Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:36 am 

Thanks which .7 is ?

Magnepan .7

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 am 

I had a pair of Bryston 7B-ST running through a Rogue Audio 99 preamp and Maggie 1.7's. Although they sounded excellent, they would still clip at times when played loud. They would almost always clip when playing Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield during the parts when the bass was the loudest. Just to qualify, I would play the record at just over half volume and the clipping was only for a very short period of time during the bass. I think, as others have stated, go with the 14's if you can and you will not be disappointed. I am now using Rogue Audio 180's with 120 tubes through the same preamp that I updated to a super 99 with balanced outputs. Mike has never sounded so good to me and there is not distortion at the same volumes and the 7B's.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:57 am 

ErlKing wrote:
I had a pair of Bryston 7B-ST running through a Rogue Audio 99 preamp and Maggie 1.7's. Although they sounded excellent, they would still clip at times when played loud. They would almost always clip when playing Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield during the parts when the bass was the loudest. Just to qualify, I would play the record at just over half volume and the clipping was only for a very short period of time during the bass. I think, as others have stated, go with the 14's if you can and you will not be disappointed. I am now using Rogue Audio 180's with 120 tubes through the same preamp that I updated to a super 99 with balanced outputs. Mike has never sounded so good to me and there is not distortion at the same volumes and the 7B's.

What is the difference of 7B vs 14B ? I thought they have the same power as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:04 am 

I actually prefer the Bryston 4b Cubed to the 7B Cubed. And it's also world's better than an SST2. Just my experience. I own the 4B Cubed, so you know, confirmation bias and all.

It's a very fast, open sounding amp that is refined and extremely powerful. You'll need a great preamp to get the most out of it, though.

I've used the 4B Cubed on Electrostats, not Magnepans. But I wish I still had MG12s kicking around to see what kind of insanity they would be together.

Edit:

The 7B Cubed, with Magnepans is likely a slightly better choice, from what I've found with Magnepans. My impressions of it vs the 4B Cubed is just that unless you need the reserves and damping, they sound very similar. However, my preference is based on the speakers and preamps I've tried with both. They 7 uses a bridged design that favours balanced inputs slightly. The 4 is a single ended design, that won't matter. I found with a tubed single ended only preamp, both sounded remarkably similar. However, Magnepans will absorb all kinds of power from both. I still would expect both to run almost entirely in class A, even with Maggies. So, what ever your budget and preamp dictate. You'll love either.

Last edited by Adriankn on Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:09 am 

AUDIOMANIAC wrote:
ErlKing wrote:

What is the difference of 7B vs 14B ? I thought they have the same power as well.

And this is why, with my limited knowledge, that I read much more than I post. After reviewing the technical data, the 7B and 14B seem to be identical. Perhaps someone with more knowledge can clarify the difference.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:12 am 

Adriankn wrote:
I actually prefer the Bryston 4b Cubed to the 7B Cubed. And it's also world's better than an SST2. Just my experience. I own the 4B Cubed, so you know, confirmation bias and all.

It's a very fast, open sounding amp that is refined and extremely powerful. Y.

+1 The 4B3 Cubed is the excellent amp which I'm using with my Maggies. It's just that " what if...." mind me thinking to change something better.

I heard the 28B3 Cubed and they sound too warm for my liking. How was the 7B3? Was it different sonic signature than 4B3?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:11 am 

AUDIOMANIAC wrote:
Adriankn wrote:

+1 The 4B3 Cubed is the excellent amp which I'm using with my Maggies. It's just that " what if...." mind me thinking to change something better.

I heard the 28B3 Cubed and they sound too warm for my liking. How was the 7B3? Was it different sonic signature than 4B3?

The 7B was a little leaner on dynamic speakers than the 4. It was also tighter and faster. But very slightly. I think if you heard them at different times in the same system you won't know there was a difference. They are far more similar than different. I was pretty surprised at how much so, because the 4BSST2 and 7 BSST2 are quite different.

Both are much faster, open and at ease than previous Bryston amps. I respected Bryston amps before, but personally love them now. I won't accuse either of being warm unless the preamp is. I use a slightly warm, but quite open and detailed tube pre. It's really quite good together on all speakers I've tried so far.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:15 pm 

Wendel Dillar of Magnepan, who demos their speakers at the shows etc., takes Bryston amps everywhere on his travels. He recommends high current amplifiers. The requirements are not model specific, but the 3.7i's would require a 4B, or higher if your listening room is large. I have 1.7i's and have auditioned a 2.5B squared with them. The sound was great, but I still preferred my Sonic Frontiers Power 1, which is 55 watts per channel at 8 ohms; I'm not sure how much more they deliver to the 4 ohm load of the Maggies. My listening room is 8' x 13' x 21' and the sound stage consistently goes wall to wall, and sometimes beyond, and very often beyond the back wall. I'm set up according to the recommendations on the Cardas webpage under System/Room Setup.

Be very sure to audition your amp choices at home because you will probably love both "sounds", but your personal preferences will really come into play strongly at the end. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:21 pm 

Magnepan 3.6's driven by a Classe DR-3 VHC. Fantastic.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:07 pm 

Adriankn wrote:
AUDIOMANIAC wrote:
Adriankn wrote:

The 7B was a little leaner on dynamic speakers than the 4. It was also tighter and faster. But very slightly. I think if you heard them at different times in the same system you won't know there was a difference. They are far more similar than different. I was pretty surprised at how much so, because the 4BSST2 and 7 BSST2 are quite different.

Both are much faster, open and at ease than previous Bryston amps. I respected Bryston amps before, but personally love them now. I won't accuse either of being warm unless the preamp is. I use a slightly warm, but quite open and detailed tube pre. It's really quite good together on all speakers I've tried so far.

Thanks so much. That helps :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:19 pm 

I used a Pass X250 with 3.7.
It worked well but will struggle if you want to play loud in a large room.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:34 pm 

Robert wrote:
I used a Pass X250 with 3.7.
It worked well but will struggle if you want to play loud in a large room.

Interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:09 pm 

Bryston 4B cubed : So far I don't find any struggle even loud volume however it does get hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:47 pm 

The Pass amps have a meter that shows how hard the amp is working

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:49 pm 

Robert wrote:
The Pass amps have a meter that shows how hard the amp is working

Double post

Last edited by AUDIOMANIAC on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.