Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/

stylus force gauge in GTA
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48769
Page 1 of 3

Author:  mantisory [ Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:31 pm ]
Post subject:  stylus force gauge in GTA

Another one of those cheap as borscht chinese stylus force gauges just stopped working for me. I'm pretty much done with these cheap things. Anyone know stores in the GTA that carry reliable vtf gauges that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Byrpn

Author:  dcrooks [ Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

I know the Parts Connexion folks are always advertising theirs, but I have no idea as to it's quality....

Author:  Che Cavolo [ Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

walmart?
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Insten-300 ... MWZAR85UI9

Or you could find an ortofon dealer, call and ask if they have a cart balance. Should cost less than $25.

https://www.ortofon.com/stylus-pressure ... cale-p-279

Author:  Tom_r [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

I use this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/Neoteck-Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge/dp/B01HRJ9NAY/

I have a Christian Becker 5g calibration weight and the scale is right on ... at 5g anyway! :D

Edits:

Trying to get the link to work. Grrrr

Author:  mantisory [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:52 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

Tom_r wrote:
I use this from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.ca/Neoteck-Digital-Turntable-Backlight-Cartridge/dp/B01HRJ9NAY/

I have a Christian Becker 5g calibration weight and the scale is right on ... at 5g anyway! :D

Edits:

Trying to get the link to work. Grrrr


That's exactly the cheapskate ones I've been using and I am tired of them failing on me (I've had three or four!)
B

Author:  Tom_r [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:02 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

I must have gotten lucky. No problems so far.

Author:  mantisory [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:10 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

The first one, I dropped. My bad, The second and third just stopped working...no reason. Not sure...I'll likely just buy another one anyway, unless I happen to get down to a dealer at some point soon...
b

Author:  Tom_r [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

Curious, can you return the gauge if you bought it from Amazon?

Author:  sthomas1049 [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:47 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

Silly question but I am going to assume you checked the battery?

I own the Pro-Ject branded gauge which is similar to the one linked from Amazon – although a lot more expensive (~$100). No problems so far

Rega just released their own if you are willing to dish out $250 US.

http://www.rega.co.uk/atlas.html

Outside of that, the Ortofon digital gauge goes for around $180

Author:  mantisory [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:56 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

sthomas1049 wrote:
Silly question but I am going to assume you checked the battery?

I own the Pro-Ject branded gauge which is similar to the one linked from Amazon – although a lot more expensive (~$100). No problems so far

Rega just released their own if you are willing to dish out $250 US.

http://www.rega.co.uk/atlas.html

Outside of that, the Ortofon digital gauge goes for around $180


Yeah, I replaced the batteries thinking that it might be the issue. The problem is that for anything over ~ 1g it says 'FULL'...there appears to be no factory reset or anything else...
b

Author:  poupon [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

I got mine from Fleabay for $6.99 shipped and it works well. I also have the Shure as a back up. Remove the mat and place the guage directly on the platter for a more accurate reading.

Author:  sthomas1049 [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

TFA demonstrated a DIY stylus gauge.

https://www.takefiveaudio.com/contents/ ... forcegauge

Author:  Che Cavolo [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:44 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

The Amazon, the Parts Connexion ($50) and many others all appear to be the same as mine but from D-Ex in China for $13. (I also use an Ortofon balance scale ($10 ish) as a second opinion). I also have one in a cd box that is unreliable.
The Chi one has three buttons across the top and can be recalibrate. It may be as simple as you changed the mode. Did you keep the instructions?
I'm thinking mine's been around for 7-8 years or more..

Author:  mantisory [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

yeah, it's in grams for sure...but I wonder if I need to recalibrate - I might try that, though I don't think mine came with the 5g weight...will have to find one!
b

Author:  corvigo2004 [ Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:29 am ]
Post subject:  Re: stylus force gauge in GTA

mantisory wrote:
Another one of those cheap as borscht chinese stylus force gauges just stopped working for me. I'm pretty much done with these cheap things. Anyone know stores in the GTA that carry reliable vtf gauges that don't cost an arm and a leg?
Byrpn


You may wish to look at the Ortofon DS-3 Gauge...made in Japan

https://www.ortofon.com/ds-3-digital-st ... 708-n-3444

Regards,
MKoM, Toronto

Page 1 of 3 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/