Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:59 pm 

My seller didn't have the resistors but I bought a few choices to trial. Once dialed in I'll upgrade. I'm dangerous when I start to tinker but I love tweaking things here and there, I might try to improve things on the crossover.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:48 pm 

malthuse wrote:
My seller didn't have the resistors but I bought a few choices to trial. Once dialed in I'll upgrade. I'm dangerous when I start to tinker but I love tweaking things here and there, I might try to improve things on the crossover.

I haven't found anything to beat the Deulund resistors (in series) in passive crossovers for any speaker. Feel free to PM me if you want to hear about my experiences with modifying MG1.6qr. Don't know if they made big improvements with the 1.7, probably some.

To Libor - JBL 4350 looks like a treat if you have a big room and wallet - I have neither!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:32 pm 

planetofsound wrote:
You've already owned the best. I'll wager $1000 that it's setup and associated gear standing between you and the sound you want, not the speaker. You just need a real expert to consult with what you have. The rest of these suggestions are stabbing in the dark based on varying personal biases.

1+

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:40 pm 

malthuse wrote:
Thanks guys. These Maggie's are blowing my mind right now. I'm driving them with 500 watts of quality power. They are a little shrill so I'll try taming that with a resistor on the tweeter. Where they are absolutely outstanding is in the soundstage. As an example I have a recording of a song I know really well that was always flat on any speaker I've tried. On the Maggie's it comes alive. The chorus is full and rich and the soloist completely distinct from the chorus. They create a wide open look into the sound. Truly eye opening. I can't believe it took me this long to discover magnepans.

What amp?

I'm glad you've found something you like, but if you were still looking I would suggest in keeping with your favourable experience with electrostats, that you consider the Soltanus. I haven't heard them.... only good things about them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:45 pm 

planetofsound wrote:
You've already owned the best. I'll wager $1000 that it's setup and associated gear standing between you and the sound you want, not the speaker. You just need a real expert to consult with what you have. The rest of these suggestions are stabbing in the dark based on varying personal biases.

There's some serious experience on this forum and some people who have been through my path before and negotiated a way forward. I'm interested in hearing their opinions as they are very valuable.

oh, and I take you up on that $1000, can I get it in store credit?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:00 pm 

So, it turns out I hadn't heard "the best".

My magnepan 1.6 are providing a completely novel insight into music. A chorus, sounds like a chorus. Symphonic orchestras sound like symphonic orchestras, and...well, you get the point.

I have a pair of 3.7is heading my way.

The quads 57s are great and have their place. The magnepans destroy them, need I say more.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:29 pm 
Premium User

The 3.7i IMHO is one of the best values in speakers, great choice. I loved the MG 3.6/R I had many years ago.