Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/

Dynaudio
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47006
Page 1 of 5

Author:  alberg47 [ Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Dynaudio

looking for some advise and or souding comments on Dynaudio focus 260 !! or any other Dynaudio speakers ,

thks

Author:  banerjba [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

260 is a fairly expensive speaker so tough to comment generally with some context of how they will be used.

Dynaudio makes excellent neutral sounding speakers that are well engineered. I believe BBC now uses Dynaudio instead of their own older designs.

They are not as intrinsically engaging as designs from say Harbeth or Proac but very good designs - I have heard right up the line and never heard a dud.

I would put them in the same boat as B&W and Focal in that they produce a full line, on a large scale, build their own drivers with overall excellent build quality.

I really like their Excite bookshelf designs and plan to add a pair to my living room system a some point.

Author:  Yippedidou [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:31 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

One thing you want to keep in mind is with the Focus, the Contour and Confidence line, the more power you give them, the best they sound. I have the C1 and a friend of mine has the Focus 160. Between the two of us, we tried many Dyns in those 3 lines and it is our no 1 conclusion. Unfortunately, I dont know about the Excite or the other lines as I havent try them. For me, its Dynaudio till the end. I really found my sound with them

Author:  kawihornet [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:59 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

Depends on your taste. If you like clear rich midrange then you would love Dynaudio. I'm not sure that B&W and Focal comparisons are fair IMO. They have a very very neutral almost dry sound compared to Dynaudio. Not Bad speakers just have a much different sound. Dynaudio is famously known for vocals and imaging. If your taste is really sharp highs or really deep low bass then I would suggest checking out some other brands...
I've owned up and down the lineup and currently run Contour 1.3SE Which so far are my favorites however I have asked my dealer to try and bring in a pair of the new special 40's.
The Excite line is really nice for the money however the Focus line is a nice jump better tho. Keep in mind tho that the Focus line is no longer so I'm not sure how that will work for support down the road? As some others have mentioned Dyn's are power hungry - that's very true.

Author:  Yippedidou [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

kawihornet wrote:
I'm not sure that B&W and Focal comparisons are fair IMO. They have a very very neutral almost dry sound compared to Dynaudio. Not Bad speakers just have a much different sound. Dynaudio is famously known for vocals and imaging. If your taste is really sharp highs or really deep low bass then I would suggest checking out some other brands...


Agreed with the Focal comparison. Not the same type of sound. Dunno for BW. Never tried. I would say Totem is close to Dynaudio philosophy. They used the Dyn drivers for a long time, not sure if its still the case. I stopped looking for speakers when I settle with the C1's.
Also agreed with the imaging and vocals. Crazy.
Deep low bass... depends what you mean... try a Confidence line Dyns with the right electronics and proper room set up and call me back. Bass depends on so many variable that its tough to say. Its mostly room and taste dependant ( and electronics and music style, etc etc). But I agree with what you say if you're talking about the Focus line.
I too will try the Special 40 although I suspect they wont be near the Special 25.

Author:  kawihornet [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

Yippedidou wrote:
kawihornet wrote:
I'm not sure that B&W and Focal comparisons are fair IMO. They have a very very neutral almost dry sound compared to Dynaudio. Not Bad speakers just have a much different sound. Dynaudio is famously known for vocals and imaging. If your taste is really sharp highs or really deep low bass then I would suggest checking out some other brands...


Agreed with the Focal comparison. Not the same type of sound. Dunno for BW. Never tried. I would say Totem is close to Dynaudio philosophy. They used the Dyn drivers for a long time, not sure if its still the case. I stopped looking for speakers when I settle with the C1's.
Also agreed with the imaging and vocals. Crazy.
Deep low bass... depends what you mean... try a Confidence line Dyns with the right electronics and proper room set up and call me back. Bass depends on so many variable that its tough to say. Its mostly room and taste dependant ( and electronics and music style, etc etc). But I agree with what you say if you're talking about the Focus line.
I too will try the Special 40 although I suspect they wont be near the Special 25.


Ya call me crazy...I was fortunate enough to be able to do side by side comparison between a pair of C1's and the Contour 1.3SE.
I found the bass response and imaging was slightly better with the Contours however the C1's did fair better in the top end. Slightly more detailed. It was a very close test. Now this was not the C1 Platinum edition so the comparison might have gone differently. In Terms of bottom end. Dyns have never been known for amazing bottom end. Good Bottom end? Yes... Not amazing tho... If you don't believe me maybe these guys will convince you lol... https://youtu.be/YkfTSYiRpSs

Author:  Yippedidou [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:27 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

kawihornet wrote:
Yippedidou wrote:
kawihornet wrote:
I'm not sure that B&W and Focal comparisons are fair IMO. They have a very very neutral almost dry sound compared to Dynaudio. Not Bad speakers just have a much different sound. Dynaudio is famously known for vocals and imaging. If your taste is really sharp highs or really deep low bass then I would suggest checking out some other brands...


