Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:41 am
Posts: 438
Location: SE Quebec, QC, CA
I have a NAD DAC 2 simply to stream internet radio. The supplied USB cable is much too short The transmitter has a mini type B USB and and type A USB at the computer end. They describe the cable as a mini type B to a type A.
When looking at a replacement it is often described as type A to mini type B. Is there a difference? Obviously you can only connect it one way.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:07 pm
Posts: 1565
Location: 53˚27'46"N 2˚17'28"W
Put the round peg in the round hole and the square peg in the square hole and you're good. I think.

_________________
"What you talking 'bout, Willis?."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 7612
Location: Burlington, ON, CA
Smith wrote:
I have a NAD DAC 2 simply to stream internet radio. The supplied USB cable is much too short The transmitter has a mini type B USB and and type A USB at the computer end. They describe the cable as a mini type B to a type A.
When looking at a replacement it is often described as type A to mini type B. Is there a difference? Obviously you can only connect it one way.


As supplied, their description is wrong. You are best not to worry about this. The second description for your purpose is correct. IE from computer to other device....this is commonly a 'printer cable'...

_________________
"I'm not Inspector Gadget!"


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:23 pm
Posts: 1040
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
I have an OTC cable for phone to Fiio E12 that is directional. I have no idea how it is possible, but it does only work one way.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:54 am
Posts: 3452
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
kcross wrote:
I have an OTC cable for phone to Fiio E12 that is directional. I have no idea how it is possible, but it does only work one way.

OTG?

They have the ground + sense lines shorted on one end, and not connected on the other:

Image

ground + sense tells the phone to go into OTG mode

-- 30 Sep 2017 05:25 --

Smith wrote:
I have a NAD DAC 2 simply to stream internet radio. The supplied USB cable is much too short The transmitter has a mini type B USB and and type A USB at the computer end. They describe the cable as a mini type B to a type A.
When looking at a replacement it is often described as type A to mini type B. Is there a difference? Obviously you can only connect it one way.


Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 759
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

Jared posted pics of the various USB2 and 3 connectors. Don't you just love how this 'Universal connection standard' proliferated into a table full of different connectors? I have a whole bag full of 'USB convertors' around somewhere. Nice one.

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:30 pm
Posts: 271
Location: Regina, SK, CA
buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Jared posted pics of the various USB2 and 3 connectors. Don't you just love how this 'Universal connection standard' proliferated into a table full of different connectors? I have a whole bag full of 'USB convertors' around somewhere. Nice one.

Cheers,
David Neice


How I love vintage with RCA only........let me count the ways...

_________________
Vintage has a place.....mostly in my basement.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:47 pm
Posts: 117
Location: Leduc, AB, CA
USB cables are bi-directional cables; the devices at each end are "talking" to one another. As long as you have the correct ends you are good to go. As far as quality of signal and sound is concerned, I wanted to try to upgrade the USB between my Bryston BOT and BDP-2 and tried a Cardas cable. They have two grades of USB offerings, but the lesser of the two was the only one that was available with the correct endings. It cost me $172; the result was astounding. It was the single biggest improvement I had ever experienced with my system! Cardas doesn't make a USB cable that can be used to connect my hard drives to the BPD-2, so I decided to order a $140 Carbon cable from AudioQuest. There was absolutely no improvement over the cable that came with the hard drive!!! I'm about to order a USB 3 gender changer from Infinite Cables and try it with another Cardas USB cable. Anyone want to buy an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable, she asked, sarcastically.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:30 pm
Posts: 271
Location: Regina, SK, CA
TwentyKHzPlus wrote:
USB cables are bi-directional cables; the devices at each end are "talking" to one another. As long as you have the correct ends you are good to go. As far as quality of signal and sound is concerned, I wanted to try to upgrade the USB between my Bryston BOT and BDP-2 and tried a Cardas cable. They have two grades of USB offerings, but the lesser of the two was the only one that was available with the correct endings. It cost me $172; the result was astounding. It was the single biggest improvement I had ever experienced with my system! Cardas doesn't make a USB cable that can be used to connect my hard drives to the BPD-2, so I decided to order a $140 Carbon cable from AudioQuest. There was absolutely no improvement over the cable that came with the hard drive!!! I'm about to order a USB 3 gender changer from Infinite Cables and try it with another Cardas USB cable. Anyone want to buy an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable, she asked, sarcastically.


Me not being of the digital streaming sources etc, but still read the odd thread on the subject have to ask how the cable improves the 0's and 1's being transmitted and received, not frequencies associated with analog signals? Haven't the threads always contended its hard to modify the 0&1 into improved sound? :?: perhaps there is improvement in signal strength from crap to good cables, but once you past good, what happens to make the improvement you and others hear? if there is a simple clarification on this?

_________________
Vintage has a place.....mostly in my basement.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:55 pm
Posts: 1582
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Sasklite wrote:
TwentyKHzPlus wrote:
USB cables are bi-directional cables; the devices at each end are "talking" to one another. As long as you have the correct ends you are good to go. As far as quality of signal and sound is concerned, I wanted to try to upgrade the USB between my Bryston BOT and BDP-2 and tried a Cardas cable. They have two grades of USB offerings, but the lesser of the two was the only one that was available with the correct endings. It cost me $172; the result was astounding. It was the single biggest improvement I had ever experienced with my system! Cardas doesn't make a USB cable that can be used to connect my hard drives to the BPD-2, so I decided to order a $140 Carbon cable from AudioQuest. There was absolutely no improvement over the cable that came with the hard drive!!! I'm about to order a USB 3 gender changer from Infinite Cables and try it with another Cardas USB cable. Anyone want to buy an AudioQuest Carbon USB cable, she asked, sarcastically.


Me not being of the digital streaming sources etc, but still read the odd thread on the subject have to ask how the cable improves the 0's and 1's being transmitted and received, not frequencies associated with analog signals? Haven't the threads always contended its hard to modify the 0&1 into improved sound? :?: perhaps there is improvement in signal strength from crap to good cables, but once you past good, what happens to make the improvement you and others hear? if there is a simple clarification on this?


The transmission of a digital signal is actually analog, much like a square wave. Where 0 volts represents the binary 0 and +5 volts (as an example) represents binary 1. If the cable does not represent this signal correctly you can receive timing errors or suffer from bit flips (where 1 becomes a 0). For regular data transmission this is not so much of an issue for a checksum can be perform and any errors can be corrected by having the data resent. Digital audio however does not perform a checksum so signal integrity becomes more important. A cable cannot improve a signal it can only mitigate the damage it is causing to the signal.


Attachments:
tdm-fdm-20-638.jpg
tdm-fdm-20-638.jpg [ 27.33 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:30 pm
Posts: 271
Location: Regina, SK, CA
Hey, good answer, thanks.

_________________
Vintage has a place.....mostly in my basement.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: boywonder and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group