Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:08 pm 
Premium User

zon001 wrote:
I think homemade.if that s the port what is thjs hole with no port just under binding post, also why the black frame around the binding post?

Pic of actual production Hawk for reference (google is your friend here):

Attachments:
1245789-mint-totem-hawk-maple-finish-with-claws-and-original-boxes.jpg
1245789-mint-totem-hawk-maple-finish-with-claws-and-original-boxes.jpg [ 61.52 KiB | Viewed 771 times ]

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

Last edited by shawnwes on Sat May 19, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:08 pm 

zon001 wrote:
I think homemade.if that s the port what is thjs hole with no port just under binding post, also why the black frame around the binding post?

Both the Hawk and Forest have an empty cavity in the bottom of the speaker for mass loading, that is what the hole is for. The port is near the top. The black frame is a large terminal cup that is veneered in the center for aesthetics.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:20 pm 
Premium User

The veneer finish is what gets me. Spot on from the pics. My best guess & it's only worth 2 cents is somebody at the factory wanted to play around with an idea they had. That's why there's no markings.

Ariston RD11 Superieur, RB250 & Tecnoweight, DV20X2H, LCR MkIII, Dacmagic100, Exposure 2010S2, AS Statement SEs, AS Testaments, PSB GT1s

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:22 pm 

seba007 wrote:
Hi folks,

Need your help in identifying speakers I own.

The cabinet has the exact same specs as the Totem Hawks, everything looks exactly the same (cabinet shape, features, details and finish, binding posts, claws, etc) except it has 2 drivers.

Bottom drivers are HI-VI D5.8, Yellow drivers are HI-VI F5 and tweeters are Seas H607 26TA GB.

The workmanship is stunning and I understand Totem has used those drivers and tweeters on some of their models.

Could these be Totem prototypes, units made especialy for audio show ... anything else...

Thanks for your insight.

Attachment:
IMG_20180519_073117_678.jpg

It's

Attachment:
IMG_20180519_073148_871.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20180519_073220_910.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20180519_073248_324.jpg

It looks like a copy from China. First off the cabinet corners are beveled as opposed to being filleted the totem beak is too small for the size of the speakers, however, the drivers seemed to be similarly constructed as the Dynaudio.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:28 pm 

˄ Having owned Hawks, the cabinets are identical. Some Hi-Vi woofers do look very similar to Dynaudio. These are the woofer the OP stated are used.

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=56

-- Sat May 19, 2018 9:33 pm --

shawnwes wrote:
The veneer finish is what gets me. Spot on from the pics. My best guess & it's only worth 2 cents is somebody at the factory wanted to play around with an idea they had. That's why there's no markings.

Kinda agree or a prototype. Although possible I can’t see someone going through that much effort and money to modify a pair of Hawk’s. The tweeter is also different than the one used in the Hawk (although both are Seas)

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:58 pm 

zon001 wrote:

Bottom hole is for cabinet filling.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:14 pm 

ok , but then there should be a plug of some sort,if filed with sand .
it could also be like my camber studio pro. I bought some original partly assemble cabinet. they add a defect, and somehow ended up at a used audio store that sold them to me. I add everything including the grilles frame. but no badge and binding post.
also hawk have one scan speak woofer those have 2 different woofer, would be weird that totem would have experiment on a designed made for one woofer , but modifyed for 2 woofer,and 2 different woofer? wich most likely have differences acousticly. a 1 inche coil, matched with a 3 inche voice coils? also is the cabinet divide in 2 separated chamber. because again using 2 very different driver in same cabinet?

Last edited by zon001 on Sat May 19, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:23 pm 
Premium User

zon001 wrote:
ok , but then there should be a plug of some sort.

The Hawks don't come with any kind of plug for the mass loading port.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 6:33 pm 

James_W wrote:
zon001 wrote:
ok , but then there should be a plug of some sort.

The Hawks don't come with any kind of plug for the mass loading port.

do you fill that hole with sand or something like that?

-- 20 May 2018 03:46 --

I think they should just add a simple black plastic ring looking like the top port. ring would add a finishing touch to that mass loading hole, to make it look like the port at the top.
beautyfull cabinet finish but that bottom hole look unfinish,

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:24 am 

Good morning All,

Lots of great comments; much appreciated. There seem to be a consensus where these cabinets have the same caracteristics and features as the Hawks. If the cabinets are not from Totem shop, someone invested a great deal of time, efforts and money to get these done. They are absolutly stunning.

As for the claws, never heard of or seen copies around. They have both the filleted hole for spikes and the one for the bearing although they did not come with the bearings.

I guess I'll never know the true story but honestly I dont mind. I know I own a great pair of floorstanders whatever they are and come from.

Many thanks for chipping in amd keep it going, more comments and insights are more than welcome.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:24 am 

seba007 - they are certainly interesting. Would be nice to know the story behind them. If you ever find out, please share.

zon001 – agree that it wouldn’t take much to finish off that hole. Not sure Totem’s reasoning behind this but they do mention in the manual to NOT pour sand into the “Black plastic lined” hole. So perhaps by having the hole unfinished makes it easier for customers to distinguish the 2. I wonder how many have pour sand into the wrong hole! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:00 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
seba007 - they are certainly interesting. Would be nice to know the story behind them. If you ever find out, please share.

As I said and from what the previous owner told me, these were acquired from a Totem fan son whos father passed away.

There is not much more on the storyline, sorry. What I know is that the guy who bought them and from which I bought them from is highly knowledgeable and that he already owned Totem Hawks in the past; so comparison he was able to make. The hour session I had at his place convinced me quite a lot; sound reproduction was astonishing, I then decided to go for them.

Last edited by seba007 on Sun May 20, 2018 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:28 am 

There was a guy on CAM about 9 years ago thinking about building a pair of clones but he never updated the thread if they were ever built or what drivers were used, etc.:

viewtopic.php?t=14228

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:58 am 

Interesting indeed

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:30 am 

everybody seems hung up on the cabinets.
how would a totem prototype reach the public market? possible but imma gunna say unlikely. if anything were 2nds from the cabinet supplier that somehow snuck out.
maybe original components got taken out by some crazy dc spike and owner decided to Frankenstein em?
and yes, a competent cabinetmaker could make a very good copy. a great deal of time/effort/money? perhaps to some but its just a box to a woodworker.
and yes the claws are available online...even in black. heck a set was even on cam http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... tem-claws/
there were even plans online to make a sttaf clone using tonsil(??) components years ago.

op mentioned bottom driver cabinet is machined perfectly - when you yanked the driver why didn't you post pics of the internals? crossover, bracing...
again anyone with a 6" holesaw, fly cutter, router etc can make a hole in a piece of wood.
other than the cabinet aesthetics theres really nothing "totem" about em.

we're trying to make these some totem back room top secret prototype stolen by some sort of cold war spy to be sold to the highest bidder.

yes, it be nice to know the story but assuming original owner passed guess the story ends there. enjoy em for what they are...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next