Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Successful Recap
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:59 pm 

Hello All. I've had mixed feelings about recapping my Celestion SL6s. I bought the original spec Alcap capacitors from Falcon Acoustics in the UK about 6 months ago, and they've sat in the drawer since. I had them done yesterday. Upon reconnecting them last night, it was immediately apparent how much of an improvement there was. I've been running these speakers off an on for the past 8 years (more on), and they have returned to the sound that I recall them producing 7-8 years ago. I think the cap drift has slowly been taking place over that period of time. Everything is much better, focus, detail, transparency. I didn't realize fully how much inner detail I had lost. This happens over time, and one reaches a point where you realize that something is just not right. In fact, I was thinking that my amplifier was sounding very flat and overall just "Mehhhh", but it was the speakers all along. They are a bit brighter and livelier too, but not in a bad way at all. This, with only a few hours running, so perhaps they will continue to improve with time. Listening has been with my tuner only, as I am cartridge-less at the moment. In a few days time my Nagaoka MP-30 arrives, so I'm really looking forward to hearing them with good vinyl recordings. In any event, I was a bit anti-capping after a few experiences with amps in the past that did not yield good results, but the difference for the better is readily apparent with the old Celestions. $68 all in, including the caps and labour!

Post subject: Re: Successful Recap
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:19 pm 

Informative post, I would have never thought of that, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:54 pm 

That's awesome. Nice to have the old beauties back to sounding so good. Thanks for posting this - I've been thinking of doing the same for my old Celestions.

I'm sure you'll be in for a treat once you get your cartridge installed. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:06 pm 
Premium User

My experience has consistently been the same as yours cyrus, recapping older speakers makes a massive improvement in sound. Sadly a lot of people thing that unless something is completely broken, that is working fine. Recapping electronics can be a complex and costly undertaking, but the cost to recap speaker crossovers is usually small, and it's typically something even a beginner can handle.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:09 pm 

It has only been in the last couple of years that I have become aware of the importance of "re-capping" electronics after 20 or 30 years.

Speakers especially. Crossovers suffer from the aging process.

Listening to the first pair of speakers I refreshed was the equivalent as if someone had switched the Dolby NR on in a cassette player. The noise floor dropped and the resultant image improved.

I wish I hadn't sold my Klipsch Hereseys before I flipped through enough of these forums to get the facts.

Now if you have ever considered bi-amping or even tri-amping your speakers, an ACTIVE CROSSOVER is seriously worth consideration.

Depending on what make and model you get, you can change the crossover frequencies, crossover slope, and assign preset equalization points and curves.