Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:15 pm 

Yeah, I've noticed some of that on the local Totem threads as well.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:21 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
ruecatinat wrote:
James_W wrote:

I've often wondered if that isn't at least partially due to continually trying to convince themselves that they've made the best choice ?. Also noticed lately that certain individual's go out of their way to find flaws or rain on the parade of anybody that bought anything that isn't their pet product.

Psychologically that is a form of coping mechanism...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:29 pm 

James_W wrote:
My biggest pet peeve on the net regarding this hobby is people having opinions on gear they haven't heard. The worst part is When you do some digging most of the loudest voices have the least experience.

Well, this is the internet after all, people are going to have opinions, and one can disregard as one pleases. Your experience is probably from the one percenter category in that you've tried more $5000+ speakers than you can remember. Most people window shop only for components costing $2000+, and develop opinions based on whatever. And the 99% category is going to overwhelm with their opinions I guess. I suppose it might get tedious.

My biggest pet peeve is the cult like behaviour. When I owned several Emotiva pieces, I was a regular on their forum. They actually paid people to act as sales staff on their forum, without identifying themselves. But the worst was the ranters who would shout down anything aside from Emotiva praise posts.

That gets tedious too.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:25 pm 

msommers wrote:
Tekton is on my radar and I fired him an email asking about products and what would be good for my system and space. Its been over a week with no reply. Other internet direct places have gotten back to me in a few hours or at most, a whole day. This is already a sour start and in my eyes a major problem because if the guy won't even answer emails when you want to buy something, how are things going to go if something faulty happens?

Try calling. I talked to a Eric yesterday about his recommendations. Nice guy.

-- 16 Sep 2017 03:28 --

If anyone is interested I bought a pair of Impact monitors. I'll post my thoughts once I've had a some listening time.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:22 pm 
Premium User

Looking forward to feedback on the Impact Monitor. Bass is the best part of the DI's and I'd like to hear if they are a success with more focus in the mids. They might image like crazy with the right amp.

The Electron's look very tempting. I wonder if they deliver in the bass department? If anyone gets a pair please report back!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:18 am 
Premium User

malthuse wrote:
If anyone is interested I bought a pair of Impact monitors. I'll post my thoughts once I've had a some listening time.

I would love to hear your impressions on them!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:40 am 

malthuse wrote:
msommers wrote:
Tekton is on my radar and I fired him an email asking about products and what would be good for my system and space. Its been over a week with no reply. Other internet direct places have gotten back to me in a few hours or at most, a whole day. This is already a sour start and in my eyes a major problem because if the guy won't even answer emails when you want to buy something, how are things going to go if something faulty happens?

Try calling. I talked to a Eric yesterday about his recommendations. Nice guy.

-- 16 Sep 2017 03:28 --

This seems to be the only way to get a response.
When I tried to e mail, his secretary e mailed me back and said he rarely answers e mails because he is too busy, it's better to phone him.
I got a hold of Eric right away when I phoned.
Personally, I think it's ridiculous, but that seems to be the only way of getting a hold of him. I guess he can't answer e mails because he is always on the phone.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:28 pm 

I completely understand and commiserate with Eric. If when you check your emails you have 200+ and 50 orders to process with more coming then email drops off the planet. A phone call is easy to take. That's kind of what I like about Tekton. They aren't some giant company. It's just a couple of dudes and dudettes making gear that is raising eyebrows.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:16 pm 

malthuse wrote:
I completely understand and commiserate with Eric. If when you check your emails you have 200+ and 50 orders to process with more coming then email drops off the planet. A phone call is easy to take. That's kind of what I like about Tekton. They aren't some giant company. It's just a couple of dudes and dudettes making gear that is raising eyebrows.

Not answering e mails is not the way to run a business, particularly when you sell direct, makes no sense at all.
Having said that, I have no idea how he runs his business, how many people work for him, what his sales are, what his goals are
Maybe he is a Dude that had things explode and doesn't know how to deal with it.
To your point, if it's that simplistic, Eric should remove his web presence and just make speakers for his buddies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:07 pm 

I would prefer to pay for ingenious speaker designs than excellent customer service and some fawning sales guy. Give the guy a break, he's just trying to make a go of it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:24 pm 

malthuse wrote:
I would prefer to pay for ingenious speaker designs than excellent customer service and some fawning sales guy. Give the guy a break, he's just trying to make a go of it.

He's just trying to make a go of it, so one should ignore the total lack of email based customer service from an internet direct retailer? I think many would disagree with you on this.(And have you seen their web site? Way over the top marketing hype that just begs for responses from the public) If one has an internet site to sell product, then one better be aware that emails will happen. And he simply can't sit there and take phone calls all day and night. Either hire more staff or lose business and reputation. It's pretty simple, really.

What he wants to do is take your money without having to do customer service, thereby increasing profits. But the internet standard has been set by the Oppos, Schiit Audios, etc. of the world. Either meet the standard that internet shoppers are accustomed to or face the backlash.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:18 am 

He's a speaker designer, clearly web design and customer service alludes him. When I spoke to him he said his speakers were "a little slice of heaven". This made me instantly not want to buy them and it took some effort to get around that, so I would add that marketing is not his forte either. We all have a choice however. If you don't like the shpeel and the website infuriates then vote with your wallet and buy something else...there are lots of choices out there.

I for one love the idea of a guy tinkering with designs and coming up with an amazing product that has taken off through reputation and word of mouth. A thousand marketing gurus and sales guys can't replace that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:06 am 

malthuse wrote:
He's a speaker designer, clearly web design and customer service alludes him. When I spoke to him he said his speakers were "a little slice of heaven". This made me instantly not want to buy them and it took some effort to get around that, so I would add that marketing is not his forte either. We all have a choice however. If you don't like the shpeel and the website infuriates then vote with your wallet and buy something else...there are lots of choices out there.

I for one love the idea of a guy tinkering with designs and coming up with an amazing product that has taken off through reputation and word of mouth. A thousand marketing gurus and sales guys can't replace that.

malthuse,

I'm loving your enthusiasm, but I need to read your comments on this thread with rose coloured glasses.
If you go through the thread, Eric's lack of communication has already lost him a couple of customers.
It's like he's pulling an opposite man/soup nazi hybrid business philosophy.
I'm not trying to bust your balls, it is a matter of opinion, and on this one we simply see it two very different ways.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:10 am 

....but remember, the soup nazi had line ups around the block and people still bought his soup because it was the best in New York.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:06 pm 

lol, very true

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next