Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 pm 

So I chose to sell my best speakers yet, a very nice pair of Magnepan 1.6's. I have a McIntosh MX-113 preamp, and a original McCormack Power Drive DNA-1 (120 watts/side?). Having watched the flow of used and vintage speakers, I am willing to dedicate a fair amount of floor space for a vintage set of big body speakers for that sound.. :) I like a wider range of music, jazz, gospel, country, rock, mostly analog input. What do you think? JBL, Bozak, or other? What do I call this new obsession with size of speaker, and seeking the sound "freedom" of large cases?

Bill.

McIntosh MX113/McCormack Power Drive DNA1 (the actual amp tested in reviews), Deluxe & Sansui SE-9 Equalizer driving a simple set of Boston Accoustice 210’s. Sansui 7070 & H/K 930 occassionally put to work. DIY speaker, interconnect cables.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:51 am 

Bigger isn't always better, especially when you get into larger number of drivers and more complex crossovers.

Are you specifically looking for "vintage" ie 70s or earlier? You want lots of bass or do you have or plan to add a sub?

There's lots of floor standers on CAM - do a search for 500-1100 and you'll find lots of interesting things.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:30 am 

You can't go wrong with JBL 43** or 44** series

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:49 am 

LAT2 wrote:

I absolutely agree. But you have not told us what is not fulfilling with the maggies....are you just looking for more bass? I have a set of 4311's. Love em. BUT....they are very different sounding from your magnepans. Personally, I like that "round sound" that I have with the 4311's, but I could use a little more open, revealing sound....that maggies provide.

The search for "the perfect sound" continues for most of us..... :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:38 am 

Mac and vintage Klipsch are well known for synergy. Cornwall would be nice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:18 am 
Premium User

Anything 15" concentric "two way" from Altec or Tannoy. The older the better generally. Every single 3way 43xx or 44xx I've heard compared ends up being a box making noise with noted crossover effect and often too bright. Exception being the modern smoother LSR32 but still sounds cabed and is more boring but is supposed to because it is a "monitor" so neutral is the norm. Again this when comparing on speaker switch board. Tans and Alts cabs disappear.

I add that in vintage land the need to change caps is paramount with JBL especially.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:15 am 

Find a pair of Boston A400's. They're super fun to try because they're cheap and you can easily re-sell them if you don't love them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 am 

Any thoughts on going to a larger Maggie? If you liked the 1.6's so much?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:16 am 

LAT2 wrote:

+1

Currently own
JBL L100
4343...way out of the $1000 range

consider also
Pioneer HPM 100
Yamaha NS 1000
Yamaha NS690 version 1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 pm 

kb007 wrote:
Bigger isn't always better, especially when you get into larger number of drivers and more complex crossovers.

Are you specifically looking for "vintage" ie 70s or earlier? You want lots of bass or do you have or plan to add a sub?

There's lots of floor standers on CAM - do a search for 500-1100 and you'll find lots of interesting things.

I must change my signature, i have a pair of Boston Accoustics 210’s left for speakers. I do have a decent sub, although maybe not needed for some speakers. Vintage 70’s 80’s is very good. The great thing is reputations help us skim away the lesser valuable components.

-- 27 Sep 2017 14:04 --

brownslane wrote:
LAT2 wrote:

I absolutely agree. But you have not told us what is not fulfilling with the maggies....are you just looking for more bass? I have a set of 4311's. Love em. BUT....they are very different sounding from your magnepans. Personally, I like that "round sound" that I have with the 4311's, but I could use a little more open, revealing sound....that maggies provide.

The search for "the perfect sound" continues for most of us..... :)

I frankly loved the maggies. It was too much money sitting there while i wanted to retire and buy a garden tractor to teach my grandkids to drive. So sold the maggies, bought a 45 year old John Deere 112, and enjoy my simple BA210’s right now. It will be fun finding the vintage JBL or Cornwall or whatever. I remember reading about Bozaks while still a kid. Love the bigger air idea.

-- 27 Sep 2017 14:10 --

byefi wrote:
Anything 15" concentric "two way" from Altec or Tannoy. The older the better generally. Every single 3way 43xx or 44xx I've heard compared ends up being a box making noise with noted crossover effect and often too bright. Exception being the modern smoother LSR32 but still sounds cabed and is more boring but is supposed to because it is a "monitor" so neutral is the norm. Again this when comparing on speaker switch board. Tans and Alts cabs disappear.

I add that in vintage land the need to change caps is paramount with JBL especially.

Good points here. Altec and Tannoy- no experience with the Tannoys, not many around here in Alberta. Changing caps yes. Not a problem. I continue to watch for BA’s the 400’s are said to be good for the money. :)

McIntosh MX113/McCormack Power Drive DNA1 (the actual amp tested in reviews), Deluxe & Sansui SE-9 Equalizer driving a simple set of Boston Accoustice 210’s. Sansui 7070 & H/K 930 occassionally put to work. DIY speaker, interconnect cables.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:47 pm 

If you loved the Maggies and have a decent sub, you may want to consider a set of MMG's.

I had both MMG and 1.6 at the same time for a while, and either could have been excellent with a sub.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:58 pm 

Most of the speakers recommended are not obtainable for a grand. Nor can I think of a quality floor-stander that would only cost a grand, new or used.

I'm all for large cabinets housing large drivers—but if that's the direction you want to go, I'd say keep saving your money for now.

When you hit two grand, you can start following up on some of those recommendations, though many of them would be more expensive than that.

My recommendation would be, as in many other posts, a pair of Tannoy System 15 DMT II.

Even though they're not, strictly speaking, floor standers, they are about 33" tall and weigh just under 100 lbs. each. For optimum performance, you'd also want to invest, eventually, in some solid, sound-dead stands of 12-16 inches in height.

System 15s used to come up now and again for as little as $1500 (retail in the 1990s was circa $6500/pr), but prices seem to be appreciating steadily. Worth considering by anybody with up to $10K to invest in a pair of speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:05 pm 

Sometimes a set of La Scala's in beat up cabs will come up for about $1K.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:31 pm 
Premium User

Canadiansnowland wrote:
Sometimes a set of La Scala's in beat up cabs will come up for about $1K.

Pretty common around this part of BC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:38 pm 

dr.joe wrote:
Most of the speakers recommended are not obtainable for a grand. Nor can I think of a quality floor-stander that would only cost a grand, new or used.

I'm all for large cabinets housing large drivers—but if that's the direction you want to go, I'd say keep saving your money for now.

When you hit two grand, you can start following up on some of those recommendations, though many of them would be more expensive than that.

My recommendation would be, as in many other posts, a pair of Tannoy System 15 DMT II.

Even though they're not, strictly speaking, floor standers, they are about 33" tall and weigh just under 100 lbs. each. For optimum performance, you'd also want to invest, eventually, in some solid, sound-dead stands of 12-16 inches in height.

System 15s used to come up now and again for as little as $1500 (retail in the 1990s was circa $6500/pr), but prices seem to be appreciating steadily. Worth considering by anybody with up to $10K to invest in a pair of speakers.

I have to agree with you on the prices, it would be best to wait for more moola and LaSala’s. Or, maybe a good set of mmg’s... the tractor is fun.

Attachments:
1C906596-4391-4D9F-8D73-73A4193BF93F.jpeg
1C906596-4391-4D9F-8D73-73A4193BF93F.jpeg [ 368.69 KiB | Viewed 498 times ]