Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 pm 

omclive wrote:
I run a biamped rig. They have to built specifically for this as you can easilly screw things up time wise. If I as much as screw with the way my amps are plugged into the wall the sound stage disapears, change an interconnect and things can get real ugly. I wouldn't bother with what you are thinking.

Really? Are my ears that bad? I bi-amp this way (tube for tweeters, SS for woofers), and it sounds excellent.

I'm in Victoria, too. Come over and show me what I'm doing wrong? Or show me what you are doing right?

:D

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:48 am 

You can do it, it's just that if you don't get things just right, it won't be as satisfying as you want.

You really need an active crossover with gain controls to accomplish this. You could build or buy simple passive volume pots to try to do this, but it doesn't work nearly as well. Without some way to adjust gain on one of the two amp pairs (or amps), you'll most likely have way too much of something (hi or low).

I've tried this in the past with passive volume pots in front of the amps and it worked - used a spl meter to get them close. Was using Dyna Mk 3s for the top and something SS for the low. It worked, but I was always wondering about the extra interconnects etc. I did borrow an active x-over to test and it was better, but I returned it rather than buy it.

I also tried this with the same SS bass amps and an AR CA-50 (tube) integrated for the top end. This actually worked better as the volume on the CA-50 allowed me to set their gain easier.

Bryston still makes a decent crossover btw.

In the end, I'm currently leaning much more to the single amp camp. I was bi-amping Mani-2s with a pair of 4B-ssts, but was able to sell those, add some cash and end up with a Krell 402e. While I thought the Brystons sounded good, the Krell, as a single amp sounds awesome.

IMHO, take the money you'd spend (or get from selling) 2 amps and a crossover, plus the ICs and put it into one really good amp, use the KISS principle, you'll probably enjoy things more.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:47 am 

stereoitis,

After reading this thread I think that your speakers would benefit strongly from using multiple amps using the active crossover. Your speakers seem to be very unique.

I have a simple system that allows for passive bi-amping and I also wanted to try using tube and solid state amps but haven't got around to it yet.

I did however try bi-amping using two identical solid state amps equipped with sensitivity controls so you can adjust the gain on both amps. Matching the two amps is what will give you the most balanced sound.

https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7335

I suggest you try anything you want pending time and resources because experimentation in this hobby can be a lot of fun. Let your ears be your guide and don't let others tell you what you should or shouldn't do with your system.

Audiois1st

Check out My Components: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/userprofile.php?user_id=39933

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:24 am 

Just to note guys – this is an 8 year old thread. User stereoitis is no longer a member (at least under that handle) and it looks like omclive hasn’t taken part in the forums for a few years.

Kb007 – going to assume you have removed the passive x-overs within your speakers. A key detail when bi-amping with an active x-over

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:10 am 

If it's an active bi-amping you can use anything you want for power as gain won't be an issue.