Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:10 am 

Good day one and all.
It has been a long time since I have plunged into these Forums. As a formal Senior Citizen in the database of our Government, it's time for some introspection. More importantly, I am determined to get my hands on a pair of the new Ohm Walsh 5000 speakers pictured here.

http://ohmspeaker.com/speakers/walsh-tall/#wt-5000

With all of the cross-border hassles involved in shipping speakers as large as these, it's doubtful that my current Walsh 4 will be considered in a trade. So....my question is the following. Is there a market in this country for a 32 year old speaker of this calibre? By that I mean an omni-directional driver design, rather unique for its era (and still is in my opinion).

One very happy event occurred only a few days ago. I FINALLY, after 18 solid years of scouring this country for a coveted combo, I found and purchased this system. It will be in my hands by Friday 15 September 2017.

Sansui AU-717 Integrated Amplifier + Sansui TU-717 Tuner circa 1978 from the original owner, both fully restored in March 2017, complete with original shipping boxes, literature, etc. etc.

The moral of this story is that all good things come to those who wait, or some such drivel. Anyway, things are looking very bright indeed in Madcap's listening room.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:36 am 

Although I am not actually answering the question at hand, I once owned a pair of Ohm Pro-150's. They were my first real pair of good speakers, bought in about 1990 when I was 20. I remember the purchase...I had bought a pair of NHT Model 1's from Circuit City in Buffalo. I 'blew them up' within a few days (oops) and went back to exchange them. They were clearing out a demo pair of Pro-150's and I had a listen. Needless to say, I asked to exchange the NHT's for these. I got them for $150 (I remember because the price and model number matched), with a good exchange rate at the time. They served me well for many years and I passed them down to a buddy who still uses them to this day...and they still sound great, despite being quite tattered.

What always impressed me the most about them is the rock solid soundstage. You can be right in front of one of the speakers and the soundstage is firmly planted between the two. Many other superlatives would apply to these speakers.

I would love to hear a review of the Walsh 5000's if you get them!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:39 am 

Farles,

That is an interesting story indeed. I recall that when you were about 7 years old, our Dollar (and we had real paper one dollar bills back then!) was par with the USD. It took almost 30 years to reach that plateau again.

Anyway, you are most welcome to come over and audition the Walsh 4 that I currently own. Those will go up for sale very soon. I just ordered two new grilles because of feline damage at a cost of $140 + $70 shipping. Another $265 CAD in expenditures. (Trust me, those 2 sneaky Persians are long gone!)

Trading them in on the Walsh 5000 is an option that was proposed to me by Ohm Acoustics, but the shipping costs would be prohibitive. I would lose most of the $1750 trade-in dollars. At a total cost of $6475 CAD (that includes the HSTof 13%) for the 5000s, those babies better be head and shoulders over my Walsh 4