Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Yamaha NS 30X
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:46 pm 

Anybody have any experience with these speakers as far as sound quality?? Seen a pair locally in not bad shape for what seems to be a decent price, but I haven't heard them. Not looking to purchase as main speakers but more curious if they are good enough for basement work area speakers or for testing equipment on such as restoring receivers etc.

G.T.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha NS 30X
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:10 pm 

I bought a set new in 1988, driven by all brand new upper end Yamaha separates and an accompanying DSP-1 unit with rear speakers NS-10X rear speakers. They were the main speakers on an approx. $8500 system.
The speakers are 6 Ohm, very efficient at 91 db/W @1M and handle 170 W. If the cabs aren't dinged up the black finish looks great with some Pledge. They are best without the grilles as the mid and tweeter have mesh covers.
Nice mid and highs but I did eventually succumb to a powered subwoofer. Ran a lot of processors that made the speakers really sing; dbx 3bx, BBE Maxie, the crazy DSP-1. Just recently gave most of it away.

So, yes they are great speakers. Properly elevated and in a more near field monitor type style. I had them in an apt living room when I used them up to the early to mid nineties. Now my friend is enjoying them.

Unless they are quite mint cosmetically I wouldn't pay much for them. I won't comment on the price of the ones f/s on CAM but if they are really in great cosmetic condition they are surprisingly nice looking IMHO.

Post subject: Re: Yamaha NS 30X
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:43 pm 

Thanks so much for the input. The ones I seen are not on CAM and I don't think they are near Mint as I only gave them a passing glance at the time but did see some nicks and scuffs. Never had a chance to hear them either. Figured I'd try to get some info first. I'd have to check back to see how much he'd let them go for and decide from there that is if they are even still available. Seen them last Thursday.

GT.