Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun May 27, 2018 1:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:41 pm 

Not much help here and only because I already own it, I use the same RCBS digital scale that I have for measuring powder charges when I load rifle cartridges and it works flawlessly. I've checked it against the two mechanical powder scales I own and it's dead on. And it's just the right height as the stylus is sitting at normal playing position when it's resting on the scale.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:52 pm 

Tom_r wrote:
Please let us know how you like the mechanical gauge: ease of use, build quality, accuracy, and how your knees like checking for level.

I didn't go the Shure route because from the pics the build quality looks like it should retail at Princess Auto for about $5.00. I'd like to be proven wrong if you go that route. The Ortofon looks like a much better quality item (albeit plastic) at a fair price. But for both it looks like you have to make assumptions for weights not marked on the scale.

Not really Tom. I'm not familiar with the Shure but the Ortofon has the markings, although not as minutely detailed, on the top of the balance> There's a trench down the middle the stylus rides in and you just rotate it til it drops, looking at the scale readings from above. For me, it always comes real close to the Chi jewelrey scale....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:42 am 

One of my cartridges has an ideal tracking force of 1.9g. That's not marked on the scale so one would have to guess where that is. We're dealing with a fulcrum so an accurate load point isn't as simple as dividing up the space into equidistant points.

It looks like one has to look horizontally across the scale to see when the effort side is level. Unless our TT is at a high elevation, we have to get on our knees to accurately see level.

There was a time when we didn't have options around ancient methods, but now we do. A fulcrum would be accurate for this if they made one with calibrated weights in lieu of a sliding scale for the load side.

A digital scale is so much simpler, easier, and more accurate. It takes about one second to check calibration and away you go. My 5g calibrated calibration weight cost more than the scale, but provides confirmation that what we're doing is accurate. There are already enough "visual" adjustments to set up a cartridge so its nice to eliminate the guess work out of one of them.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:38 am 

Tom_r wrote:
A digital scale is so much simpler, easier, and more accurate. It takes about one second to check calibration and away you go. My 5g calibrated calibration weight cost more than the scale, but provides confirmation that what we're doing is accurate. There are already enough "visual" adjustments to set up a cartridge so its nice to eliminate the guess work out of one of them.

Isn’t the US Nickle exactly 5 g? Not sure how accurate that is or how accurate one wishes to calibrate their scale but will assume the US Nickle is pretty damn close.

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-m ... ifications

Own both the Shure and a Pro-Ject branded digital scale. The digital scale is sooooo much easier to use and assuming it is calibrated properly, way more accurate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:46 am 

Yeah, the US nickel is 5g - the Canadian '67-'99 quarter is 5.05 so that's good enough for my purposes as well...as long as it gets to 1/10 of a gram, the rest of the tweaking is done by listening anyway.
B

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:04 am 

mantisory wrote:
Yeah, the US nickel is 5g - the Canadian '67-'99 quarter is 5.05 so that's good enough for my purposes as well...as long as it gets to 1/10 of a gram, the rest of the tweaking is done by listening anyway.
B

Fine adjustments should always be completed by listening, but it is valuable to have an accurate digital scale to verify your final VTF for future reference. This cannot be conducted with an scale such as the Shure. This is of course if one feels there is value in such details.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:35 am 

i have have a couple of cheap digital VTF gauges, the old cartridge man gauge, the ortofon ds-3 and the rega atlas. my favourite gauge was a friends winds 2-decimal place model, but the rega is close. can’t recommend the ds-3, for the money i don’t think there are any advantages above the cheaper models that warrant the price difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 am 

Hi,

tom_r wrote" 'It looks like one has to look horizontally across the scale to see when the effort side is level.'

Actually, the Shure gauge has a little mirror on it that reflects back to you an image of the level point so your knees are well protected.

sthomas 1049 wrote: 'This is, of course, if one feels there is value in such details.'

My preference is just to get 'in the right range (+ or - .1 grams)' and then adjust any further by ear.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:13 am 

Shure SFG-2, I had the 1 model for years VERY accurate on Amazon.ca $48
good enough for my dual with shure V15 V