Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:30 am 

AJCall wrote:
JP, let us know when you get them, if you meet with Bolly,it will be fun,I've known him for at least 17 yrs

To AJCall, dr.joe, Bolly, et al

This is sooooo embarrassing, I must get it off my chest.

My quest for Tannoys began in earnest over Labour Day weekend. While I was on the hunt, I stumbled into the USAudioMart website. What I found there left me dumbfounded. A fellow from MA was selling the Sansui AU-717 and TU-717 combo. Now I have been chasing all over Canada for that set-up since 1999! Quick like a bunny, I called the seller only to find out that he was going to be out of town for a conference in Denver then rushing back to Atlanta to give his daughter away on the occasion of her wedding. This gentleman and I spoke daily to hammer out the logistics of my payment, his ability to meet shipping costs. Everything was delayed by 7 days thanks to the hurricane in Florida. My seller was stranded in Atlanta for 2 additional days.

Last chapter: the units are en route to me via FedEx scheduled to arrive this Friday.

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... dium=email

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/6493 ... dium=email

The hunt for the Tannoys resumes in earnest. To my delight, since my last venture into the CAM Classifieds, three new ads have appeared, all for Tannoy 15s. e-mails ensued, telephone calls to QC, ON and BC in quick succession. I opted for the only Gold Tannoys on offer. It was only after I had paid my seller a deposit, that he called and said, and I quote: "Hi JP, got your e-mail re: shipping. You made a typo. These Golds are the 12" version"

My eyes hit my hair line, I paused for a full 10 seconds, then broke out into a belly aching laugh. He was right of course. I had skimmed over Line 2 of his ad where clearly was written the number 12. All in all, I am not the least bit upset. It will save me a good amount in shipping costs and the cabinets are not monstrous in size. Benefits all around.

So come on gang, have a laugh on ol' Madcap.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:21 am 

Not to rain on your parade and I'm sure you will ultimately end up enjoying then, but subjectively the twelves do not compare to fifteens. They also do not sell for nearly as much. I owned Tannoy yorkminster se's(which are twelves) and then tried a pair of gold fifteens against them and the gold fifteens were substantially better. Then I tried a pair of 3836's in the same boxes that the golds were in and preferred those over the golds, but that was a small difference.
I also owned a pair of Tannoy stirlings which are tens and those would be my last choice after all of the above. That said they were all enjoyable.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:32 am 

analogluvr wrote:
Not to rain on your parade and I'm sure you will ultimately end up enjoying then, but subjectively the twelves do not compare to fifteens. They also do not sell for nearly as much.

analogluvr

Thank you for your subjective observations. What you must appreciate is the fact that I will be diving into totally unknown waters with these Tannoy 12" Gold Monitors complete in Onken walnut cabinets.

I have owned only one pair of higher end speakers in the past 32 years: Ohm Walsh 4 Speaker System. These omnidirectiional speakers have won side-by-side auditions for over 15 years. Reason for the long delay: I had to store the Walsh units from 1989 until 2005. That explains why I still have the original shipping boxes for these towers.

If, as many people have intimated, that the 12 do not have the Bass response of the 15, then Presto, I can simply turn on the Ohms with their gobs of bottom end punch. i'm not that much of a purist when it comes to the "one speaker does it all" mentality.

I'm sure there are benefits sitting on both sides of the 12 vs 15 fence. I just feel that one reaches a point of diminishing returns very abruptly as one creeps up into the higher atmosphere of currency.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:47 am 

Actually out of the four sets of Tannoy's that I had the Yorkminster's/12's had the deepest bass followed with the 3836 then the golds and then the Sterlings. Obviously it has a lot to do with the cabinets. That Yorkminster's were rear ported which a lot of the Tannoy crowd was against. It forces you to draw them out into the room where as with most of the front ported cabinets you can get them back into the corners. Where I found the 15 to have a clear advantage over the 12 was in the mid range presence region. They just had more of that you are there magic. They sounded bigger and more effortless which I was a big fan of. That being said I'm sure you will enjoy the 12s as well. I'm just posting this more for other folks information. I hate incomplete threads that you read about somebody getting a new piece and they never come back and report on how it worked out for them.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:18 pm 

