Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:04 pm 

Hi,

I'm new on the CAM forum although I've been a member of CAM for six years now. I need advice, please, on wether my suspicions are warranted concerning a seller (I won't name the seller though).

I'm interested in an item for sale on CAM. The seller has been a member since Jun, 2016 and has three items for sale. On his profile there is no previous feedback as either a seller or buyer, no contact information and the name given (I'll use mine as an example) e.g. : "Bob Audio". The only information he lists is the city he's located in.

I looked up, e.g. : "Bob Audio", in the city that is on his profile & have found nothing. I'm not very trusting of this type of advertisement and lack of seller/ buyer history &/ or contact information.

Am I right ?

Thanks,

Bob Gosselin
Milton, NS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:13 pm 

BobG wrote:
Hi,

I'm new on the CAM forum although I've been a member of CAM for six years now. I need advice, please, on wether my suspicions are warranted concerning a seller (I won't name the seller though).

I'm interested in an item for sale on CAM. The seller has been a member since Jun, 2016 and has three items for sale. On his profile there is no previous feedback as either a seller or buyer, no contact information and the name given (I'll use mine as an example) e.g. : "Bob Audio". The only information he lists is the city he's located in.

I looked up, e.g. : "Bob Audio", in the city that is on his profile & have found nothing. I'm not very trusting of this type of advertisement and lack of seller/ buyer history &/ or contact information.

Am I right ?

Thanks,

Bob Gosselin
Milton, NS

Trust your gut.

If you have a bad feeling ... then walk away.

There will always be other deals.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:19 pm 

Only you can know what feels right in this situation.

Me, if the guy was buying from me I'd ask questions. I've never bought from anyone without rep.

It's one of the few things that protects you to some extent. Positive rep is no guarantee but some feedback is better than none.

I'd pass and look for the same item from someone who is at least willing to provide background on who they are and preferably has positive feedback.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:19 pm 

Hi,

Trust your instincts! Never do business transactions with people on-line unless you have clear information that confirms their identity and residence and location. Any legitimate CAM participant who wishes to sell components and other items to you will openly reveal their identity and their intentions. Pass over anybody and any situation where your implicit sense of trust is ever in question.

Cheers,
David Neice

Last edited by buybye88 on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:44 pm 

If you really want one of the items, try contacting him and see how the communication goes. "No feedback" is probably a neutral value and it might just mean that he has never sold anything here before. It is hard to generate seller feedback until one actually sells something. A phone call might give you a more accurate impression and you could insist on paying with Paypal. If he has been a member for a year and a half, and has never sold anything before, to me it implies that he did not sign up for nefarious purposes or he would have acted sooner.
The only time that I was seriously scammed it was done by an established and reputable business which was failing, and the new owner was not dealing with it well.
..........but yes, "trust your instincts" for sure, and stay within the level of risk that you are comfortable with.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:50 pm 

A phone conversation always works for me.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:11 pm 

I'm a new member here, and I've sold a few things recently despite having little feedback. FWIW, I think it's fair to expect that someone with little feedback would compensate by being clear and forthcoming in their communication. There's gotta be *some* mechanism for establishing trust! Personally I wouldn't be offended if someone told me they were a little unsure about me and wanted some extra reassurance. It makes sense.

-- 19 Dec 2017 03:14 --

You might also look and see if the seller's been active in the forums. Might help to give you a better sense of who they are & what they're like.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:35 pm 

BobG wrote:
Hi,

Am I right ?

Thanks,

Bob Gosselin
Milton, NS

Ask for his telephone number -and address. Any decent guy would understand and likely enjoy a bit of hi-fi chit-chat.
Finally, if you get a 'bad-feeling' about it -move on.
I've always enjoyed the items I purchased on CAM for both the merchandise and seller interaction.

peter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 pm 
Premium User

Last edited by byefi on Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:07 pm 

allhifi wrote:
BobG wrote:
Hi,

Am I right ?

Thanks,

Bob Gosselin
Milton, NS

Ask for his telephone number -and address. Any decent guy would understand and likely enjoy a bit of hi-fi chit-chat.
Finally, if you get a 'bad-feeling' about it -move on.
I've always enjoyed the items I purchased on CAM for both the merchandise and seller interaction.

peter

Yup.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:09 pm 

all this not relevant.
By w/ Paypal only.
total protection for you as buyer!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:59 am 

I have to agree with many CAM members, trust your gut. Does the item come with a "to good to be true scenario"? Try to see if his name pops up on Ebay and/or Kijiji. I have only had one bad transaction on CAM and it was a transaction that never happen. The gentlemen decided after numerous email conversations that he didn't want to do business with me. I took that as a message and stopped the transactions.

Your gut is always right. There are other transactions to be made, move on!

Rega Planar 3 TT/Nagaoka MP-11 Cart/Technics SL-7 TT/Grado Black Cart/NAD C725BEE Receiver/NAD C545BEE CD player/NAD 613 Cass Player/NAD PP2/NAD HP20/Totem Arro Speakers/Technics SL-MC7 CD Changer/Apple Airpods/Sony MDR-1000X/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:21 am 

The lack of info (most of it would be fake anyway if the seller was a scammer), is not a factor. Some people don't bother to complete their profile and more and more of us are occasional sellers at best. I no longer find it worth the effort to sell equipment unless you have what many CAM members want- a deal bargoon for something underpriced. Have you seen what 2200 series Marantz receivers sell for around here? How about Thorens, Ariston, Linn tables etc.. all overpriced. Ask for a phone number and call the guy. No number, don't bother and pass. The number of former regular members I have seen that are no longer on CAM is astonishing. Maybe they troll CAM but they don't sell and or post on the forums.

Oh and only buy with Paypal. If the sellers asks for EFT, run for the hills.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:26 am 

Markwatkiss wrote:

+1

Ask him (her?) for his address and say you have an audio buddy who lives in the same area and he'll audition the gear for you. If he balks at an audition, then walk away.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:37 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
Markwatkiss wrote:

+1

Ask him (her?) for his address and say you have an audio buddy who lives in the same area and he'll audition the gear for you. If he balks at an audition, then walk away.

Forums have shown that CAMmers have volunteered in the past to go have a look on behalf of others.
In order to PM with others, you'll have to post a few more times to activate PM.
All the advise on establishing phone contact is right.
Those who are suggesting 0 feedback is an exit rush, forget they too once started at 0.
Those who suggest rushing ahead and trusting PayPal as your trusted partner have forgotten anxiety and hassle.
If the seller won't provide the phone number and converse, the majority opinion of trust your instincts and stop is the answer you were looking for.