Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:13 pm 

Advice needed. I live in a condo with limited space and design considerations.

Currently I own Harbeth 30.1's and you can see where I place them in the photos. When the wife is gone I pull them out from the wall and line them up with the corners of the carpet. They sound best this way. They are paired with a LFD NCSE Mk II with a Metrum Octave DAC.

I just received a pair of Tetra 606 speakers, Heron line stage, pre-amp and two mono blocks with another DAC of some sort.

http://www.tetraspeakers.com/high_end_s ... s/606.aspx

My thoughts are, the Tetra's which I absolutely love, are just too big for the room and I cannot pull them out from the wall. They come in a couple of weeks so everything is conjecture at this point.

Questions:
1. Will the Tetra's work, enough to enjoy them or am I barking up the wrong tree?
2. If I sell both pairs of speakers, what speakers would your recommend for the size of the room, with a price range of $15,000-$20,000 in the used market?

Other pertinent facts.
I NEVER listen to them loud, ever. I respect my neighbours too much to do that to them.
Furniture CANNOT be moved. I live with a wife and she has lots of say. Happy wife, happy life.
Don't recommend other Harbeth's. I don't want to give another cent to Alan Shaw, he is a bit of a . . .

Image4

Image1

Image3

Image2

This is to give you an idea of the size of the speakers. Stereo cabinet not included. I have already given the Rega RP7 away to my brother, though I kept the line stage. Thanks for any suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:22 pm 

Honestly, you could spend a million bucks on a set of speakers but because of the room constraints they're not likely to sound worth a damn. Have you considered headphones?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:57 pm 

Prestige wrote:
Honestly, you could spend a million bucks on a set of speakers but because of the room constraints they're not likely to sound worth a damn. Have you considered headphones?

+1....my thoughts exactly.

A hard pill to swallow, but......

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:20 pm 

I would keep the set that will work the best close to the wall, ( I'm guessing the 30.1s but don't really know ). Maybe a nice ottoman to put your feet up instead of the table , and possibly some sheer fabric window covering for the glass door to your den. Don't see any reason you can't have a nice sounding setup in that space.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 pm 

I would start from this....

Attachments:
Black-4.jpg
Black-4.jpg [ 131.48 KiB | Viewed 1616 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:57 am 

No reason you can't enjoy listening in that space. I'd question the efficacy of having a coffee table or at least one of any size and bulk.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:37 am 

How about Audionote E or J? They are made to be placed near a wall or in a corner. Sounded very good at modest volumes when I heard them. Lots of upgrade and finish options to satisfy the decorating department and provide musical satisfaction!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:48 am 

These moments for music lovers are really tough, but in this situation you are in a prime position to "start again" in a way.

I'd first recommend an active speaker. PMC, Focal, ATC, Genelec, Dynaudio and others make monitors that would be suitable for you since you sit closer to the speakers. The active crossover means the Built-in amps are direct coupled to the transducers. Plug your line stage in you're ready to go.

You can also spend a few bucks on diffusers which will help the room sound bigger than it is. These don't cost much and the performance/$ ratio is very high.

With $15K you can do some serious business here.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:51 am 

Personally I would think the Tetra’s will be too big both physically and acoustically for that room. But only you and your wife will be able to tell. I’d try them first and draw your own conclusion.

There is always going to be a compromise when dealing with difficult rooms such as yours. But one could mitigate some of the acoustic challenges you face with plants, thicker drapes, wall tapestry, plush furniture and pillows or even canvas artwork which if creative enough could be placed over acoustic panels. Ikea has the Vidga line of panel curtains which could be used to separate the dinning room from your living room and can be tucked away when not in use. Or even drawn along that front wall covering the glass door (or both!!).

Personally I would speak with your wife to see how far you can take this before entertaining new equipment/speakers – otherwise you may just end up wasting money chasing a dragon that could never be caught!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:31 am 

IMHO you need to ignore all the suggestions that you will never achieve good sound. It simply isn't true. You say you listen at low volumes which means the room will be less of an issue and it looks like you sit reasonably close to the speakers which also helps. I think what you're doing is the right approach. Keep trying different speakers until you find some that work. You never know, the tetras may be just what you need. For the amount you're willing to spend you can afford to try a few different speakers and take a loss selling them on if they don't work. That's what I did over a few years and it really helped focus in on what works for me. It's also really fun trying out different speakers. If I were you I would look at the new PMC line as well, supposed to be amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:31 am 

I have had some rooms that look bad on paper, that sound very good. I have also had the reverse. You just have to play with it.

The number on thing I would try is turning everything 90 degrees. It looks like you have a very nice listening chair there, and a much better view. The only issue would be the TV, but there are plenty of ways to manage that.

I would also seriously look at digital eq before I change any other equipment. It can work wonders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:57 am 

I don't know if it's an option but have you considered in wall speakers.
There are a few that sound pretty good (Bryston, Joseph).
It's a compromise but perhaps it's one everyone can live with.
As other have suggested perhaps a headphone based system. The choices have never been better.
Whatever you decide, please let us know how it all worked out.
Good luck.
(Edits are because of my atrocious typing).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:33 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

The Tetras will work in your space. Any loudspeaker will work but......a loudspeaker of that 'scale' will overload your space with mid-bass ( 75-110 Hz.) A loudspeaker this large will sound quite thick and muddy close to the rear wall. You will need to come out about 40-42 inches from the front baffle to the rear wall and then it is experimental in small increments. There are loudspeaker systems that work very well in a space like yours. The Harbeth 30.1 works quite well I'm sure as they are bass shy anyway and will never overload the room. Much as you may love the Tetras, I feel they will never perform near their best in the small space and will only serve to frustrate. Sorry but you can't ignore physics.

J.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:36 am 

I would recommend smaller sealed boxes so that close to wall placement is not an issue. I think your LFD should be up to the task of driving inefficient speakers. I apologize in advance for having difficulty maxing out your budget though. I would consider Spendor D1s (an updated BBC design) or ATC 11s or 19s. If you want to spend more on the latter there are active versions. If you really want to fill up that budget Wilson does make a standmount speaker that is designed for close to wall placement (Duette?).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:54 am 

I'm thinking that a small speaker that sounds bigger than it is at a low volume would be the way to go.
The first that comes to mind would be a Totem Sky. Another would be the Monitor Audio Gold 100. Both of these play big at low volume and are easy on the eye ( read high WAF ). The ATC 19 mentioned above would be real interesting as well as I find my 40's don't require much volume to sound really good. Anyways, just another opinion...Good luck in your quest.