Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:12 pm 

Hey BinkyTheCat, don't suggest that I am an idiot or lack common sense. Know the full story before you comment, and if you don't have anything nice or productive to say then don't say anything at all. The guy is fairly local to me and has conned me in different ways than you are likely thinking of. He is like a walking/breathing ponzi scheme. I found out about his scams after I dealt with him. One doesn't really think of google searching a person before conducting transactions do they? I even knew where he lived prior to his ex likely kicking him out of the house. After that I do not know where he went. And then I got this random text informing me about his passing. This could be complete BS just to get me off his back. This is where maybe we can compare stories to potentially find this guy? Here are some interesting reads that can be found all over the internet:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/The-Baza ... IT,1234938

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/The-Baza ... ER,1253070

http://www.mxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=34344&start=9

http://forums.rmdra.com/viewtopic.php?t=11761

There is alot more out there if you google search it. I may need to post on this one more time so that I can receive PM.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm 

AudiOhm wrote:
When you google 'insidelinemoto'.

You get http://www.insidelinemoto.com/

Based out of Orange, CA USA...

Regards
Ohms

Started scamming in motor cycles in 2010...

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:11 pm 

Yes, as well as electronics, mopeds, scooters, mini bikes, bmx bikes, mountain bikes, motocross bikes, vehicles, vehicles parts....... list goes on it seems. So any club or forum any of these items share, this guy has likely lurked scamming people.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:34 pm 

crfmotox wrote:
Hey BinkyTheCat, don't suggest that I am an idiot or lack common sense. Know the full story before you comment, and if you don't have anything nice or productive to say then don't say anything at all. The guy is fairly local to me and has conned me in different ways than you are likely thinking of. He is like a walking/breathing ponzi scheme. I found out about his scams after I dealt with him. One doesn't really think of google searching a person before conducting transactions do they? I even knew where he lived prior to his ex likely kicking him out of the house. After that I do not know where he went. And then I got this random text informing me about his passing. This could be complete BS just to get me off his back. This is where maybe we can compare stories to potentially find this guy? Here are some interesting reads that can be found all over the internet:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/The-Baza ... IT,1234938

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/The-Baza ... ER,1253070

http://www.mxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=34344&start=9

http://forums.rmdra.com/viewtopic.php?t=11761

There is alot more out there if you google search it. I may need to post on this one more time so that I can receive PM.

sorry but I see things the way they are.
assuming ad was thru cam you sent 550 smackers to an unknown person. not just to yourself but the entire cam community (re. zero feedback = no one knows his ass from a hole in the ground)

even 2 minutes of googling would have tossed some flags.

yes, we all started at zero but myself I purchased items from established cammers to attain my buyer feedback.
as a seller I started with small items and worked my way up to hopefully gain some trust.

....and then you go and say he was local?! why didn't you do a face to face???

and the paypal / emt dispute. I use both but despise paypals effin thieving fees.

both are safe imo... its the asshat that abuses these to his/her advantage that wrecks it for all.

face it, you took a serious leap of faith and because of that I feel no remorse.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:43 pm 

My heart goes out to those who have been scammed and abused by 0 feedback CAM users. It is really painful when someone does that to another person by establishing trust and then betraying it. I have not been scammed, but came very close (I believe) last winter with a 0 feedback new user in MTL, but as a seller I stuck to my guns that I would only accept EMT (I feel this is 100% justified if you have good feedback). He tried to get me to agree to a number of other payments schemes and offered sob stories until I cut him off. These guys are pro manipulators and we should not jump to judgement when a good hearted CAM member is ripped off. It is hard when you are in their grips!

I know a globally renowned medical researcher and excellent human being, now 90 years old and still very sharp, who was taken over a period of weeks by a shady contractor/con artist for $30,000. My heart broke when I saw the shame he was feeling, and I can't call that his fault.

On the other hand, when the campgrounds are full and someone tells you to camp under the bridge - keep driving!

Thank you to all for the helpful parts of of the conversation! One reason I have not been a scam victim is that I read these forums and carefully consider the discussions within. Best Regards.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:59 pm 

Angus wrote:
Well after buying and selling on Canuck since its inception I finally got scammed by Dave @ insidelinemoto for $530. I emailed Dave and had good correspondences with him, in fact he mentioned he lived in my home town of London on Warncliffe Street at one point in his life. I felt comfortable with him even though he did not have feedback... but at one point neither did I. His original posting was from Alberta but who knows where he is from. I am a divorced dad with support responsibilities and $530 is a lot of money for me to lose. So I put this out to remind all you quality members to watch out and if you know how I can get my money back ( doubt it...it was emt) or other suggestions let me know. Canuck is aware of this and are taking measures. Thanks greg

BTW....enjoy the music.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 pm 

Sorry to read this unpleasant post.

BinkyTheCat wrote:
... it, you took a ... and because of ... remorse.

I do not share the sentiments behind it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:13 pm 

Toby wrote:
Sorry to read this unpleasant post.

BinkyTheCat wrote:
... it, you took a ... and because of ... remorse.

I do not share the sentiments behind it.

That's your right and I respect it.
It was not my intention to be unpleasant, merely in perhaps a somewhat blunt manner stating my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:33 am 

I think I mentioned this earlier, but if someone is going to use EMT, or any other form of payment, make contact over the phone with Google Duo. If the seller or buyer do not agree then step away.

