Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

What length of speaker cables do you use [mains]?
10' 17%  17%  [ 12 ]
8' 26%  26%  [ 19 ]
6' 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Shorter than 6' 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
Longer than 10' 31%  31%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 72
 Post subject: Re: Speaker cable length
PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:53 pm 

While I think 8ft. would be the standard length. I fear Ken Hotte (Teo Audio) is right. No mater what stand length is offered someone will ask for a custom build.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:54 pm 
Premium User

Teo Audio wrote:
As someone who has been involved in manufacturing for about 20 years +, all I can say is that no matter what you stock, people will want some other size. It's just the nature of it...

Yep, nature of the beast I suppose.
That said, I'm not going in to this thinking I'm going to sell these by the truckload.
I just know how long it takes to build my power cables, and how popular they seem to be [and/or will be - I hope that doesn't sound egotistical], so I'd just like to able to offer these with a decent turn-around time without sacrificing anything on the power cable side of the business.
At the end of the day, it's really simple - I'm just trying to make everybody everywhere happy all the time.
I mean, c'mon... that should be pretty easy, right?...

Designed by Math & Science,
not marketing

"We use art to decorate space, we use music to decorate time"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm 
Premium User

Mod Beat wrote:
How will your cables differ from the zillion others out there?

Well, I don't want to launch in to an ad here [the post would probably get deleted anyways], but here's the deal:
In the grand scheme of things, they're speaker cables, and just like 'The .1' power cable, I'm not going in to this trying to re-invent the wheel and throw a bunch half-baked marketing gimmicks at you.
The science is simple - electrical signals want to take the path of least resistance [just like we do - most of the time, anyways].
The biggest challenge I'm looking to tackle with these speaker cables, which is the bane of speaker cables everywhere, is skin effect.
Cable manufacturers twist themselves in to knots [sometimes literally if you take a look at some of the designs out there] trying to combat skin effect. My approach will be somewhat like the guys over at *edited* [I'm not supposed to say their name, but let's just say my friend KIMBERly van KABLEhoussen is a fan], who like to use multiple smaller gauges to make a larger gauge and then they braid the cable to combat "inter-play" between the positive and negative conductors.
I'm going to take part of that concept - using multiple smaller gauge wires - and put my own twist on it. Not a literal twist though, because I think I have a better approach to making sure the 2 polarities play nice with other. Actually... they won't be playing with each other at all - you'll see.

Above all else though, this will all be done at a price point [around $200 for an UN-terminated 8' bi-wired pair] that sits far below the performance level.
I know, I know, that same old trope.
I'll say this though - I think 'The .1' gives me just a teeny tiny bit of credibility when I make a statement about price vs. performance, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if I'm completely full of sh_t.
Attachment:
6 - Business Card.jpg
6 - Business Card.jpg [ 85.89 KiB | Viewed 193 times ]

not marketing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:55 pm 
Premium User

dcrooks wrote:
FWIW, I run 1 meter speaker cables, as my mono-blocks sit on the floor behind the speakers...
The long wires, are the balanced interconnects back to the pre-amp.

Smart - me likey.
Although it's tough to do that in some rooms due to power outlet placement, unless of course you plan/build ahead and put outlets where you want them.
Hey, speaking of power... just kidding, I know that's a no-no. :)
Cheers!

not marketing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:34 am 

nrg1275 wrote:
Mod Beat wrote:

Well, I don't want to launch in to an ad here [the post would probably get deleted anyways], but here's the deal:
In the grand scheme of things, they're speaker cables, and just like 'The .1' power cable, I'm not going in to this trying to re-invent the wheel and throw a bunch half-baked marketing gimmicks at you.
The science is simple - electrical signals want to take the path of least resistance [just like we do - most of the time, anyways].
The biggest challenge I'm looking to tackle with these speaker cables, which is the bane of speaker cables everywhere, is skin effect.
Cable manufacturers twist themselves in to knots [sometimes literally if you take a look at some of the designs out there] trying to combat skin effect. My approach will be somewhat like the guys over at *edited* [I'm not supposed to say their name, but let's just say my friend KIMBERly van KABLEhoussen is a fan], who like to use multiple smaller gauges to make a larger gauge and then they braid the cable to combat "inter-play" between the positive and negative conductors.
I'm going to take part of that concept - using multiple smaller gauge wires - and put my own twist on it. Not a literal twist though, because I think I have a better approach to making sure the 2 polarities play nice with other. Actually... they won't be playing with each other at all - you'll see.

Above all else though, this will all be done at a price point [around $200 for an UN-terminated 8' bi-wired pair] that sits far below the performance level.
I'll say this though - I think 'The .1' gives me just a teeny tiny bit of credibility when I make a statement about price vs. performance, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see if I'm completely full of sh_t.
Attachment:
6 - Business Card.jpg

Skin effect relates to MHz transmission frequencies if I recall correctly. Never could see a relevant comparison to 20 KHz and lower signals, but hey, I'm no expert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:14 am 

Could you just do large batch runs of the cable and then cut to order and terminate - Not sure if that would be more efficient than doing up a "rush job" for each order. Making them in real time would likely be the most efficient use of cable but maybe not of your time.
I am certainly no expert - just spit balling.
Good luck
jp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:05 pm 
Premium User

J. P. wrote:
Could you just do large batch runs of the cable and then cut to order and terminate

Thanks for the input J.P.
Unfortunately [for me, not for any potential customers], the main body of the cable will be constructed in such a way that I won't simply be able to peel back what for terminations [I know, I'm making it difficult for myself - but it's all in the name of science!]. The design is also going to require breakout boots, and a finishing sleeve on the main body and a smaller sleeve after the breakout boots. In my mind, it's gotta look as good as it sounds!
Attachment:
Speaker wire cosmetics.jpg
Speaker wire cosmetics.jpg [ 199.28 KiB | Viewed 134 times ]

Cheers!

not marketing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:24 am 

spinaker01 wrote:
nrg1275 wrote:
Mod Beat wrote:

Attachment:
6 - Business Card.jpg

Skin effect relates to MHz transmission frequencies if I recall correctly. Never could see a relevant comparison to 20 KHz and lower signals, but hey, I'm no expert

These guys are experts:
http://www.belden.com/blog/broadcastav/Understanding-Skin-Effect-and-Frequency.cfm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:15 am 
Premium User

Bumpy wrote:

Great read. Thanks! :D

not marketing

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:40 pm 

The upshot of which is that skin effect in audio is irrelevant.