Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:39 pm 
Premium User

I haven't owned AP but I know people that have moved to them from Totem and couldn't be happier. One experienced friend said the models are hit and miss so go with something well received. With the great used prices it is getting tempting to pick up a pair.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:59 pm 

kb007 wrote:
The Arros do a very nice job up to a point. Have you ever considered using them with a decent sub?

KB is right on about the Arro's. I owned a pair of Arro's for a brief time and used them with my Harman Kardon 930. With the contour switch in at moderate to higher levels, the Arro's sounded quite good. They need that extra bottom attenuation with a high current twin powered amp like my 930 receiver. I have other speakers I like better than the Arro's but despite being a bit pricey when you compare them to used speakers from the 70's, early to mid 80's, they are still worth checking out. The Arro's are decent speakers in many ways and I would recommend them. I would say maybe the Totem Staff might be an improvement, although marginal.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:54 pm 

^ er, the guy's using a $5000+ amp....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 pm 
Premium User

Che Cavolo wrote:
^ er, the guy's using a $5000+ amp....

Awesome amp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:34 pm 

All great suggestions!!

Yes I adore the XA30.5 and will likely only part with it for a pair of XA100.5 (not anytime soon financially). The Direct Stream Junior is a wonder piece but will eventually get a proper preamp and likely upgrade the DAC. This is way down the line. I'd like to get a set of speakers capable of scaling well as newer/better gear comes.

As it stands now, the Arros are liking. So is my space but that is unlikely to change as I mentioned.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:52 pm 

Whether you end up with floorstanders or bookshelf monitors you should invest in ISO acoustics (Gaia or Aperta) isolation stands to stop transferring sound to your neighbours below and improve the sound in the room. Recoil stabilizers from Primacoustic work as well. I would also recommend mass loading your arros befoRe you sell them. But the keep the weight below 20 lbs. as any more and the imaging will fall apart. A good preamp would change the experience for any speaker. If you still want a change The Totem sky should be high on your list to replace the arros.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:28 pm 
Premium User

msommers wrote:
Yes I adore the XA30.5 and will likely only part with it for a pair of XA100.5 (not anytime soon financially). The Direct Stream Junior is a wonder piece but will eventually get a proper preamp and likely upgrade the DAC.

How is Pass Labs and PS Audio together? I have an X250.5 and Stellar DAC/Preamp on the way. The Stellar will be in use until I get a proper preamp but I have never heard the 2 brands together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:35 pm 

I think the pairing do really well and have read elsewhere online the same. The preamp in the DirectStream seems to be of better quality and doesn't condense the bit rates digitally like using software. On the PS Audio forum, it seems many use the preamp section with success but at what point/dollar introducing an additional preamp starts to benefit I cannot say (though would love to find out). I'd really investigate if there are differences between DirectStream and Stellar preamp sections as I think it may be older technology.

Can't take all the credit as I was looking at buying a XA30.8 from a CAMer who had a full DirectStream and said it was an exceptional pairing. Not familiar with the Stellar myself but the DirectStreams with the latest software are a fantastic piece of kit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:17 am 

Does anyone have experience with Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature Monitors?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:25 am 
Premium User

msommers wrote:
Does anyone have experience with Tyler Acoustic Linbrook Signature Monitors?

They are good speakers. I had the original signature system and spent some time with the monitors alone. The current ad on CAM is the pair I owned and it should be mentioned I sold the system for about $1500 because of the cosmetics. The Pass Labs amp with the monitors might be too neutral and warm so demo if possible. Your existing list is full of excellent speakers.

http://img.canuckaudiomart.com/uploads/ ... /16187.jpg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:12 pm 

What's your budget for new speakers?

I've owned many Totems, and I wouldn't bother with Sttafs if you're looking for any significant improvement. In fact in some ways the Arro out performs the Sttaf imho (having owned both).

If you're drawn to the Totem sound, and the seductive detail and imaging, then you may want to look at some nice used Model 1 Sigs as an option. Enough bass for an appt setting for sure.

What is it bout the Arros that you don't like - or is it simply "time to upgrade"?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 pm 

My budget is around $4-5,000 with some wiggle room as I'd really like to buy something worthwhile upgrading to as opposed to a moderate sidegrade or even very minor improvement. Fortunately am in no hurry and wanting to try as many speakers as I can, even if they're beyond my budget right now (even if that means sitting tight and saving more). If there is anything I've learned from playing with headphones for awhile is that trying to incrementally improve things in the long run is an even more expensive and tedious task.

What I don't like about the Arros is resolution/detail and something just doesn't sit quite right in the midrange. I know this because listening to my headphones and then listening to the Arros, some stuff is missing. It's not my dac as I've tried it with my headphones and I highly doubt it is my Pass amp.

The Arros imagine incredibly well so I don't think I could go back on that attribute after having it for awhile now. And for their size they do bass pretty well! I really don't think I need more and again bass transmission is a major concern anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:22 pm 

There's a pair of Joseph Audio Profiles for sale on CAM that would sound great with that amp. Fantastic speakers excelling at all the qualities you've indicated you want. Should at least check them out:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -speakers/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:13 pm 

Good info. In that range you can get some interesting results. Does your $5K top end include any trade you'd get on yout Arros?

Are you havily biased towards stand mount or floor standers?

-- 23 Aug 2017 18:22 --

A quick search on cam shows some really noce options. I'm heavily biased, but there are a couple of pairs of Focal Diva Utopias, hich will give you a major improvement in imaging and overall sound quality, with options as to how to manage bass response.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:33 pm 

I'm honestly indifferent about monitor or floorstander, I just need to be cognizant of bass transmission to the neighbours below (which seems to favour monitor if I understand correctly?).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next