Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:26 pm 

Bowers & Wilkins (B&W to us old timers) has trickled down their high researched "continuum" mid range cone material to a more affordable line, the new/old 700 series:

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/ ... 700-Series

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:36 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

There's about a 90% chance I know exactly what the new material is and ( I and others) have been using it for years before they came along and used it, or 'discovered' it...

There's only so many fibers available on this planet. :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:10 am 

Interesting the new 700 series goes back to the prior P series styling/configuration from the 1990s.

I owned the last 700 series for years and they were excellent. The newer tweeter and main driver materials on the new speakers are more forgiving so this is welcome. Evolutionary for sure but judging by the excellent results with the PM1 mini, and the CM10, B&W is heading in the right direction for voicing its mid range gear. Just hope the build quality/finish is better than the Made in China 600 series. My 704s had beautiful rosenut cabinets made in Denmark and the speakers were built in the UK.

These new speakers look sharp.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:22 pm 

I was on Facebook talking to somebody about "affordable" speakers and they mentioned that the CM series was discontinued and being replaced by the 700 series. I have owned the CM series speakers since 2007. I was an early adopter of the CM one. Looking to upgrade, I ended up purchasing a pair of CM8 s2 (white) and the matching centre channel so I was pretty surprised when I heard of the line had been discontinued.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:48 pm 

That is interesting. The CM series and old 700 co existed for a while. CM was more for AV while the 700 were for both two channel and AV. When they killed off the 700 series, the higher CMs did double duty. Interesting they are going back to the old numbering system which always made more sense to me. Wonder if the new 700s will be made in China?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:39 am 

The 702 is a $4500. USD speaker, and the best design they can provide for a plinth is a plain, ugly board of MDF? Only companies with the cachet of B&W and Land Rover can get away with that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:43 am 

I'm interested in the 705 S2's. I have 805 Matrix's in my library now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:14 pm 

ScanSpeak wrote:
I'm interested in the 705 S2's. I have 805 Matrix's in my library now.

Those Matrix 805s are probably my favourite B&W speakers. The more modern series were more resolving but the old Matrix version were better at playing music. The modern PM1 captures some of the magic of the 805 but is not as warm.

I am very curious to hear the new 700 series. They are trickling in to my local dealer (Bay Bloor Radio) but none of those systems are really set up for proper critical listening. I am sure they would set it up for my if I was in the market though.