Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:37 am 

amarquis wrote:
TMart99 wrote:
amarquis wrote:
The interesting question though is how you were drawn to Revelation speakers down there in Carolina. The speakers were of a nice slim design, very attractice. But in this crazy audio world with small manufacturers appearing here and there with "garage" type of operations, how come you could not find something suitable locally. I'm not blaming you. But your case is quite instructive.

I believe I addressed that, in one of my posts.

I had purchased a pair of Odyssey Audio Nightingale speakers from Klaus, of Odyssey Audio. That was back in 2004. The Nightingale and Lyra 2 are essentially the same speakers. I originally contacted Alain to buy another pair, because Klaus no longer carried the Nightingale. I knew that from his audio forum on Audio Circle. But I didn't know he had severed all ties with Alain.

8) I'm a banker. Have been for the last 30 yrs. Apart from the miserable scum ones, most people filing bankrupcy see it as a dent to their honor and self respect. When creditors are up your throat, no matter how hard you try to live up to everybody's expectancies including your own, you have no choice to let go. That is when you start not replying to calls or letters, lacking the courage to say to somebody "I've lost everything including your money". You buy for time, expecting for a miracle, hoping for somebody to bail you out. So you don't answer.

I'm not saying Alain Courteau is honest or not. I don't know the whole case here. But I've seen so many, the same pattern perfectly fits here. I'm just saying what happens when people file bankrupcy, which is perfectly covered by laws in this country. Laws made to give everybody a chance to start contributing again to society.

So my question remains the same. You had "some" signs from Odyssey Audio that something was out of the ordinary. My profession provided me with that kind of sense, which is not accessible to everyone, I confess. You admit having the same preoccupations. But you could not refrain from getting the same speakers through Alain, probably unaware of the slippery situation. And too far away, to see and check with your own eyes where your money was going, which I also understand as an audio nut myself. Can you tell us what are the facts that ascertain he is truely dishonest or misleading. But then again, isn't it the concern of all very last customers of people going belly up ?

My point is what more do you want to achieve by seeking vengeance on Alain after all this time. If you consider fair to throw back publicly the situation at his face, then maybe it should be asked if we should pursue everybody for their misgivings or mistakes causing their bankrupcy. Why not post "WANTED" everywhere on the net for all bankrupcees ?! On your side of the border, that should amount to about 2 million households who lost their home recently. Maybe a few parents or friends of yours ! All cheaters and disloyal persons !!?? I don't think so !

Greetings !

1) There is no indication whatsoever that Alain Courteau filed for bankrupcy. In fact, the evidence indicates otherwise.

1a) Alain Courteau sold Revelation Audio (the brand name) and all speakers and remaining materials to Pierre. The transaction occured between Alain Courteau and Pierre. Alain Courteau received a rather significant payment from Pierre and immediately went on holiday for several weeks. This has been confirmed. That does not reflect a bankrupcy scenario.

2) I was aware that Klaus had decided to change his speaker line, change builders and change the source of his speaker cabinets. I only knew what Klaus indicated on his forum. I should have called Klaus right there and inquired about the change. But I foolishly did not consider that some thing had gone bad with Alain. I thought it was simply a change of direction by Klaus. My mistake.

3) When I initially called Alain to place the order, he told me he had to build me the speakers and that it would take a little time. I sent payment and waited for him to build them. After two months, I started inquiriing about my speakers and that's when the excuses of shortage of materials began. Then claims to a redesign.

Then my mother suffered a serious health emergency and I spent much of the next 6-8 months traveling back and forth between New Jersey and North Carolina. I had little time to focus much on the Alain and my speaker situation. When I did get back to trying to reach him, he did not repsond for two months (because he was allegedly on Holiday).

More excuses, more problems and more material shortages...from Alain. December of 2008, I noticed he had an updated version of the Lyra 2 on the Revelation Audio website. A similar design with new drivers. I called Studio 1006 and asked if they had them in stock and out on display. Pierre confirmed he had both stock and display.

I was fed up and demanded he settle this matter. I requested a refund or that he send me anything of equal value. Even a subwoofer. He swore and promised he would get the speakers (the new Lyra 2) shipped out to me, as soon as the new drivers arrived. Then in February of 2009, he stopped responding or answering the phone.

It's clear he was in fact, designing and building new speakers during this time period that he owed me my speakers or a full refund. I received neither.

This is disingenuous and fraudulent behavior.

Last edited by TMart99 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:42 am 

OBI56 wrote:
Here is the link to the Québec Government Web site pertaining to Small Claims Court and everything you need to know about how and who to sue, even if you are not physically available to appear before the court. The current maximum is $7,000.

http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/english/p ... -a.htm#sue

Thank you!

I will contact them, immediately.

And Musicware4u, thank you for your support.

