Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next
 Post subject: America's gun problem..
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:32 pm 

America's inability to reconcile its absurd gun problem....it points to (among other things) the hollowness of their much professed faith based approach to everything...it reveals at its core...a deep dark existential fear...mostly...of anything "other"...freaky dangerous...to self and others...all others...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:47 pm 

Stone, I have made a point to really educate myself on this topic to see if I can make any sense of it all. Sadly the more I learn about the gun culture the more complex and confusing it is.
No doubt the faith based ideology plays a subversive but symbiotic roll with basic self entitlism .
Strangely you can't count out the money involved in gun culture either .... if you follow the dollars it goes all the way from the streets clear up to the business of running prisons. It's , in my opinion, a sign of a country , culture, yet another generation of Americans scripting literally the end of their own self proclaimed freedom.

What a mess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:57 pm 

America was formed with the gun and has been involved in some sort of armed conflict for the vast majority of their existence.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_w ... ted_States

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:06 pm 

Agreed, but that just serves to illustrate that their society just can't progress metaphorically and literally past what has always been a culture of guns...when I hear an American say " this is the greatest country ".... I ask why, children shooting shooting children, in your face racism, divisive politics that regardless of party elected can't get meaningful long lasting legislation past , a broken health care system , worst roads I have travelled in all the countries I have been too....and if I happen to get in a disagreement with someone ( which I have been known to do) I have to think about if the guy ( or girl comes to that ) has a gun.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:43 pm 

^ The only thing that the US of A is undeniably greatest at is believing that they are the greatest.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:55 pm 

Lack of Gov interest in resolving gun violence in America comes from a single technicality. Common sense fully auto firearm bans will not happen while it is only woman and children targeted. When they start targeting Wall street or America’s Corporate headquarters, only then they will start taking gun violence seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:20 am 

^^^Definitely the target makes a difference. I sensed a turning point in Vegas but I may be wrong.

Either way, it's going to get worse before it gets better. As Bruce Cockburn wrote in his song "The Trouble With Normal": It'll all go back to normal if we put our Nation first, but the trouble with normal is it always gets worse!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 am 

The time for controlling guns has long passed! There are over 350 million guns in the USA at this moment. Many of them unregistered, in the hands of criminals with not so nice intent as well as mentally unstable individuals. How does one propose to control 350 million guns?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:56 am 

Pneumonic wrote:
The time for controlling guns has long passed! There are over 350 million guns in the USA at this moment. Many of them unregistered, in the hands of criminals with not so nice intent as well as mentally unstable individuals. How does one propose to control 350 million guns?

...you start by restricting and controlling all new sales moving forward...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:01 am 

Pneumonic wrote:

Since you are not really Canadian. Easy to say when you don’t live there.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:08 am 

Stone wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:

I suppose that's a start but what about the existing 350M guns out there already? A criminal is going to get their hands on one or more of them if they desire.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:10 am 

A good read...

http://washingtonpress.com/2018/02/17/s ... icans-nra/

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:11 am 

audiocat wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:

Since you are not really Canadian. Easy to say when you don’t live there.

It's easy to say for anyone with common sense.

Controlling 350M+ guns is beyond doable and, banning them, is out of the question.

-- February 18th, 2018, 10:12 am --

Stone wrote:

I read the first sentence "Guns are the problem" and stopped.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:15 am 

...so again...you come in bad faith...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:17 am 

Pneumonic wrote:
Stone wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:

I suppose that's a start but what about the existing 350M guns out there already? A criminal is going to get their hands on one or more of them if they desire.

The amount of guns in general population does present a severe problem. But so does their lax laws. The mass shootings of past that has been covered by the media involve weapons purchased legally. In the wake of the Las Vedas incident, why hasn’t both assault rifles and bump stocks not been met with an outright ban? What is the purpose of a civilian having either or both?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 402 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 27  Next