Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:11 am 

Magnepan 1.6. Great imaging, easily comparable to the quad 63. Missing the incredible spectral mids of the 57s but still sounding fantastic.

Attachments:
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG [ 331.32 KiB | Viewed 365 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:57 am 

I have 1.7s (with extremely inadequate backend equipment) and pull them out just like that into a very similar space to make them sound like anything.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:33 pm 

A lot of people tend to recommend what they own and are familiar with.Having said this I think my Dynaudio C1's would kill it on choral music.I personally only own one choral album on ECM but I did do a google of Bach Choral.If the music you are listening to is small quartets,chamber music, acoustic, and especially vocals, this is where the C1's shine..If it involves large orchestra's not so much...If they are feed lots of Watts they can produce surprising bass....I see I'm kind of late to this thread but if the panel sound doesn't work out just another thought...

While not a panel aficionado I have heard the Magnepan 1.6 sound fantastic with an ARC pre amp,Modwright amp, and
Dan Santoni custom Xover with 2 Vandy subs...Congratulations on your purchase...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:02 pm 

Itsnotluck wrote:
If they are feed lots of Watts they can produce surprising bass....

Agreed 100%...hehehe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:13 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

You've already owned the best. I'll wager $1000 that it's setup and associated gear standing between you and the sound you want, not the speaker. You just need a real expert to consult with what you have. The rest of these suggestions are stabbing in the dark based on varying personal biases.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:32 am 

malthuse wrote:
The speakers should be suited first and foremost for Bach choral music.

The listen to a pair of Martin Logan Spires, CLX or Summit.

ML require a lot of space around them, but if you have the room, Bach choral music would sound magical.

The more watts you can throw at them, the better.

EDIT: just noticed you bought a pair Maggies. Good choice for your musical preference, although they won't have the same level of bass as ML's.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:56 am 

Thanks guys. These Maggie's are blowing my mind right now. I'm driving them with 500 watts of quality power. They are a little shrill so I'll try taming that with a resistor on the tweeter. Where they are absolutely outstanding is in the soundstage. As an example I have a recording of a song I know really well that was always flat on any speaker I've tried. On the Maggie's it comes alive. The chorus is full and rich and the soloist completely distinct from the chorus. They create a wide open look into the sound. Truly eye opening. I can't believe it took me this long to discover magnepans.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:13 am 

malthuse wrote:
Thanks guys. These Maggie's are blowing my mind right now. I'm driving them with 500 watts of quality power. They are a little shrill so I'll try taming that with a resistor on the tweeter. Where they are absolutely outstanding is in the soundstage. As an example I have a recording of a song I know really well that was always flat on any speaker I've tried. On the Maggie's it comes alive. The chorus is full and rich and the soloist completely distinct from the chorus. They create a wide open look into the sound. Truly eye opening. I can't believe it took me this long to discover magnepans.

I don't know what you are using for a resistor, but if you get the voicing where you want it (resistor value) you might want to try a Deulund carbon resistor for padding the tweeter ribbon. I don't know about others, but I can hear difference between resistors when used in series on tweeters, my 1.6 set included. And if you really get obsessed there are miles to go with outboard/updgraded crossovers and stands. Sounds like you've got the amplification right!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:22 am 

If they're like my 1.7s they come packaged with a resistor that you use to replace a jumper on the back of the panel.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:04 am 

LaSalle wrote:
If they're like my 1.7s they come packaged with a resistor that you use to replace a jumper on the back of the panel.

Yup, mine came with them as well - $1 grey sand cast units. No criticism of Magnepan (I own 1.6qr and MG12), but they are building a product to a price point. When you get inside to look at the crossovers on the smaller ones (haven't looked at anything bigger than 1.6qr) you see that there is maybe $30 of parts in there. Well implemented, but you can improve on them if you get the itch. With good equipment driving them most people probably don't feel the need, but on the other hand do you really want your $10k of equipment funnelled through a $30 passive crossover?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:14 am 

mission66 wrote:
$1 grey sand cast units.

Those are the ones.

In my case it's $250 worth of (very) used equipment funneling through those crossovers ... yes, I need lots of upgrades.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:43 am 

LaSalle wrote:
mission66 wrote:
$1 grey sand cast units.

Those are the ones.

In my case it's $250 worth of (very) used equipment funneling through those crossovers ... yes, I need lots of upgrades.

Hey, it has been a very incremental journey for me over the years, all used equipment until only recently. I am personally glad I did not have a bag of money to start with, because a lot of the fun has been in the journey, experimenting and learning, trying to decide where to spend the next $400. Enjoy those Magnepans - that planar presentation of sound is something else!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:03 pm 

just do not play anything with real dynamics on them......sorry.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:39 pm 

libor wrote:
just do not play anything with real dynamics on them......sorry.....

I am not going to take that the wrong way - I recognize there are many different sounds and presentations to be had with different styles of speakers - horns, electrostatics, dual concentric, T-line - it goes on and on. I have gone the distance with magnetic planar will report back after I emerge from my next rabbit hole which will likely be conventional box speakers, likely DIY with top quality Scandinavian drivers & passive crossovers since I can't really afford to play with manufactured speakers at the level that I want to be. What is your preference?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 pm 

it is off topic....but JBL 4350A......

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next