I'm not letting go of it till I get satisfaction.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:16 pm 

I called the Quebec goverment, in regards to Small Claims. I have all the information to go forward. Thank you.

Evidence of new speaker designs.....a review from January 2009

http://www.revelationaudio.com/pdf/revelation.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:26 pm 

edited as I don't see much recourse.....

Last edited by Alex65 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:49 pm 

Alex65 wrote:
The banker who replied speaks as though he has intimate knowledge of Mr.Courteau.Also his advice is incredibly hypicritical. I know a collegue who was having trouble and the bank harrassed the **** out of her,trying to embarrass her into coughing up,calling at work repeatedly etc etc.This is what banks do if someone is unable to pay. Someone posting on this board is childs play compared to the cut throat attitude of some banks.

8) As a matter of fact, I don't ! And we all are hypocrits when buying anything we can't afford thinking it is always the lender's fault if we can't repay.

Like I said, this matter is quite typical. I don't know Alain Courteau but can witness his case is quite similar to alot encountered every year.

As for collecting agencies (used by banks when calls are not answered back, letters ignored, when all attempt to reach customers have failed), they employ people who are doing their jobs correctly and others not ! Our code of conduct forbids calls at undue hours and especially at work, at least in Quebec, there are laws against these practises. But I can't vouch for collecting agencies and the methods they use although I may say they are employed by many businesses apart from banks. A lot of people lend money in this crazy world, starting from the bank counter, through giant retailers and car makers including your local Future Shop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:20 pm 

You keep talking in the context of bankrupcy, but that's not applicable, here.

Alain Courteau has not filed for banckrupcy. He would have not received payment in the sale of Revelation audio, from Pierre Sweeney; if he was in Bankrupcy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:30 pm 

According to Small Claims of Quebec City, I do have recourse.

I first will send an official Demand Letter to Alain Courteau. If after 14 days I do not receive a response and attempt to settle this matter out of court, from Alain Courteau. I will then file a Small Claims form, which I can do by having it notorized/sworn and then mail it to Small Claims of Quebec City. At a cost of $99.00.

After that, Alain will be officially served with the suit and subpoena to appear in court.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:47 pm 

TMart99 wrote:
According to Small Claims of Quebec City, I do have recourse.

I first will send an official Demand Letter to Alain Courteau. If after 14 days I do not receive a response and attempt to settle this matter out of court, from Alain Courteau. I will then file a Small Claims form, which I can do by having it notorized/sworn and then mail it to Small Claims of Quebec City. At a cost of $99.00.

After that, Alain will be officially served with the suit and subpoena to appear in court.

Good Luck to you! There was a similar discussion here about small claims court, and someone commented that even if you win the judgment, it's not all that easy collecting despite the judgment being in your favor. See thread below:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14127&p=203244#p203244

I don't have any experience with small claims court, someone with experience may chime in and let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:02 pm 

Preda-tech wrote:
... even if you win the judgment, it's not all that easy collecting despite the judgment being in your favor.

Wouldn't it be possible to place a lein on any personal holdings (car, home, etc?)

~ Clarke's 3rd Law

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:06 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Preda-tech wrote:
... even if you win the judgment, it's not all that easy collecting despite the judgment being in your favor.

Wouldn't it be possible to place a lein on any personal holdings (car, home, etc?)

Good point Rip.....I don't know, after all the plaintiff is from the U.S.
:?:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:12 pm 

Thanks guys.

Obviously I want my money back.

But it's also important to alert people of this guy, so as to avoid whatever his latest scam is.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:40 pm 

I agree. From what I understand the Canadian banks have much better regulation and are some of the most stable banks in the world. If the U.S banks had that same level of regulation it may have well never happened.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:52 pm 

Alex65 wrote:
I agree. From what I understand the Canadian banks have much better regulation and are some of the most stable banks in the world. If the U.S banks had that same level of regulation it may have well never happened.

:lol: Am I to understand that now, I'm one of the good guys !!??

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:00 pm 

I don't think the banks are completely innocent here either.Just look at the credit card system. Banks here are stable because they answer to someone.I think if allowed the same sort of thing would go on here as well. I lashed out because I saw what a collegue went through( nothing personal towards you). That is why I deleted the post but apparently not before you copied it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:32 pm 

I hope the op gets his money back.I hate hearing stories like this.

Alain is an embarrassment to me as a Canadian. If I was having trouble, a phone call and a pledge to do what it takes to get the money back is the minimum I'd be willing to let myself off with, unless that was completely unreasonable/impossible. I don't think I could sleep at night until I was able to give people's money back.

Good luck!

And thanks very much for posting- it is important to name people like this openly so that they can be avoided- I appreciate your effort, and your humility at being able to admit this loss on a forum.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next