Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:04 am 

Good morning all,

I am on a quest to locate a pair of the legendary Tannoy 15" Gold in a complete speaker system. So far, the best examples all appear to be in British Columbia! You Western CAM members can't be faulted for your exquisite taste in speakers. Shipping and Handling of the large enclosures the Tannoy drivers require is what makes a purchase exceedingly high.

Having recently come into a "Sale Pending" situation with my Ohm Walsh 4 speakers, I am reconsidering my decision to purchase the Ohm 5000 Tall from the factory. I have no experience with the Tannoy, having auditioned only one pair of 15" models in a cold Ottawa garage about 10 years ago.

Thoughts and/or experience anyone?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:24 am 

among the Tannoy 15" speakers for sale, a certain percentage are being sold recently after they have had surround foam replaced. Perhaps a local purchase with inspection and audition is best if foams have not been replaced.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:57 am 

phaseshift wrote:
Perhaps a local purchase with inspection and audition is best if foams have not been replaced.

Thank you phaseshift. I have thought of that, HOWEVR, one of the sellers I spoke with has had the foam replaced with Rubber surrounds. Being a dyed-in-the-wool Celestion Ditton addict, I know the intrinsic value and longevity of rubber surrounds.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:19 am 

There has been a pair for sale on kijiji manitoba for over a year, but no cabinets. Might be worth looking at having a pair of cabs built locally versus shipping something that big.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:00 am 

hey Madcap!! I got your PM last week! If you want to hear my 1968 Tannoy Stuarts next time you're in the Bay you're welcome to!! But they only the 12" versions :(

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:42 am 

This is probably my heart talking, but if you really want them ,get them.Everything else will be a substitute for what you want.

After you get them,set them up ,listen to them,you'll forget the monetary outlay.

I had a pair of bookshelf Tannoys,they were wonderful

Good luck

Alan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:20 am 

bolly wrote:
hey Madcap!! I got your PM last week! If you want to hear my 1968 Tannoy Stuarts next time you're in the Bay you're welcome to!! But they only the 12" versions :(

Hey bolly! How is it that we have never met? I visit my 87 year old mother in the Bay every 6 weeks from Etobicoke. No matter, let's meet at Greco's on Algonquin for a pint and a piece. I'll be up the week of the 25th of September.

Ciao

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:50 am 

AJCall wrote:
This is probably my heart talking, but if you really want them ,get them.Everything else will be a substitute for what you want.

Alan, you are one wise man! and I mean that in all seriousness. It almost made me weep thinking about "the one" I let get away some 30 years ago! I will heed that advice and find a pair of Tannoy 15" Gold.

JP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:39 pm 

Madcap wrote:
phaseshift wrote:
Perhaps a local purchase with inspection and audition is best if foams have not been replaced.

Thank you phaseshift. I have thought of that, HOWEVR, one of the sellers I spoke with has had the foam replaced with Rubber surrounds. Being a dyed-in-the-wool Celestion Ditton addict, I know the intrinsic value and longevity of rubber surrounds.

If the speakers you are considering buying are real Monitor Golds, they by definition cannot have or have ever had foam surrounds. Early Golds were made with doped pleated paper surrounds; later ones with rubber surrounds. No Golds were ever made with foam surrounds.

Now because the first Tannoy speakers made with foam surrounds—the HPD series—had gold-coloured frames, some people mistakenly call them "Golds," but that's just what it is, a mistake.

Only the HPD series and a few post-HPD models ever used foam surrounds. And many owners are now reconing those with Tannoy's newer "hard-edge" cone kits—as I have done with a pair of 3839 drivers—with impressive results.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:17 pm 

dr.joe

I am beholden to you for your concise and very clear explanation of the nuances and differences between the Gold drivers versus everything else. You have made my blood pressure drop by a significant margin.

To one and all, I am pleased to announce that I have plunged into the deep end and parted with my cash for a pair of genuine Tannoy 15" Gold monitors complete with Custom cabinets. I will not see them for a couple of weeks due to ligistical complications. At my age, I have learned the value of patience and compromise.

Once again, thank you to everyone who replied to my query.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:46 pm 

Madcap wrote:
dr.joe I am beholden to you for your concise and very clear explanation of the nuances and differences between the Gold drivers versus everything else. You have made my blood pressure drop by a significant margin.

Glad if I've been of some help!

A further comment: "custom cabinets" could enhance the performance of the drivers or degrade them. Depends on the cabinet design used and the woodworker's skill.

If the custom cabs are simply faithful copies of a Tannoy-designed cabinet, perhaps using better materials, all will be well. If not, it would be good to learn about how the design used was chosen.

Certainly in the case of the popular Arden and Berkeley models, the factory cabinets leave much to be desired. Copying them, but with well-braced birch plywood or birch ply/mdf laminates can really bring out the potential of the venerable Dual Concentric.

Many of us, I'm sure, would like to learn of your thoughts after you've had them for a month or two. . .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:58 pm 

hope you not gone end with pig in a poke....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:23 pm 

The original MG15 Golds are more of a refined PA driver and designed for pro/studio and broadcast applications.
They like a lot of real estate between the speaker and listener 12-15ft at least.
Also,large 250-300L to get maximum results.Smallest maybe is the Lockwood Major cabinets as used by the BBC and EMI.

Gary

Attachments:
d72179a2ea1ae303a95ade031bcba5ad.jpg
d72179a2ea1ae303a95ade031bcba5ad.jpg [ 37.7 KiB | Viewed 647 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:48 pm 

To one and all, I am pleased to announce that I have plunged into the deep end and parted with my cash for a pair of genuine Tannoy 15" Gold monitors complete with Custom cabinets. I will not see them for a couple of weeks due to ligistical complications. At my age, I have learned the value of patience and compromise.

JP, let us know when you get them, if you meet with Bolly,it will be fun,I've known him for at least 17 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:44 am 

dr.joe wrote:
Madcap wrote:
dr.joe I am beholden to you for your concise and very clear explanation of the nuances and differences between the Gold drivers versus everything else. You have made my blood pressure drop by a significant margin.

Glad if I've been of some help!

A further comment: "custom cabinets" could enhance the performance of the drivers or degrade them. Depends on the cabinet design used and the woodworker's skill.

Many of us, I'm sure, would like to learn of your thoughts after you've had them for a month or two. . .

If you can swing by my humble abode after my "new-to-me" Tannoys have been set up, YOU can post your impressions of the cabinets that adorn my Golds.

Take care all,
JP