Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:15 am 

The Tetra 606 by their own website are said to be for large rooms, handling up to 500 watts.
The reviews of themselves sound terrific, but as several have pointed out are out of scale for your room, available positioning etc. Perhaps you will be upsizing and thinking of the future?
I'd love to hear those speakers.
Interestingly too in the reviews the claims of full and detailed replication of music is so striking, so may be the replication of system flaws.
On another front, :shock: Does your wife know what is coming!?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:30 am 
Premium User

The positive side is that you have one of the best speakers at any price coming and they are fairly rare on the used market. Bass is more than likely going to be a mess in room. It doesn't hurt to at least try them and report back with the results. Worst case scenario with your budget and space a pair of used Wilson Audio Duette 2's or Raidho could be considered.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:24 am 

Thanks for all the suggestions. The Tetra's and Heron system was a gift, so no money was paid except for the cost of moving it. I have nothing invested in that system. I will mix and match and see what works and what doesn't. I really like my system now except as Prosoundman says the Harbeth's are really bass shy. Maybe the solution is sub woofers and I will sell the new system. I already gave the turntable Rega RP7 with Micro Benz cartridge to my brother, since I am not a vinyl lover. The system arrives in two weeks so I won't report until a week after that.

Headphones are not an answer, as my wife likes to listen to music to, though I wouldn't rule them out for a future purchase.

I do see a pair of Raidho C1.2 in the classifieds which I will go listen to within a few days. They certainly are the right size for the room and the price seems to be in the ballpark.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... ing-stand/

For those who say I can't get good sound from that room, I disagree. I think with enough money and the right equipment any room can sound good. I can't be the only guy on the face of this earth that happens to live in a smaller space and wants the best sound that I can afford.

I do appreciate the time people took to write and give me feedback.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:37 am 

blakcloud wrote:

Headphones are not an answer, as my wife likes to listen to music to, though I wouldn't rule them out for a future purchase.

That's why the incredible amp I posted earlier has two headphones jacks. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:53 am 

I'd try MBL. They make a really nice speaker that is smaller than the tetras for about $15K new.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:33 pm 

I would make an attempt at creating a near field environment for serious listening sessions. It means moving the speakers into position for those sessions, and then moving them back to their existing position post session, but you may realize excellent results if the time was spent with fine tuning. Try 3-5 feet away with a similar separation. You may even need to move in closer than that. The great thing about near field is that you can significantly eliminate room considerations. Works quite well for me, and there is some good information about near field on the net. If you poke around, you will come across a guy with the big Harbeth (40's I think) that practically uses them as headphones! Supposedly with excellent results. Although, near field is not the answer if both you and your wife were wishing to listen together.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:18 pm 

blakcloud wrote:

For those who say I can't get good sound from that room, I disagree. I think with enough money and the right equipment any room can sound good. I can't be the only guy on the face of this earth that happens to live in a smaller space and wants the best sound that I can afford.

I do appreciate the time people took to write and give me feedback.

It's true that you can have great sound, but you'll need to place you speakers diffetently, move your couch, add acoustic panels, bass trap, dsp, etc.

The challenge is that you have to keep your room like it is right now, and that your wife won't accept drastic changes.

A frequency null, is a frequency null, if speakers are always at the same place there's no chances to get rid of them just because you change your speakers (unless they are physicaly bigger or smaller.

Maybe a Dsp could help though.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:20 pm 

Yeah, unfortunately there are many issues with smaller rooms, although any room could be problematic if certain rules aren't followed. Standing waves, peaks and nulls, comb filtering etc. All made worse when boundaries are closer to the speaker.

Your best bet is a small bookshelf speaker and something for room correction.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:04 am 

Quote "For those who say I can't get good sound from that room, I disagree. I think with enough money and the right equipment any room can sound good. I can't be the only guy on the face of this earth that happens to live in a smaller space and wants the best sound that I can afford.'" 8)

As a qualifier, I don't usually participate much on in the forums but I kind of agree with 'blackcloud' on the part "with enough money"..."any room can sound good", so my take can be taken with a grain of salt and in no way objecting to what others have already suggested :wink:

The OP has been gifted a set of very good loudspeakers, very good linestage, and mono blocks, etc. (practically an entire system - minus cabling). Many did not know the 'Gifted' part until a later post from the OP. In the OPs attempt to ascertain whether it will work or not, without having tried it out, many here are already suggesting other loudspeakers/equipment (as per the OP's queries). Yes, given the room dimensions and layout and possible lack of room treatment, it may not work or may work very well.

