Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:06 am 

Good day all,

It's no secret to many of you that Madcap is seriously addicted to Celestion Ditton speakers. I have bought, traded, sold, refurbished, recapped crossovers and rewired no fewer than 18 of them over the course of 10 years. My all-time favourite remains the Celestion Ditton 44.

Before you question my preference, please bear in mind that I have owned 6 pairs of the 44 since 2007. Some came from Montreal (3 pairs), one from Ottawa, one from Toronto (Kijiji...horrors), and I have forgotten where the sixth member hailed from.

**I just remembered that the sixth pair came from Guelph. They had been butchered with really bad banana plugs, damaged cabinets with crunched corners and all-round general abuse. Parted those out for the drivers)**

I did all of this chasing around to verify that I was not getting "out-liers" in the population; in other words, as representative a sample as possible. (Don't you hate nerdy science types applying their knowledge of satistics to evaluate speakers?)

I have now settled on the last pair of Ditton 44 that I will ever own. They sit happily in a central position flanked by a pair of Ditton 15 and a pair of Ditton 15XR

What about the flagship Ditton 66 you may well ask? I bought and subsequently sold the only 2 pairs that I have owned (2008 and 2014). The last pair gave me such annoying speaker fatigue, that I couldn't wait to get rid of them! I priced them so low that they were gone in 4 hours!

One other Ditton that deserves honourable mention: the Ditton 33.

By some fluke, I ended up owning 2 pairs of the Ditton 25. What a nightmare those are. They sound like they are buried under a mattress. Gone in 60 seconds for those babies!

Any of the subsequent models such as the 3XX, 4XX and 6XX series were all poorly conceived and also badly marketed, in an attempt by Celestion to regain their fading glory.

At this point in time, I have bitten the Gold bullet and acquired a pair of Tannoy 15" Gold Monitors complete with a pristine pair of Walnut cabinets. i will be following up with my impressions of that legendary British concentric driver sometime within the next 45 days.

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 am 

I too like Celestion and collected their 33, 44, 44II, 442, 551 and 662 at one time, I like the 551 the best, but I have none now.
heard their 25 and can't stand it.
also had their DL-6 and 8, not bad too.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:22 am 

Madcap, thanks for sharing. I will be interested in hearing your opinion of the different characteristics of the Tannoys. I have been interested in the Dittons....never had a pair, but I do enjoy the 70's/80's sound; two of my three systems are primarily utilizing CV and JBL.....and I love that mellow, "round" sound.

So keep us informed! :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:00 pm 

old-guy wrote:
I too like Celestion and collected their 33, 44, 44II, 442, 551 and 662 at one time, I like the 551 the best, but I have none now.
heard their 25 and can't stand it.
also had their DL-6 and 8, not bad too.

I thought I was the old guy in here. The Ditton 332 (that I owned for barely a week in 2008) were the closest in all-round performance to the Ditton 44. They didn't have that "wrap you up with a warm blanket" feeling as they ran through Echoes by Pink Floyd. The lower end just wasn't as tight as the 44. The HF-2000 was untouchable for its crisp handling of those strays that Pink Floyd loved to throw at you. Similar to Hendrix on his Axix Bold as Love (Cut 1 Side 1).

-- 19 Sep 2017, 17:14 --

brownslane wrote:
Madcap, thanks for sharing. I will be interested in hearing your opinion of the different characteristics of the Tannoys. I have been interested in the Dittons....never had a pair, but I do enjoy the 70's/80's sound; two of my three systems are primarily utilizing CV and JBL.....and I love that mellow, "round" sound.

So keep us informed! :D

brownslane, you will be pleased to know that you will read not only my take on the Tannoy 12" Gold, none other than analogluvr will contribute to the discussion. He has graciously agreed to assist this newbie Tannoy owner with room placement, (side and rear) as well as amplifier selection.

My latest update is that my cabinets will be shipped during the early part of the week of 25 September. Past experience of cross-Canada shipments indicates an arrival date of 3 October. Give me/us time to coordinate it all, and a report should logically follow shortly thereafter. It actually has to be completed no later than 12 October. Reason: Madcap is treating himself to a cool birthday present this year: 42 days in South Africa!

brownslane, send me a PM for a list of the Dittons that will have to vacate to make room for my Tannoys. My hoarding days are behind me now.