Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 am 

When you say "budget" are you referring to speakers in the same price bracket as the Arro's? New or used??
jp

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:49 am 

If safety for your wee one is a concern, perhaps the Arro’s with it small foot print and high centre of gravity is not the best of choices unless you can fix a wider plinth to them. You can apply this same piece of mind to many small floor stand speakers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:51 am 

Arros and a nice sub will be quite nice. Sttafs and a nice sub would probably be in the budget as well.

I wouldn't rule out a good stand mounted speaker just because of the kids. Mount them on something like the target 4 post stands filled with steel shot and mounting tape to the bottom of the speaker - no kids gonna topple that, in fact it's probably be a lot more stable than many small floor standers.

-- 16 Sep 2017 07:52 --

sthomas1049 wrote:
If safety for your wee one is a concern, perhaps the Arro’s with it small foot print and high centre of gravity is not the best of choices unless you can fix a wider plinth to them. You can apply this same piece of mind to many small floor stand speakers

I believe Totem recommend filling the bases of the Arros with sand or steel shot. Once full they are not so tippy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:57 am 

kb007 wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

I believe Totem recommend filling the bases of the Arros with sand or steel shot. Once full they are not so tippy.

Good advice but not always applied. Also agree with your comment on stand mounts with some even allowing the stand to be bolted to the speaker.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:11 am 

Recommended as well .. PMC GB1 .. pretty Sweet :)

Attachments:
IMG_1688.JPG
IMG_1688.JPG [ 270.55 KiB | Viewed 264 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:14 am 

Arros are not especially stable - they have a narrow plinth and are light. The demo I saw at the store wasn't even fastened to that plinth, I assume that was an oversight. Get some bookshelf speakers, put them on the floor, and maybe use some isoacoustic isolation stands (1-2 inches high). And keep an eye on that kid - they find trouble in no time at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:30 am 

Wharfedale Achromatic towers. Do NOT write these off if you've never listened to them. Your jaws will drop and eyes pop when you first hear them.

Achromatic Series loudspeakers are sleek and elegant, making them ideal for custom-installation, architectural and designer applications. All models have a stunning
piano-black finish with soft leatherette accents. Their slim-profile design complements any flat-panel TV and home décor. The wall-mountable models can be installed either horizontally or vertically using their standard keyhole wall mounts.
“Achromatic” literally means “without coloration” — the sonic design goal of the Achromatic Series. To achieve their clear, neutral, yet expressive and detailed sound, Wharfedale developed new drivers exclusively for the Series. The compact yet powerful 3-inch woofer/midrange driver features an inverted aluminum dome, along with a high-sensitivity, long-throw voice coil that is directly coupled to the edge of the dome via a butyl rubber surround.
The 1-inch soft-dome tweeter utilizes a ferrofluid-cooled, copper-coated aluminum voice coil, to preserve subtle high-frequency nuances and avoid dynamic compression.
All the drivers are closely matched to their enclosures. As a result, crossovers with a minimum of parts can be used, resulting in greater sonic purity and smoother frequency response. The drivers and enclosures are also designed to provide more uniform in-room response and smooth dispersion over a wider listening area.
Unlike many loudspeakers, all Wharfedale models are designed and built completely in-house, from their drivers and internal components to their elegantly finished cabinets.

Just sayin .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:17 am 

when I ran a set up such as this I found the lack of a centre channel a noticeable void; like it was missing some cohesiveness.
Replaced with a Naim Muso. No earthquake effect but much more satisfied with tv/movie watching and not a slouch for music.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:40 am 

On the stability of the Arro's, here is an old picture of mine with the new plinths I made::

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/ ... 0/1319.jpg

Arros are okay without a sub, but require careful setup. I have about 10 lbs of lead shot in mine and have blocked the bottom ports. Placement wrt the back wall is also important.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:57 am 

While my kids were small, my speakers were mounted on the wall.