Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:48 pm 

I'm looking for an upgrade and was wondering if I should go for a demo model (great deals here on CAM!) or a higher end model which is a few years old. Any guidelines or recommendations? It seems that in general the value depreciates rather quick so it might be worth going after something which isn't the latest model?

Thanks !
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:53 pm 

Maybe a little older than you're thinking ... but I enjoy my restored 60 year old tube amps every day. Just replace all the electrolytic caps and carbon comp resistors and all is good for another 20 years. :D

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:00 pm 

have had my Arcam AV-8 processor since 2006
not one problem all these yrs plus it's on 24/7 :D .
My vac preamp is a 2011(6yrs old) and on 24/7 :D .

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:21 pm 

Most of my system is made up of used units that I could not afford at new price. I have been able over time to acquire pieces that I wanted at fair price. Well made equipment from reputable makers do not deteriorate and hold their value. CAM is a great place; just shop wisely.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:45 pm 

leo1 wrote:
Most of my system is made up of used units that I could not afford at new price. I have been able over time to acquire pieces that I wanted at fair price. Well made equipment from reputable makers do not deteriorate and hold their value. CAM is a great place; just shop wisely.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:01 pm 

I have a Realistic receiver from the late 70's that has never been serviced. Every single original bulb still works.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:01 pm 

My favourite tube amp is from 1953, my favourite speakers from 1971. 5 or 6 years old is as good as new IMHO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:01 pm 

flyheli wrote:
I'm looking for an upgrade and was wondering if I should go for a demo model (great deals here on CAM!) or a higher end model which is a few years old. Any guidelines or recommendations? It seems that in general the value depreciates rather quick so it might be worth going after something which isn't the latest model?

Thanks !
Martin

Not High end stuff, but I'm still using a Yamaha CR1020 receiver from mid 70's I guess, Dynaco A25 speakers from the same era, a few cassette players that are maybe 10 years younger and actually some Realistic Speaker hooked up to that old Yamaha that were bought for bedroom speakers, but actually work quite well and sound better than they should.
Ott.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:12 pm 
Premium User

Buying new or demo gear helps support the industry and hobby. Without people buying new there wouldn't be all this great used gear around. We should all do our part to contribute when we can.

If you go the used route and the speakers are not very old you should be safe. Do some reading online about any issues with the product you are interested in before buying.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:22 pm 

I have found that some of my best purchases have been dealer demos. Great pricing with at home trials so no risk on whether it works for me.
I long thought Harbeth's were I route I wanted to explore. Was offered a demo pair of 7's at lower than what I have seen listed; brought them home for a week and discovered that they weren't for me and it didn't cost me anything to discover that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:58 pm 

New is cool but I could never have put together the systems I have if buying new..Champagne taste,,beer budget.
I do have items I bought new but speakers especially I could of never done.
Have not had issues with anything except my Avantgardes..the subs need to be reconed/voice coils, they are ok to a point but there is some voice coil rub at a certain point of excursion. My tech says over time the glue/coating on the coils can break down. Have not experienced anything with any other speaks.

Last edited by vonclod on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 pm 

vonclod wrote:
New is cool but I could never have put together the systems I have if buying new..Champagne taste,,beer budget.

I think this strategy applies to most of us here. Generally, other than speakers with foam surrounds and the capacitors in large, heat generating power amps, equipment should be reliable and trouble free for 20 years or more. Buying reputable and proven manufacturers' equipment also helps. I tend to avoid small, artisan type companies because you never know where they will be in 5-10-20 years time and their products (generally) don't have the same longevity or support as the small-batch guys. That's just me though.

-- 27 Sep 2017 00:48 --

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 pm 

spinaker01 wrote:
vonclod wrote:

I think this strategy applies to most of us here. Generally, other than speakers with foam surrounds and the capacitors in large, heat generating power amps, equipment should be reliable and trouble free for 20 years or more. Buying reputable and proven manufacturers' equipment also helps. I tend to avoid small, artisan type companies because you never know where they will be in 5-10-20 years time and their products (generally) don't have the same longevity or support as the small-batch guys. That's just me though.

-- 27 Sep 2017 00:48 --

I added to my post regarding one set of speakers.
I agree with what you are saying, I have a good tech who can fix most anything but there are some pieces I have passed on due to proprietary unavailable parts..I research anything I'm interested in. I try to stick with rubber surrounds on speakers, although surrounds are a pretty simple deal.
CD players can be problematic..make sure the transport/laser/diode assembly can be found.
I do have a nice Yamaha B1, if one of the vfets go I'm in trouble..a rare piece though and not typical.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:46 am 

+2 - I really don't buy much gear new, it just depends on what I want and if I can get it used or demo.

I also generally try to use my trade in value when buying gear. I've been able to trade up if you would on many occasions and am a repeat customer at those dealers that are fair when it comes to trades, whether on new or used gear.

Out of both my current systems, my P5, AVM60 and Rega RP6 were new or demo, other than that I'm generally buying used / demo gear. I'm very patient when it comes to waiting for what I want to become available.

I don't see this approach as hurting the new gear sales, in fact without a good secondary market, all those people who buy new every year wouldn't have anywhere to recoup any of their prior spend to be able to afford new gear every year. Pretty sure I'm doing a service to the economy! ;)

As with any purchase, know what you want, do your research and be patient.