Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 pm 

Hi Guys,
I am thinking to upgrade my speakers. At this time I am trying to find out how much dough I would need to get a pair that is considerably better than My current Energy pro 22 along with some recommendations. The Energys work perfectly and I am quite happy with them but trying to find out what it will take to get a better pair.

Signal chain is PC -> Behringer UC202 Digital out to Onkyo pr-sc 5508 (Pre/Pro with Audyssey xt32 ) to NAD C370 (Poweramp in) and two Polk Audio 10" subs. The room is unfinished basement with partial treatments, size is about 18X50. I sit close to speakers around 8 feets and speakers are setup 8 feets apart.

This is a 2.2 setup for listening music only. I mostly listen to Vocal jazz, Fusion, some Classic Rock, Blues and some Pop.

on the side note do you think either PMC TB1 or Proac Mini Monitors will be an upgrade to Energys?

I would greatly appreciate your support!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 pm 

Not only are they upgrades either one would be a good direction to go if you like the sound character of the energy's. Test them.

Then I would look for a good one box 2ch DAC/PRE to operate the NAD. Some of them have multiple in/outs up to 5, and balanced outs with enough gain to go into a pro amp or xcrossover for subs. Or just a balanced power amp. If you want to squeeze the potential out of either speaker, I'd consider a switch. Even with the Energy's I bet your leaving sound behind with that setup.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:49 pm 
Premium User

I can't stress enough that you get out and listen before buying it possible. Certain designs/materials look great but might not have a sound you are looking for.

If you want to stick with entry level/lower priced used speakers add Totem Rainmakers and ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 to the list. Just keep in mind they are small speakers.

How far can you stretch the budget? Used speakers around $1000-$1500 should give you an upgrade. There are options from Neat Elite to Reference 3A Veena. PSB Goldi's are a good choice with your power amp.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:11 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys. I can stretch the budget to $1000 used. One thing I forgot to mention that I dont listen at high volume mostly 70-75 db. Yes I would demo the speakers for sure and will not buy without listening to them. Since there are literally thousands of speakers out there, the idea is to short list some good ones and then hunt them in the used market.

Any other EX energy owner would like to share what they upgraded to and how was their experience?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:22 pm 

I would look at KEF from the 60s, 70s, and 80s to give you something different, not necessarily an upgrade or better speakers since your Energy pro 22 are excellent speakers to start with.
Good speakers usually do well in all genres of music, although I find KEF to be especially good at Jazz, and Classic rock.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:45 pm 

Have you had the tweeters in your 22's refreshed?

I use a pair in the bedroom, with tweeters redone at Vancouver Speaker Audio Clinic, and I love them so very much.

I very much agree that you need to put any new speakers side by side with the 22's. Good chance you might stay with what you have.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:31 pm 

There is a pair of Altec Bolero's near you for $819: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649376000-altec-bolero/

Two 10" woofers and a horn tweeter.

Specs:
Freq. Response: 40 - 20,000Hz
Power Rating: 50W
Impedance: 8Ω
Sensitivity: 94dB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:56 pm 

moinau wrote:
I would look at KEF from the 60s, 70s, and 80s to give you something different, not necessarily an upgrade or better speakers since your Energy pro 22 are excellent speakers to start with.
Good speakers usually do well in all genres of music, although I find KEF to be especially good at Jazz, and Classic rock.

Not familiar with KEF models, are you referring to 104 type of speakers? I used to have wharfedale Evo, KEF sounds similar to Wharfes?

-- 21 Jan 2018 01:00 --

kcross wrote:
Have you had the tweeters in your 22's refreshed?

I use a pair in the bedroom, with tweeters redone at Vancouver Speaker Audio Clinic, and I love them so very much.

I very much agree that you need to put any new speakers side by side with the 22's. Good chance you might stay with what you have.

No I never refreshed the tweeters they are in original condition and working quite fine. What I heard that either they work or just get blown producing no sound. I know these speakers are excellent and this is the reason I asked how much minimum I am looking budget wise to surpass their performance and If its too much then I will just keep mine.

-- 21 Jan 2018 01:01 --

NordicNorm wrote:
There is a pair of Altec Bolero's near you for $819: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649376000-altec-bolero/

Two 10" woofers and a horn tweeter.

Specs:
Freq. Response: 40 - 20,000Hz
Power Rating: 50W
Impedance: 8Ω
Sensitivity: 94dB

Thanks NordicNorm I will look into them. The price look quite steep for a pair in this condition and age.

-- 21 Jan 2018 01:03 --

Any one has experience with JBL studio 570/580/590? I heard lot of good things about these and can get a new pair for a very good price.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:38 pm 

Any other suggestions guys?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:02 pm 

the 2 possible speakers you mentioned are standmounts.

reason? current preference?

on a side note, having briefly owned the ref 22 connoisseur's to compare them to a previously owned pair of proac tablette 50 sigs without hesitation proac.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:21 pm 

JazzKhan wrote:
moinau wrote:

Not familiar with KEF models, are you referring to 104 type of speakers? I used to have wharfedale Evo, KEF sounds similar to Wharfes?

No, they don't sound the same at all, not saying the Wharfes are bad, but KEF and Wharfes are different.

Like I mentioned earlier, your pro 22 are excellent speakers in their own right.
With KEF (or other brands for that matter) you will have something different, and hopefully you will find something that you like.

I've Energy speakers, the ESM 2 and 4, not the same quality as your pro 22, but very good nevertheless.
I also have a few AR, JBL, Planar 1.6, and KEF, the Calinda model.

Taking note on your music preference, and the excellent Energy you already have, you might like some KEF models from the 70s , and 80s.
Calinda, 104, and 104B, 102, 103.2, 103.3, 104/2, and a few other.

http://fr.kef.com/explore-kef/kef-museum

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:22 pm 

JazzKhan wrote:

Considering that you already enjoy your 22's, why not look at moving up the ladder to the 22 Ref Conns. I have been a 22 owner for the better part of a decade, and when I moved up the difference was astonishing but yet so familiar. You still get that sweet flat sound they are known for, but the low end gets bumped up to just round out the spectrum that much more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:26 pm 

timarcc wrote:
JazzKhan wrote:

Considering that you already enjoy your 22's, why not look at moving up the ladder to the 22 Ref Conns. I have been a 22 owner for the better part of a decade, and when I moved up the difference was astonishing but yet so familiar. You still get that sweet flat sound they are known for, but the low end gets bumped up to just round out the spectrum that much more.

Excellent option/suggestion...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:00 am 

:D My Energy 22's were replaced by Snell J's which were replaced by Newform Research rh-30's, Each speaker was "more" to my ears in my setup. But speakers are Very personable" so take that with a grain of salt. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 am 

Garsh, I had mine for 20 years and loved them though will admit the tweeters were in need of a refresh at the end! I replaced them with a set of B&W 602 S3 standmounts in 2003 (3 years). Then went to Monitor Audio Studio 20 SE floor standers (8 years). Then to Monitor Audio Gold GX 100's standmounts (4years). I just got a set of Reference 3A Veena BE floorstanders (from Tash) that I could not be happier with.