The equipment and the person can be seen, this may give a little more confidence that the deal is real and not a scam...
https://duo.google.com/

Regards
Ohms

www.leohl.ca

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:58 am 

if you're dealing with someone you don't think you can trust, and its a high value item do the following:

ask for scan of drivers lisence, with matching picture of their home, address visible, so you can google maps it. request at least one or two face time sessions so you can talk to them, get a feel of who they are. ask for original reciepts, or copy of invoice if they have, and detailed provenance of the item in question youre buying. make sure you find out why they are selling, and what they are replacing the item sold with.

honestly, if the seller is honest, and wants to make a sale, he will accomodate you. if he won't do any of the aforementioned things, even just one, i would say the transaction isn't worth the trouble.

for the record, i did all of this with a gentleman from quebec who i purchased my pass labs amplifier from. it was probably the smoothest transaction i've ever done, and he only had ONE feedback! i know i shouldn't trust someone just because he seems like a kind old guy, but the level of communication and willingness to do what i asked really sold me on his character, integrity and my trust that he wouldn't scam. i sent him $3k emt and he shipped it out the next day. great stuff!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 am 

iriszizka wrote:
if you're dealing with someone you don't think you can trust, and its a high value item do the following:

ask for scan of drivers lisence, with matching picture of their home, address visible, so you can google maps it.

Requesting a scanned picture of the other party’s drivers licence means they can request the same of you. With identity theft being on the rise, I would strongly advise against this. Besides, a little photoshop skill can go a long way. It would take 5 min for me to doctor a scanned picture of my drivers license to make it looked like I lived anywhere within Ontario. Not to mention the endless samples that can be found on the web.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:55 am 
Premium User

It feels like the incidence of scamming is increasing here on CAM. Long-time members, what are your thoughts? I haven’t purchased anything too esoteric here but I also find that it is ok to step away from a transaction that doesn’t feel right because you are being asked to do something against your better judgment. If you miss the streetcar, there’s always another one five minutes behind it...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:47 am 

Yeah asking for a driver's license would not go over well. If someone asked me for that I'd tell them to pound sand. What am I supposed to do, give you my SIN too? :lol:

If you don't feel good about the transaction, don't do it. Period.

Letting your emotions and excitement get in the way is when your judgement can get clouded -- this is speaking from experience. I got so excited about a camera lens that I paid EMT to some Kijiji ad and of course it was a scam (normally photogs are pretty honest people but anyways). After I realized what was going on, I googled a bunch and sure enough I eventually found out someone else had been scammed the same way where the seller uses some fake shipping company. Warrant is out for the person's arrest as they actually found out they live in Ontario but I haven't heard anything for over two years now (and out $700).

I've sold two pretty high-priced items and naturally the buyer's wanted to pay by Paypal. I eventually found enough information about them and got to know them well enough that I felt comfortable accepting Paypal.

End of the day you gotta trust your gut and be a bit more methodical about transactions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:53 am 

Tangram wrote:
It feels like the incidence of scamming is increasing here on CAM. Long-time members, what are your thoughts? I haven’t purchased anything too esoteric here but I also find that it is ok to step away from a transaction that doesn’t feel right because you are being asked to do something against your better judgment. If you miss the streetcar, there’s always another one five minutes behind it...

It may be more members are coming forward, which is a good thing.
I read these posts with interest and one of the most common, positive pieces of advice is to inform the mods. This advice is usually suggested by the more experienced cammer's. Stands to reason, excellent advice.
Not to take a swipe at anyone, but chiming in with a 'I told you so' response doesn't help. It may actually do more harm.
For the forums to be alive, to stay alive, regardless of the topic, it's important people feel comfortable expressing themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:09 am 

I wouldn’t point the finger directly at CAM, online and digital theft is on the rise. eBay, kijiji, Craigslist…even Amazon all have their fair share of stories.

There are actions we can take to mitigate being scammed. Establish a verbal communication over the phone, or even better, through one of the many video apps available. Full name, tel numbers, addresses - talk about your wives, kids, where you work etc.

If the item is not too far, request a pickup – even if that is not your intention a scammer will most likely back out. And if the item is beyond the possibility of pickup, through a friendly communication mention you have a friend or family member in the area. Not 100% full proof but a scammer will most likely back out in fear of being exposed. There have been requests made here in the forums of members asking if someone from afar can check out piece. Involving another trusted member from CAM means there are strength in numbers.

Googling email address, phone number or someone’s name could bring up a lot of information about that person. An email traceroute can identify the area of which the email originated (look up how to on line). Everyone has a smartphone these days, request a video of the component in action along side a local news paper.

Request full PayPal protection and pay the damn fees. If sending EMT, do not send the passcode until shipping has been fully confirmed with a tracking number or even better, a picture of the shipping invoice. Establish time checks as to when the EMT will be sent and confirmed when received. Eg: I will send you money at 11am, if you do not confirm receiving the notification by 11:30am, I will cancel the EMT. If confirmed, please send proof of shipment by XXX time or the EMT will be canceled.

The above does not guarantee a 100% safe transaction, and to some it may seem way too complicated. But the extra efforts could very well give a scammer cold feet, which in the end, will save your a$$

scarbpaul12 – excellent comment. I don’t understand the need to rub someone face in the dirt. Not positive at all!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next