Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:01 pm 

Problem with LaScalas is, if you like the music you say you do - LaScalas are sub par in the bottom end.
The term full bodied means, to me, you need better performance than 50hz in the bottom end.

Cornwalls fit into the term full bodied better with usuable bass down to 30-35hz.

Some JBLs would do very well, but they tend to be over priced for larger footprint speakers.

A pair of Altecs, perhaps Valencias (still a bit weak on bottom end, but much better than LeScalas) may work well to. In the proper room they tend to play more like 40-45 hz speakers...

Owning many we have already posted, in my opinion, the Cornwall do most everthing right.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:08 pm 

JGP wrote:
Problem with LaScalas is, if you like the music you say you do - LaScalas are sub par in the bottom end.
The term full bodied means, to me, you need better performance than 50hz in the bottom end.

Cornwalls fit into the term full bodied better with usuable bass down to 30-35hz.

Some JBLs would do very well, but they tend to be over priced for larger footprint speakers.

A pair of Altecs, perhaps Valencias (still a bit weak on bottom end, but much better than LeScalas) may work well to. In the proper room they tend to play more like 40-45 hz speakers...

Owning many we have already posted, in my opinion, the Cornwall do most everthing right.

Completely agree the Cornwalls would be a great choice and if you can find a pair for a grand or less I'll take them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:29 pm 

Cornwalls should cost $800 to $1000. The MK1 version will sound the best and has the best quality parts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:58 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
Nor can I think of a quality floor-stander that would only cost a grand, new or used.

But you can DIY one.

dave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:34 pm 

Mirage M3 or Apogee Duetta.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:26 pm 

JGP wrote:

I have read others praise the Cornwalls too. It’s all about the timing- what becomes available when available. $1,000.00 ok saving as we speak. We shall see.

-- 29 Sep 2017 22:27 --

planet10 wrote:
dr.joe wrote:
Nor can I think of a quality floor-stander that would only cost a grand, new or used.

But you can DIY one.

dave

They are a diy speaker? Or do-able? Interesting, i did jot know.

-- 29 Sep 2017 22:28 --

albinosquirlz wrote:
Mirage M3 or Apogee Duetta.

Two more to watch for thanks.

McIntosh MX113/McCormack Power Drive DNA1 (the actual amp tested in reviews), Deluxe & Sansui SE-9 Equalizer driving a simple set of Boston Accoustice 210’s. Sansui 7070 & H/K 930 occassionally put to work. DIY speaker, interconnect cables.