Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:03 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Note to Underhill: The output transformers on the Leak Stereo 20 are pretty unique. I suspect they were hand wound, given the era of its production, as were the Quad valve trannys of that day. There were small inserts at the top that allowed you to change the taps for the speaker load. I have also seen pictures of mods to the transformer cases to allow better cooling.

When I finally junked my Stereo 20 (a long story found in the CAM archives) I stupidly did not pull the transformers off and shelve them. This was really a dumb move, as the trannys were part of the sound field, as well as quite valuable in their own right. Hand wound transformers, long pair, V1 being the main gain stage, and tops 15-17 watts per channel, plus laddered passive components.

I had some correspondence with a guy in Japan who had a collection of them. One came up on CAM about five years ago and was gone, overseas I think, within hours.

Somebody ought to start building replicas. I would sure as hell buy one.

Cheers,

David Neice

David. RE: Building replicas. Wishful thinking and good luck with that. Unless of course you intend to use the original output trannies for the replicas.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:20 am 

Hi,

eclectique wrote: ' Building replicas. Wishful thinking and good luck with that. '

Your right. Wishful thinking. It would require a brace of post-war British ladies sitting at primitive work benches hand winding transformers - or at least that's what an old Quad photo I once saw suggested they were doing. I could kick myself for tossing those transformers.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:26 am 

I have an opportunity to buy a pair of tl12+ monos. Have you heard these at all?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:35 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

malthuse wrote:
Wow, I appreciate that. I have a sneaking suspicion that I wouldn’t be able to replicate it, I might need to prove it to myself.

He's right, you can't reproduce the sound of an EL84, with anything other than an EL84.

Afficionado's who know, who listen, and are paying attention.. say the el84 is it, when it comes to being a sweet sounding tube. It's a pinnacle, of sorts and everything else is a step down. If you want more of that sound, well, too bad as that's all there is. Just the one tube.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:18 am 

buybye88 wrote:
I could kick myself for tossing those transformers.

Forgive yourself for this - we've all made mistakes.
Mine have mostly been with women
and some real estate I should have bought.

I had a pair of Quicksilver mid mono blocks.
Octal base EL34's, 6L6's or KT88's can be run in these amps,
and I thought the sonics of this amp was quite good.

Quicksilver has recently released an integrated amp
that uses an octet of EL84's
https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details ... s/1603389/

However, with my humble little 2528 Tannoys, I got a chance to directly
compare amps with a quad of EL84's , EL34's and 6L6's (and later KT88's)
and by far my favourite tube were St. Petersburg Svetlana winged =C= EL34's.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:19 pm 

Hi,

Note to Underhill. I had Quicksilver monoblocks too. I forget now the exact tube type, but it was a pair of the original Quickies and when that specific tube type ended they then went over to the three tube version that you had. I drove the Quickies with a Conrad-Johnson PV5 preamp and the sound field was quite engaging with a pair of Spendor BC1s. I used to rotate in and out the Quickies and some DIY modded Dyna Stereo 70s I had around. The latter are EL34 push/pull types and there is a certain goofy and very addictive mid-range bloom to many of the EL34 amps that is hard to dislodge once you are hooked on it. All this happened after the Leak Stereo 20 died of heat fatigue. I ran that bloody thing for like thousands of hours.

Anyway, all of them were different, at least through the Spendors, which are very revealing especially in the critical mid-range. The Quickies (I bought them from a Quad ESL63 guy) were, I thought, a lot more neutral and 'monitory sounding' than the Dyna Stereo 70s, but neither of them was as glorious as the Leak. Of course the EL84s and the Leak, it could be argued, were undoubtedly very coloured, but that colouration was hugely euphonic and engaging.

I read somewhere that Quicksilver was bringing out an EL84 design but I didn't follow up. Thanks for the reminder. Ken Hotte (of TEO) is I think right. An EL84 tube is top of the planet if the total amp design works. Next in line for me is the EL34 and triodes don't turn my crank. But, by the way, Audio Note has been threatening for two years to release a new EL34 design, the Cobra. No sightings of it as to date. I kept writing to Peter Qvortrup about it and he finally stopped replying. There was some issue with the chassis design.

Also, in fact I am heading to Montreal on Sunday to visit 'Coup de Foudre', the Montreal dealer who handles Shindo, Leben, Line Magnetic and Unison Research. I met them at TAVES five years ago and they really are the business. I will audition primarily EL34s with them from the above companies and the Unison 'Simply Italy' is quite high on my list, a peanut wattage little wonder with a single EL34 per side.

I will report in a couple of weeks on my visit because from Montreal we are going on to NFLD for a week to (hopefully) see some icebergs. Back around July 2nd.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 am 

I am wondering how 6550 tubes fit in the above mix. Specifically Svetlana winged C 6550's. I have a VTL amp that utilises 6550's & absolutely love it. I have the VTL switched on triode rather than tetrode which is its other option.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:39 am 

Lutherton wrote:
Sonic Frontiers made an EL84 amp under the Anthem name. It has two pairs of EL84 tubes per channel, for 40wpc, if memory serves.

Correct. It was called the ANTHEM AMP 1.

With a few, small modifications and some 'Top Notch' NOS Tubes...
It offered very, good 'Value' for the Dollar.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:28 am 

starman100 wrote:
I am wondering how 6550 tubes fit in the above mix. Specifically Svetlana winged C 6550's. I have a VTL amp that utilises 6550's & absolutely love it. I have the VTL switched on triode rather than tetrode which is its other option.

it doesn't.

the el84 is the "poor mans 300b". if one likes the tube find a speaker that properly pairs with it.

each tube has its own signature, mind u other things do come into play as others mentioned.

and speaking of mention, my 2 bits for a kinda sorta similar with a bit more on tap would be an 845 but that's a tube for deep pockets.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:40 am 

Hi,

Binky wrote:' my 2 bits for a kinda sorta similar with a bit more on tap would be an 845 but that's a tube for deep pockets.'

Not just deep pockets they also require laxer Asian import regulations. I have only seen one 845 design on display here in the great white north over the past five years.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:57 am 

But still attainable...
Dared, Psvane, Line Magnetic, Music Angel...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:33 pm 

Hi,

Note to Binky: It was a Line Magnetic 845 at the Coup de Foudre (Montreal shop) booth at TAVES about five years ago. Lovely sound through Line Magnetic speakers. I thought it was best of show that year until I heard the open baffle set-up in the Grant Fidelity room.

Cheers,
David Neice