Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:40 pm 

I really want to hear these but cross-border shopping can be such a hassle, and expensive given the weight and size.

And as much as I enjoy the sound first, I do enjoy looking at them and I still can't quite get over yet how damn ugly the tweeter array makes them look. Google tells me that actually getting the grills can be a whole other adventure.

Please someone in Alberta buy these already :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm 

There's a good chance mine will be up on cam depending on how good they are as they have a pretty high bar to clear to become a permenant part of the collection. I'm just trying them out as I'm interested and rolling the dice that the hype is true. So keep your eyes posted in a couple of months for a discounted pair.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:20 pm 
Premium User

malthuse wrote:
I'm just trying them out as I'm interested and rolling the dice that the hype is true.

If you were buying to see what the hype was about you should have ordered Double Impacts. I'm not aware of any hype around Impact Monitors. I have serious doubts about them considering it's the top to bottom presentation that makes Double Impacts such a good value. Every guest in my listening room has been won over by the dynamics more than anything else. The absence of 2 x 10 inch woofers per speaker tuned to transition perfectly with the mids is a big difference. The speed alone would probably require an Omega sub or similar to try and match up properly.

Having said that I've haven't heard them so you never know. At least they are almost half the price of Double Impacts so it's not a huge gamble. Hopefully they won't be missing half the sound.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:24 pm 

Yes, but the monitors have the top half which is where the majority of the frequency spectrum is coming from. The low frequency range of these is essentially the same has the Harbeth SHL5 plus so it's still pretty good.

The hype isn't just about the dynamics. I've heard several mentions about super fast mids that are ESl like and a very sweet sound that I find hard to believe would be in the DI but not in the monitor. Eric also told me that for classical the monitor makes more sense. I have a small listening room as well, didn't want a pair of giant, monolithic, six eyed monsters staring at me while I listened.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:18 pm 
Premium User

Hopefully they work out. I'm glad someone else on CAM is taking the risk. You're getting the trypophobia inducing eyes regardless.

It would require listening to a pair of DI's and not reading online to know what I am saying about the importance of their dynamics with overall presentation. Hoffman's Iron Law is probably going to apply in this scenario.

Don't get me wrong dynamics are only half of what makes them good. I've been tempted to buy a pair of Monitors or Electrons just to do a comparison. They certainly share a sense of speed like panels with a bit more meat on the bone.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:54 pm 
Premium User

Keeping with the internet direct trend I just ordered upgraded Tyler Acoustics DX1's. It should be interesting to compare the two big speakers. The Salk Song 3 Encore look very interesting as well.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 pm 

Been following this thread with great interest. Getting kinda board the usual “box sound” typical speakers offer. Can’t go planars out of fear the little furry 4 legged master would take ownership and claim them as a her new scratching post. So speakers such as the Tekton and Zu have somewhat sparked my interest.

Which Tyler Acoustics did you get? The Decade X SE and Decade X Pro have similar model names.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:13 pm 

That's awesome James. Pumped for you!

Turntable: Rega RP1 w/ Rega Fono Mini A2D
CD Player: NAD 517
Speakers: Coming soon...Audio Note Kit 03

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm 
Premium User

The Double Impacts are a great break from the usual box speakers, quite refreshing actually. They are very kitty friendly, not once did my cat try to scale their heights

I got the Decade X pro with some upgrades. The DI's got me to the point where I can't be without big dynamics.

Looking forward to your feedback on the DI's paired with the Line Magnetic 508 Jon!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:28 pm 

Impressive! But you’ll have to start another Tyler Acoustics thread so it is not to be confused with this one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:43 pm 

James_W wrote:
The Double Impacts are a great break from the usual box speakers, quite refreshing actually. They are very kitty friendly, not once did my cat try to scale their heights

I got the Decade X pro with some upgrades. The DI's got me to the point where I can't be without big dynamics.

Looking forward to your feedback on the DI's paired with the Line Magnetic 508 Jon!

Cannot wait. But whatever day you're receiving your Tylers, I'm busy. Those things are heavy! :lol:

Turntable: Rega RP1 w/ Rega Fono Mini A2D
CD Player: NAD 517
Speakers: Coming soon...Audio Note Kit 03

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:08 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
Been following this thread with great interest. Getting kinda board the usual “box sound” typical speakers offer. Can’t go planars out of fear the little furry 4 legged master would take ownership and claim them as a her new scratching post. So speakers such as the Tekton and Zu have somewhat sparked my interest.

Which Tyler Acoustics did you get? The Decade X SE and Decade X Pro have similar model names.

Hmm, that's the best argument yet that I've heard to be interested in the Tektons. I"m getting kind of bored with the usual box sound myself.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:03 am 

James,

I'm very interested how your review of Tyler Acoustics speakers will pan out. I've been looking at the Tyler's for many years and curious about their free shipping to Canada. I saw a review back in 2010 https://positive-feedback.com/Issue49/tyler.htm. Then Tekton came around and everyone has been talking about them ever since that review by Andrew Robinson, where he sold his reference B&W 802 speakers and replaced them with the Tekton Pendragons. https://hometheaterreview.com/tekton-design-pendragon-floorstanding-loudspeaker-reviewed/

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:12 pm 

Well, here they are. I set them up in my main listening area, small room, 9' listening distance. Immediately you can see what the hype is about. They are very good speakers.

I moved them upstairs
Attachment:
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG [ 297.13 KiB | Viewed 303 times ]

A vaulted and bigger room which is where my second stereo is. This where they'll stay. So far I'm very impressed. Some songs sound slightly dull compared to my primary system. So far classical voice, strings, choral compares very well to my favourite dynamic speakers. They have an excellent soundstage for dynamic speakers, very good detail, the bass is decent given the size, maybe a little bloated. I'll give it a few more days and report back on how they sound then

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:27 pm 
Premium User

I wonder why he dropped the ring radiators and went with cheaper dome tweeters in the Electron and Monitor. It still says triple-ring radiator high frequency array on the site description but they are more than likely SB26STCN-C000-4.

Can you confirm the tweeter model if possible?

Last edited by James_W on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next