinum upgrade, Ayre V5xe power amp, Thorens TD-166-II TT and Blue Circle BC707 phono stage.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:35 pm 

MOON wrote:
That's what I was suggesting in my last post with the speacial cable Simaudio has for that purpose. If I were you , I would email Simaudio about it. They are very responsive to any emails and could give you more imfo.
Cheers

I second this suggestion!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:59 am 

I use Kimber Palladian Pk-10 and Stealth M21 Super now. I think these are good cables.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:29 pm 

cwlam3 wrote:
Is it better to buy another W5 and bridge together ?

I would agree that the W-6 is a downgrade from the W5. The W5 was a highly regarded amp. And there is much debate on whether simaudio has improved upon it, and only if you pay for the newest top end products available from them.

I talked to Simaudio earlier about matching w5's and they told me it was important to get two W5's close together in serial # because of running updates and differences in how the front plate was finished (minor colour differences in different runs).

In the end they said it is easier to run W-10's than to source two bridged w5's.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:14 am 

I know this is an old thread but I can't find a good recent discussion about these amps.

My question is, how many of you guys are talking about the original 170W W-5 with thick "pewter" faceplate and gold Sim Audio badge, versus the 190W W-5 black/silver faceplates with MOON badge?

I have the original one. My understanding is the newer versions sacrificed warmth and smoothness for control and resolution, but I am not speaking from first hand experience. I like what I have very much - I am ready for more, but more of the same please! What are my options?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:02 am 

DR3 wrote:
I know this is an old thread but I can't find a good recent discussion about these amps.

My question is, how many of you guys are talking about the original 170W W-5 with thick "pewter" faceplate and gold Sim Audio badge, versus the 190W W-5 black/silver faceplates with MOON badge?

I have the original one. My understanding is the newer versions sacrificed warmth and smoothness for control and resolution, but I am not speaking from first hand experience. I like what I have very much - I am ready for more, but more of the same please! What are my options?

I only used the Moon badged Pewter W5 190 watt and the "new" 5 year old W7. Newer higher resolution W5 W7 may sound cooler than the gold badged units but that is because the bass is so clean and tight (resolution and focus). If your speakers can resolve the "low" low end you will love the newer amps. Music floating in space behind and around your speakers with real, I mean live sounding instruments. Poorly recorded media is not welcome of course, and that includes crappy poor vinyl; you can hear into the recordings so far any mistakes either recording or playing are obvious. The good news the old Pewter Moon amps are alot cheaper now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:14 pm 

Thanks very interesting!

I wasn't aware of a pewter W5 with moon badge, only the gold badge. For example, this one in the classifieds right now:

That is what I own and have been calling pewter. I was considering buying another and bridging them, or just getting monoblocks. How does the W10 compare to what you aready described?

Have you heard the new 400M? Very well reviewed here:
http://www.soundstage.com/index.php?opt ... amplifiers

Could it be return of the "golden" Sims? Perhaps they finally realized some people were missing the old sound at the old prices.

-- 10 Feb 2012 02:05 --

valvesandvinyl wrote:
The Simaudio gear does sound much more powerful. This is because the Simaudio amplifiers have more GAIN.

I wish they would stop doing this. Almost everyone solid-state does 29dB and Bryston does selectable 23/29 dB which is great for people with big tube preamps like me. There is not a single Simaudio below 31 dB and some are as high as 37 dB! < 1 mV input sensitivity on a 500W amp gimme a break!