Have any responders questioned...if he were able to actually treat the room "with enough money" would the Tetras and the rest of the system not "sound good"? I realize there may be constraints in this particular situation (room dimensions, layout, WAF, etc.) but how many have actually explored enough room treatments to make almost any good/well rounded system "sound good" rather than take the easier(?) route of replacing one component with another hoping to achieve the desired results? Also, yes, he may not want to explore treating the room first but that is his prerogative. The OP has indicated that "Furniture CANNOT be moved. I live with a wife and she has lots of say. Happy wife, happy life." but has not indicated that room treatments (stylish ones/WAF are available) are not allowed. From the pictures/diagrams of the condo, there is a room between the Harbeths (to the right of the component rack and to the left of the right Harbeth) and there is a somewhat open space to the right of the Harbeth on the right. There is also the open concept area of the kitchen...is it not possible the some of these aspects can be considered simpler forms of bass trapping which may somewhat contribute to "I really like my system now except as Prosoundman says the Harbeth's are really bass shy."? From the specs, the Harbeths are limited to 50Hz in the low end but most likely roll off well before 50Hz so, the Tetras may provide/flesh out the lower end in this situation. :?:

It was mentioned that when the Harbeths are pulled out '"They sound best this way." This would indicate that the OP has some knowledge of what it takes to get a return on sound quality. Also, it does appear that the OP has provided a ballpark figure to work with if things don't work out which is what many of the responders have responded in kind of what may work better.

Any way, just my 2 cents. :mrgreen:

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:09 am 

David P wrote:
How about Audionote E or J? They are made to be placed near a wall or in a corner. Sounded very good at modest volumes when I heard them. Lots of upgrade and finish options to satisfy the decorating department and provide musical satisfaction!

+1 I think given the corner the one speaker has to be in, Audionote could be a solid candidate.

With one speaker in the corner and the other not, maybe front-ported or down-firing designs should be your focus.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:23 pm 

Hi,

blakcloud wrote; 'Advice needed.'

I have a suggestion. It might pass the WAF test. Change the orientation of the speakers. You have one in the corner where the glass panel looks out on the balcony. Try the other one in the other balcony corner. Angle them in a bit toward the sweet spot. You might have to move a side table, but since you now have a pair of two person couches facing the coffee table, then the brown couch can become the sweet spot. Don't move the TV or the equipment stand - just run long speaker wire over to the newly placed corner speaker.

Benefits: 1) by placing the Harbeth speakers on a 'short wall' and by letting them throw sound into the dining area and even further into the kitchen, a better sound balance is likely. 2) bass and mid-bass in the Harbeth's will be reinforced by corner placement. 3) there is no door blockage to the balcony.

Cautions: the corners and glass panels fronting the balcony and behind the speakers may need sound absorbing materials. Try pillows and blankets to start with. Also if that coffee table is hard surface, then there will likely be some bounce, as there will be now even with their present placement. Maybe look at some surface coverings for the coffee table, even squares of cork.

About the larger speakers you are soon getting. Most likely they will overload the room. A couple of posters above have suggested Audio Note speakers and they are one of the few designs specifically built to be 'corner-loaded'. The J's and K's are worth a look. But I would experiment with those Harbeths first before emptying your wallet.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:01 pm 

Just a follow up. I have had the Tetra's for about four days and as expected they are bass heavy. I tamed it by blocking the rear ports as stop-gap measure. They sound alright, not great as they did in their last home. The clarity is there but there is no depth, and I am pretty sure it is because I am sitting so close to them.*

Bottom line is they are for sale. I auditioned Raidho 1.2's, subwoofers and tried to audition Wilson Duette's but non in stock in Toronto. Still more to listen to. If I can't sell the Tetra's because they are a hard sell, I will keep them and maybe buys some bass traps and see if I can tweak things to make them sound better.

*Just as a side note I was watching the video of Michael Fermer with his system and he has Wilson Alexanders sitting in the corner and his room is not that big and he says he gets depth from his speakers, so it is not distance that determines that at least with his speakers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H07NpWk_Xf8&t=250s. Also notice his bass traps in the corners.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:58 pm 

What you need is a house built outdoors with a room built indoors to put your system in.

Why such equipment if you can't listen at realistic levels?

Why do you think they are called L-O-U-D speakers?

I have one word for you: Stax.

Cheers!