Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:36 pm 

Audio Nation is the distributor - there are several dealers. If you are in Ontario I would recommend Nick at Noteworthy Audio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:45 pm 

Another thank you for msommers, thanks for compiling your impressions. I've been trying to get info on the Sky Tower. Another one on my radar is the Ascend Acoustic Towers out of California. They're like Salk in that they use the Raal ribbon tweeters in some of their models, but I think are typically less expensive.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:16 am 

Those focal's are nice. That's a great group of speakers to hear a good cross section of what's out there. I have only read about some of what you mention and heard a few pairs

Last edited by Musicware4u on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:12 pm 

I've been thinking more about what to do since I've been away for work just researching and not listening sadly.

Some internet direct options are intruiging but also a bit scary given how nothing I heard in person I fell in love with, most were good but not great. Options online I'm looking at for example:

Salk Sound Song3 or Supercharged SongTower
Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature built as a floorstander which uses top of the line SEAS woofer and tweeter. Loving the options available with Ty.
PranaFidelity Bhava (uses SB Acoustic drivers). Not much out there but owners I've spoke to and others that heard them at shows were floored.
Reference 3A Episode (the BE on a decapo was very airy and lovely texture but a touch too much sizzle sometimes which is concerning)

I also keep coming back to ATC, it was memorable I just wish a bit more forward and more impact. I also have to wonder if, like Totems, they need volume to sound best and low level listening isn't great.

Has anyone heard a passive vs active scm19 or 40? I just don't know if my amp was giving them enough juice as an owner messaged me surprised about their lack of impact.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 pm 
Premium User

If you go with Tyler Acoustics get something current. I used to own the Linbrook Signature System speakers. The sound I am getting from my custom D1X's (Decade X Pro) is far ahead of the older models with expensive drivers I've heard all the way up to the original Decade series. He must be on to something now. If you have the scratch I'd be looking at any of the Highland series. Decade X Pro owners are making the move so they must be really good.

It's taken me days to warm up to every single ATC entry series model so judging them from a store demo is a bad idea. Spend a few days with one and share impression. The distributor told me the active models are significantly better.

Get the Salks and report back :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:57 pm 

Perhaps I will have to consult again with the dealer/distributor about ATCs - active certainly is intriguing and could free up some money from cables and two amps (pre and power).

Interesting comments regarding Tyler Acoustics. We had talked about the Highland H4 or 3.5 and the Linbrook and it basically came down to Seas vs. Scanspeak but the BE tweeter really shys me away from the Highland series though.

How would you rate your D1X speakers to the Tektons? I think you've had SCM40's in the past too eh?

The current Linbrooks built as floorstanders basically seem like Joseph Audio Perspectives which get really good reviews. Ty just seems like a really great guy to deal with, it's just such a contrast compared to the Tekton horror stories I read about lol.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:04 pm 

You might consider a smaller magnepan like the .7.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 pm 
Premium User

msommers wrote:
How would you rate your D1X speakers to the Tektons? I think you've had SCM40's in the past too eh?.

D1X'S have a more tight and articulate bass compared to Double Impacts. At no point is it boomy or overwhelming. Imaging is probably the greatest strength and they completely disappear. Double Impacts have something really special with the combination of 10 inch woofers plus the MTM array. I would be weary of smaller models that don't provide the combo of dynamics + mid range speed. The D1X are more refined which is one thing the Tektons were lacking. They sound like a 20k speaker for around 11k after fees and upgrades.

Dealing with Tyler has been a pleasure and he was quick to respond and work with me. Dealing with Erik was literally the worst. The Linbrook model you are talking about sounds interesting. I'm very happy with the SEAS Millenium tweeter.

SCM40's could very well be the last speaker you own if they are your cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:39 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

Check out the Harbeth C7. They're the second most affordable in the range but have substantial deep bass and just an incredible midrange. You'll be hard pressed to find a better midrange under $50k.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:20 pm 

So I should update, if only briefly. After trying to work with dealers and such, it became quite exhausting and honestly disheartening. My younger age doesn't instill confidence in dealers either which is frustrating. Everyone wants the guy with a big wallet just to buy something and not take their time, like buying a car.

So I did what I honestly thought I'd never do: read heaps of impressions and reviews and ordered a pair of internet direct speakers. It was down to two, the Pranafidelity Bhava and Tyler Acoustic Linbrook built as a floorstander. I was actually going to buy both but a financial hiccup came up and I'd already bought the Linbrooks.

We're in the process of building, with a beautiful Tineo veneer, and I have a bunch of crossover parts I'm sending down to upgrade and tailor things. It's the biggest audio risk I've taken but ironically has been less stressful than dealing with dealers. Will update once they arrive and everything is broken in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:38 am 

A cool approach to go internet direct. I have had a lot of success with that model off Audiocircle in the US.

Tyler’s speakers have a great rep.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:47 am 

Brave of you ordering speakers direct... not only unheard but unseen, as cabinetry and finishing are difficult to judge by pictures alone.
And I thought I was going out on a limb by factory ordering Temple Audio amplifiers and Teddy Pardo power supplies...
These being 90db sensitive should pair well with your Pass amp, and hopefully sound great at low listening levels.
Interesting you selected a speaker design with a D'Appolito array. I have lived with such a design for 23 years now.
Too bad about the less than pleasing dealer experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:35 am 

The coolest thing about it is that the OP didn't buy any of the speakers he auditioned.

mcgsxr wrote:
A cool approach to go internet direct.

It would have been taking terrible advantage of a very accommodating dealer, if he had auditioned in the store and then purchased his favourite online. Glad he didn't do that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:45 am 

Hi,

Note to msommers: You are the guys who have to carry home audio into the future and it is a bit sad to hear that retail sales guys are not taking your generation very seriously as long-term customers. Old-timers on CAM can tell you stories long into the night about our negative experiences with retail shops, so we do feel for you regarding their sales routines. There was about a twenty year period where I wouldn't step into a hi-fi shop.

If you get that urge to go into one again and you are ever in the TO area, you might head up to Aurora to visit Audio Eden. They usually have a large collection of better gear and will leave you alone to tinker.

It takes a lot of guts to order speakers unheard, particularly when your detailed descriptions of that lot you auditioned was so vivid. My reading of those comments was that you were leaning towards the ATC SCM40 which has many fans on CAM and elsewhere.

That said, and realizing that the ATC's are true monitor designs, you might, very long term, put two other sets of stand mount speakers on your 'I really should listen to these some time' list.

1) The Spendor Classic S2/3.

2) The J.M. Reynaud Bliss Silvers.

Number two are the subject of a long recent thread found here.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46006

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:51 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

msommers wrote:
So I should update, if only briefly. After trying to work with dealers and such, it became quite exhausting and honestly disheartening. My younger age doesn't instill confidence in dealers either which is frustrating. Everyone wants the guy with a big wallet just to buy something and not take their time, like buying a car.

It's too bad we missed ya! We are not too terribly far away. Sorry to hear of your frustrations. Good luck with your new speakers!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next