It was quite an eye-opening experience for my friend and I. I had these old 15 inch Tannoy 3836drivers kicking around and then I saw a member post these cabinets. I went and looked at them and they were about 200 pounds each empty. Brilliant construction dead solid and they happened to have a pair of Tannoy golds in them I bought the cabinets right away and asked the gentleman if he would leave the Tannoy golds in them so I could try them out against my Tannoy Yorkminsters. If the Yorkminster's were better I was going to return the gold drivers to him. If I preferred the gold I would buy those drivers as well. I had purchased the Yorkminster's about two years before for around 12 K and they were only about eight years old. They were the latest SE version.I was expecting it to be no contest in favour of the Yorkminster's as I was conditioned to believe that newer is better. There was no way I thought a pair of 60-year-old drivers was going to beat out a pair of eight-year-old speakers that were Worth about 10 K.
Boy were we surprised! It was incredibly obvious not subtle at all. The golds just slaughtered the Yorkminster's in every parameter. So I purchased the gold drivers left them in those amazing cabinets and immediately put the Yorkminsters up for sale and sold them. So my under 3K pair of 60-year-old speakers soundly thrashed my almost 10 K modern Speakers. In hindsight I do believe it had a lot to do with the para 15's against a pair of 12 but I'll never know for sure.
Anyway I still had those 3836 drivers and my friend kept bugging me to try those in the cabinets. I was in absolutely no hurry as I figured there was no way they were going to beat out the golds. The gold did have an amazing reputation and comparing them build wise was one-sided as well. The Golds were heavily built while the 3836 drivers were much lighter. The golds had Alnico and the pepper pot tweeter and the 3836 had ferrite magnets and the tulip waveguide both of which are less desirable. So after about four months I finally put in the 3836 drivers and again I was surprised. The only thing they were really better at was they were A fair bit more efficient otherwise it was pretty much a wash. But greater efficiency is a no-brainer advantage in my book. Now I have a pair of oneK drivers that I had directly compared against the sacred cow golds and preferred them. So I quickly sold the golds and used the 1500 bucks to build premium crossovers for the 3836. Now I have moved away from Tannoy's entirely more to horns but it was quite an experience.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:52 pm 

There must be something about the 12's that people like. I have been considering a set of Tannoys for a while, and due to cabinet size am leaning towards the 12's. Locally there are 15's for sale and have been for a long time. However, I have missed out on 3 sets of 12's all that sold within hours of listing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:16 pm 

Canadiansnowland wrote:
However, I have missed out on 3 sets of 12's all that sold within hours of listing.

I suspect that's the norm. I contacted the seller of my 12s only 5 hours after his listing went up on-line. We were speaking on the phone that morning and it was a done deal by 12:00 local time. Not bad for him: 10 hours from cradle to grave.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:40 pm 

I prefer the midrange from the 12's, and they are more suitable to smaller rooms.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:03 pm 

currently own the Tannoy SRM 12 B control room monitors and find these to be very revealing in detail, much better then anything I had in the past. Running these off a modded Quad 405 and 33 pre and a Ortofon Black on my turntable. It keeps me wanting to listen and usually has my undivided attention when i can spare the time. Lots of detail in the mids

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:23 pm 

Madcap wrote:
one of the sellers I spoke with has had the foam replaced with Rubber surrounds. Being a dyed-in-the-wool Celestion Ditton addict, I know the intrinsic value and longevity of rubber surrounds.

I realize I'm late with my comments here but.... NO NO NO! You cannot simply replace Foam surrounds with Rubber! You'll change the speakers damping factor, which will require reworking of the cabinet volume and tuning for best sound, otherwise you'll end up with a different low frequency response.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:28 pm 

Analogluvr—

A great account—and instructive in many ways!—of your experience with Tannoys. Many thanks for taking the trouble to write it down.

The 3836 driver is, by many accounts, a cosmetic variant of the 3833GG driver used in the System 15 studio monitor. I've owned 3836s and own 3833GGs and they look the same to me, even if I cannot now A-B the 3836s I used to have with the 3833GGs I now have.

Anyway, I grew up with Monitor Golds and HPDs and loved them, so I always felt a bit disloyal about favouring the System 15 DMT over the classic Monitor Gold models that played the soundtrack to my youth. . .

And yet your experience, compressed into a much shorter period of time, parallels mine.

So aficionados of vintage Tannoys—do not disdain those (by comparison) flimsy 3833s and 3836s! A pair might just end up as your next, or last, speaker!