Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:54 pm 

That's a good point. I'm not sure how without taking it off. I've contacted Tekton for a response.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:48 pm 

malthuse wrote:
Well, here they are. I set them up in my main listening area, small room, 9' listening distance. Immediately you can see what the hype is about. They are very good speakers.

I moved them upstairs
Attachment:
IMG_0388.JPG

A vaulted and bigger room which is where my second stereo is. This where they'll stay. So far I'm very impressed. Some songs sound slightly dull compared to my primary system. So far classical voice, strings, choral compares very well to my favourite dynamic speakers. They have an excellent soundstage for dynamic speakers, very good detail, the bass is decent given the size, maybe a little bloated. I'll give it a few more days and report back on how they sound then

Very cool! What are you powering them with?

Turntable: Rega RP1 w/ Rega Fono Mini A2D
CD Player: NAD 517
Speakers: Coming soon...Audio Note Kit 03

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 pm 

So far I've tried my McCormack DNA 225 and 500. Massively overkill but they do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:35 am 

malthuse wrote:
So far I've tried my McCormack DNA 225 and 500. Massively overkill but they do the job.

Beauty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:31 am 

malthuse wrote:
Well, here they are. I set them up in my main listening area, small room, 9' listening distance. Immediately you can see what the hype is about. They are very good speakers.

I moved them upstairs
Attachment:
IMG_0388.JPG

A vaulted and bigger room which is where my second stereo is. This where they'll stay. So far I'm very impressed. Some songs sound slightly dull compared to my primary system. So far classical voice, strings, choral compares very well to my favourite dynamic speakers. They have an excellent soundstage for dynamic speakers, very good detail, the bass is decent given the size, maybe a little bloated. I'll give it a few more days and report back on how they sound then

Are they as good looking as your favourite dynamic speakers? The looks really kill it for me. If a manufacturer can't be bothered to put a little more energy and effort into that part of the presentation, they're going to lose sales, IMO.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:19 am 

They do look a bit unconventional with that tweeter array. I actually don’t mind the look.

malthuse – are grills optional? Your picture shows mounts for grills but online they are missing.

Attachments:
latest.png
latest.png [ 426.85 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:10 pm 

runnin wrote:
malthuse wrote:

I moved them upstairs
Attachment:
The attachment IMG_0388.JPG is no longer available

Are they as good looking as your favourite dynamic speakers? The looks really kill it for me. If a manufacturer can't be bothered to put a little more energy and effort into that part of the presentation, they're going to lose sales, IMO.

Then the price goes up. Simple cabinet, cheaper price. Have you heard them yet?

-- 07 Oct 2017 16:11 --

sthomas1049 wrote:
They do look a bit unconventional with that tweeter array. I actually don’t mind the look.

malthuse – are grills optional? Your picture shows mounts for grills but online they are missing.

Monsters Inc. Best pic I've seen yet relating to the looks. :lol: I like the looks, the wife...not so much!

Attachments:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 351.56 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]

Last edited by 347strokin on Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:30 pm 

malthuse wrote:
That's a good point. I'm not sure how without taking it off. I've contacted Tekton for a response.

Did you ever get a response?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:47 pm 
Premium User

(this is partially from a PM I responded to but should be in the thread as well)

I assume it is the SB Acoustics ring radiator tweeter (without the neodymium magnet) in the standard DI's and the SB Acoustics dome tweeter in the Electrons and Monitors.

My concern is Tekton will probably say it is better performance with the lower cost tweeter but it's not always easy to believe statements like that from a manufacturer. One positive is that it looks like the dome tweeter in the Monitor is more than likely the same one he is using in the $6500 Double Impact Special Edition (attached pic borrowed from Agon)

That brings up the next question, why is he using the SB Acoustics ring radiator in the flagship Ulfberht? if he had a breakthrough with the dome tweeter does that mean the people that bought Ulfs already have dated tech?

I'm genuinely interested in the Impact Monitor as a speaker in my "stable" but I assumed by pics they would be coming with Scanspeak Discovery tweeters (upon further inspection it looks like a peerless ring radiator)

Hopefully they sound better than Tekton anticipated using the dome tweeter and this confusion is actually a good thing.

Attachments:
IMG_1384.jpg
IMG_1384.jpg [ 204.32 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:38 pm 

You can either order the speakers without the holes, or order with and order the grills whenever you want. The grills are longer lead time than the speaker so far that's what a I opted for.

I talked to Eric. He said that the new dome tweeter is more expensive and better than the ring radiator. I asked if he's rolling it out to the double impact then and he said no, but just because it hadn't occurred to him....

On the looks, they definitely have a presence. In black theyre downright ominous. Even the monitors are pretty big so plan on that if you're looking to buy a pair.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:57 pm 
Premium User

So that means it's not the cheaper SB26STCN-C000-4 tweeter like someone got in the Electrons (approximately $250 less for 14 of them retail.) If you get a chance to pull one out in the future please report back on the model. Thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:09 pm 

No can do, they've gone back. Frankly, even if the tweeters are better IMO if I buy a pair of speakers I should receive what I ordered. End of.

I can't think this is good for his company. It's confusing, you don't know what you're getting when you order. I have no basis of comparison to know whether the new tweeters are an improvement or not.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:51 pm 
Premium User

It's pretty surprising any company would send out a loudspeaker with different drive units, especially 14 of them. All of this stuff should be figured out on the website before shipping the product out considering it's internet direct.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:07 am 

We don’t know what kind of relationship Tekton has with it’s suppliers. It is quite possible given Tektons small(ish) company that limitations were set on the amount of products they are allowed to purchase. I have seen this before within other industries. They could have run out of Ring Radiators or have reserved the remaining stock for repairs and or other models.

Non the less, it is a dodgy move and Tekton should of at least informed you of the change prior to shipping. Not good! Don’t fault you one bit for sending them back.

malthuse – what’s the costs involved with sending them back? Is it worth putting them up for sale?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:22 am 

I sent them already. It cost $236. All in the excercise cost me $300.

The problem is I would have to be completely upfront about the speakers and it would be hard to sell a pair that is different from the website.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next