Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:05 pm 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:54 pm
Posts: 1398
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Bumpy wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
The notion that the customer is always right and must be taken care is old fashioned, were it not, companies that lived that motto like Sears would still be around.


Sears did not die because of that comment. Sears died because management implemented Ayn Rand's ideas of capitalist competition between departments.

Yes, let's turn this into a political debate! You win, socialism is clearly the solution for everything.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:24 pm
Posts: 882
Location: pincourt, QC, CA
I'd just like to make a few things clear. Yes, I spent about $3000 over the last year and a half or two. $1,650 on a Cord 2Qute and $1,600 on a demo Sony HAP Z1ES. Over the years at least another $6000.or so. I also sold some equipment through them. While I admit it wasn't very polite of me to disturb the manager eating lunch it appeared he was having a sandwich in his office while on his computer but, if he had asked me to call him later I would have cut our conversation short. The store was devoid of any customers (at least while I was there). My point is this. I believe I've been a pretty good customer over the years. I don't think I've given any of the staff reason to consider me a pain to deal with, while I think I'm a smart shopper I've never tried to low ball or demand discounts unless they offered them. After I spoke to the owner of another Audio store I came to the conclusion that maybe he was right "Those guys should be selling ice cream because they probably know as much about that as audio." Many of us are passionate about this hobby and many of us are opinionated as well, the problem for me is when a person becomes so opinionated that they develop an elietist attitude and are arrogant to boot. I believe I chose to ignore their attitude over the years because they were doing me a favour by allowing me into their establishment.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 7600
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
mac10 wrote:
I admit it wasn't very polite of me to disturb the manager eating lunch it appeared he was having a sandwich in his office while on his computer but,


He was probably searching up armboards for your table but didn't want to say because he couldn't find one.... :lol:

It was/is implicit where you spent your money.

there was a time when a retailer on their own would politely excuse themselves from a browsing customer to go eat a sandwich or perhaps close up for 15 minutes in order to not be disturbed.

Boy this is a tough crowd today. You'd think he busted in on the guy in the can taking a crap. :mrgreen:

This store owner likely bitches to others about how tough it is to sell audio in B&M and then he sends his customer to the internet....wow...

_________________
"I'm not Inspector Gadget!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:00 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 am
Posts: 1469
Location: London, ON, CA
Teo Audio wrote:
Winter_vinyl wrote:
I know it's late but I'm having trouble picking out your point with this thread, unless it's the idea of surprise that our passion could possibly attract a=holes in the sales department.



Yes, using the heart or emotions as a parasitical blind side access point is of the finest human tradition even on down to the most ancient times.

I'm of the opinion that the first conspiracy began when the same two proto-human apes sought the same given female. (or similar scenario)

That conspiracy, blindsiding, and emotional manipulation began as part of the precursor to consciousness and intelligence. Obvious enough on pondering... that it's difficult to argue otherwise.

Thus conspiracy and manipulation of or through the emotional considerations of others has been around before humans even had idea that they existed, ie 500,000 years or more.

The conclusion is to never dismiss signs or concerns of conspiracy. After all...it's literally - older than the hills. Not paranoia, too far of an opposite swing, but to be aware and use the understanding - as the tool that it is.


I'm sorry..... what?....

Good god I'm certain that you probably have something meaningful to say but I get exhausted attempting to hang upside down with one hand over one eye the other rubbing my stomach with my tongue in my left cheek trying to read that convuluted mess

Any chance you could read some literature that isn't a trade paper so you can learn how to write so that us mere mortals can understand you


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:43 am
Posts: 1791
Location: Québec, QC, CA
ADCO wrote:

I'm sorry..... what?....

Good god I'm certain that you probably have something meaningful to say but I get exhausted attempting to hang upside down with one hand over one eye the other rubbing my stomach with my tongue in my left cheek trying to read that convuluted mess

Any chance you could read some literature that isn't a trade paper so you can learn how to write so that us mere mortals can understand you


+1
(or to put it simply.....)


Attachments:
awMLW6b.gif
awMLW6b.gif [ 451.05 KiB | Viewed 225 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 17438
Location: Peterborough, ON, CA
Ken's basic premise is caveat emptor...wrapped in 2 parts Christian myth and 1 part Oprah...

_________________
“We're developing a new citizenry. One that will be very selective about cereals and automobiles, but won't be able to think.” Rod Serling


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:20 am
Posts: 4268
Location: London, ON, CA
Che Cavolo wrote:
Boy this is a tough crowd today. You'd think he busted in on the guy in the can taking a crap. :mrgreen:


You know the old saying ... "If you have time to take a crap, you have time to source a damn arm board." :wink:

_________________
1978 Rickenbacker 4001, 2010 Gibson Thunderbird, and Dean Fretless Basses;
1987 Guild Nightbird, 2000 Taylor 310KCE, and Godin 5th Avenue Guitars.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:00 am
Posts: 1403
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
ADCO wrote:
Good god I'm certain that you probably have something meaningful to say but I get exhausted attempting to hang upside down with one hand over one eye the other rubbing my stomach with my tongue in my left cheek trying to read that convuluted mess

Any chance you could read some literature that isn't a trade paper so you can learn how to write so that us mere mortals can understand you

....We can't forget the words of ABTN,spoken from the environs of Sir John A., when he said...and dealers take note!
"We are mainly made up of empty space, the movement of electrons around their nucleus is what gives something solidity whether it be pond slime a rock or us but the space the electrons & nucleus actually take up is minuscule, 97.99999999999999% of their physical space is the orbit of the electrons. Is this reality of our emptiness not a tongue in cheek smile at us in our time here within our freewill to choose to see the Creator's magnificence & awe at such power or walk around empty because we physically are?"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 205
Location: toronto, ON, CA
electrafixion wrote:
Bumpy wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
The notion that the customer is always right and must be taken care is old fashioned, were it not, companies that lived that motto like Sears would still be around.


Sears did not die because of that comment. Sears died because management implemented Ayn Rand's ideas of capitalist competition between departments.

Yes, let's turn this into a political debate! You win, socialism is clearly the solution for everything.


I don't have a political axe to grind. I'm just pointing out what is fact and what is fiction. The failing of SEARS because they followed the "the customer is always right" is fiction. The reasons for the failing of SEARS are well understood.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:04 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:54 pm
Posts: 1398
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Bumpy wrote:
I don't have a political axe to grind. I'm just pointing out what is fact and what is fiction. The failing of SEARS because they followed the "the customer is always right" is fiction. The reasons for the failing of SEARS are well understood.
Ayn Rand was a philosopher, she didn't write books on running department stores.

Note that I did not claim Sears died because of their "customer is always right" approach, I said it didn't save them. Canadians are quick to complain about bad service, but the minute they can save a nickel buying somewhere sketchy, they race to do so. Perhaps I'm the only one who sees the paradox between the typical buyer's expectations and behavior.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 7600
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
This is odd, because the last customer experience I had with Sears was rife with incompetence, dishonesty (on the part of several employees) and outright fraud. It was actually so disgusting that I cheered when I heard they were finally going belly up.

I feel like Mac10 was doing what many of us did before the www came along. Learn by touching and talking. How novel....

_________________
"I'm not Inspector Gadget!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 17438
Location: Peterborough, ON, CA
electrafixion wrote:
Bumpy wrote:
I don't have a political axe to grind. I'm just pointing out what is fact and what is fiction. The failing of SEARS because they followed the "the customer is always right" is fiction. The reasons for the failing of SEARS are well understood.
Ayn Rand was a philosopher, she didn't write books on running department stores.

Note that I did not claim Sears died because of their "customer is always right" approach, I said it didn't save them. Canadians are quick to complain about bad service, but the minute they can save a nickel buying somewhere sketchy, they race to do so. Perhaps I'm the only one who sees the paradox between the typical buyer's expectations and behavior.


...but...she did write books expressing her ideas and preferences regarding social and political order that were embraced (rightly and/or wrongly) by American Conservatives and Libertarians...her fear of "collectivism" worked perfectly as a fetishistic totem for all of the "f%k you I'll take mine" giants of early American Industry and their courtier apologists...so...yes...in some ways...she did write books about running department stores...and automobile empires...and the military industrial complex...

_________________
“We're developing a new citizenry. One that will be very selective about cereals and automobiles, but won't be able to think.” Rod Serling


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:15 pm
Posts: 205
Location: toronto, ON, CA
Right: "not saving" is different than failing.

The CEO had a thing for Ayn Rand's philosophy and implemented it. Nothing, except abandoning this horse*&^t could save it.

http://www.salon.com/2013/12/10/ayn_rand_loving_ceo_destroys_his_empire_partner/


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:54 pm
Posts: 1398
Location: Calgary, AB, CA
Stone wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
Bumpy wrote:
I don't have a political axe to grind. I'm just pointing out what is fact and what is fiction. The failing of SEARS because they followed the "the customer is always right" is fiction. The reasons for the failing of SEARS are well understood.
Ayn Rand was a philosopher, she didn't write books on running department stores.

Note that I did not claim Sears died because of their "customer is always right" approach, I said it didn't save them. Canadians are quick to complain about bad service, but the minute they can save a nickel buying somewhere sketchy, they race to do so. Perhaps I'm the only one who sees the paradox between the typical buyer's expectations and behavior.


...but...she did write books expressing her ideas and preferences regarding social and political order that were embraced (rightly and/or wrongly) by American Conservatives and Libertarians...her fear of "collectivism" worked perfectly as a fetishistic totem for all of the "f%k you I'll take mine" giants of early American Industry and their courtier apologists...so...yes...in some ways...she did write books about running department stores...and automobile empires...and the military industrial complex...

You are wrong on many levels in your analysis, but CAM isn't the place to debate that fact.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:45 pm
Posts: 17438
Location: Peterborough, ON, CA
...really?...I thought I only had a few "levels"... :D

_________________
“We're developing a new citizenry. One that will be very selective about cereals and automobiles, but won't be able to think.” Rod Serling


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ambient, selkirk and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group