Agreed with the Focal comparison. Not the same type of sound. Dunno for BW. Never tried. I would say Totem is close to Dynaudio philosophy. They used the Dyn drivers for a long time, not sure if its still the case. I stopped looking for speakers when I settle with the C1's.
Also agreed with the imaging and vocals. Crazy.
Deep low bass... depends what you mean... try a Confidence line Dyns with the right electronics and proper room set up and call me back. Bass depends on so many variable that its tough to say. Its mostly room and taste dependant ( and electronics and music style, etc etc). But I agree with what you say if you're talking about the Focus line.
I too will try the Special 40 although I suspect they wont be near the Special 25.


Ya call me crazy...I was fortunate enough to be able to do side by side comparison between a pair of C1's and the Contour 1.3SE.
I found the bass response and imaging was slightly better with the Contours however the C1's did fair better in the top end. Slightly more detailed. It was a very close test. Now this was not the C1 Platinum edition so the comparison might have gone differently. In Terms of bottom end. Dyns have never been known for amazing bottom end. Good Bottom end? Yes... Not amazing tho... If you don't believe me maybe these guys will convince you lol... https://youtu.be/YkfTSYiRpSs


I dont need to be convinced, i believe what I hear. The simple fact that you prefered the 1.3se over the C1's tells me we certainly have different perception of bass and imaging. Mine not being better than yours. There are many variable playing with bass: room set up and electronic fit are two important ones. Also I listen to a lot of jazz and the bass set up is specific to that style. So nope, I dont think the bass rendition is shy in my set up.

But hey, who cares really. The OP wants to have some insights on Dynaudio. OP, since you live close from me, I invite you at my home if you want to listen to C1s. Just pm me.

Author:  kawihornet [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

Ya call me crazy...I was fortunate enough to be able to do side by side comparison between a pair of C1's and the Contour 1.3SE.
I found the bass response and imaging was slightly better with the Contours however the C1's did fair better in the top end. Slightly more detailed. It was a very close test. Now this was not the C1 Platinum edition so the comparison might have gone differently. In Terms of bottom end. Dyns have never been known for amazing bottom end. Good Bottom end? Yes... Not amazing tho... If you don't believe me maybe these guys will convince you lol... https://youtu.be/YkfTSYiRpSs[/quote]

I dont need to be convinced, i believe what I hear. The simple fact that you prefered the 1.3se over the C1's tells me we have different perception of bass. Mine not being better than yours.[/quote]

What if you goto your doctor and find out your half deaf? :-P just kidding... C1's are very nice speakers!

Author:  KJT1 [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:39 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

At which one of their lines do the Dynaudios start to get really interesting assuming one has the appropriate gear to drive them?.

Author:  kawihornet [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

KJT1 wrote:
At which one of their lines do the Dynaudios start to get really interesting assuming one has the appropriate gear to drive them?.


I would say the Excite line. I've haven't been impressed by the DM or Emit line - Tho that line wins awards all the time for some reason lol... maybe im half deaf :shock:

Author:  James_W [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

KJT1 wrote:
At which one of their lines do the Dynaudios start to get really interesting assuming one has the appropriate gear to drive them?.


For you I'd say Contour and Confidence. They start to get really satisfying at the C2. The 3 way floorstanding models in the lower lines are a good value as well. I'm hoping the Special Forty is going to be worth purchasing.

Author:  KJT1 [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
At which one of their lines do the Dynaudios start to get really interesting assuming one has the appropriate gear to drive them?.


For you I'd say Contour and Confidence. They start to get really satisfying at the C2. The 3 way floorstanding models in the lower lines are a good value as well. I'm hoping the Special Forty is going to be worth purchasing.

Given how much I like my SCM 40's which one would be the next natural step?.

Author:  kawihornet [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
At which one of their lines do the Dynaudios start to get really interesting assuming one has the appropriate gear to drive them?.


For you I'd say Contour and Confidence. They start to get really satisfying at the C2. The 3 way floorstanding models in the lower lines are a good value as well. I'm hoping the Special Forty is going to be worth purchasing.



Special 40 looks special! Hopefully it sounds that way too!

Author:  Yippedidou [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:18 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
At which one of their lines do the Dynaudios start to get really interesting assuming one has the appropriate gear to drive them?.


For you I'd say Contour and Confidence. They start to get really satisfying at the C2. The 3 way floorstanding models in the lower lines are a good value as well. I'm hoping the Special Forty is going to be worth purchasing.

Unfortunately, my room isnt big enough for C2's because I would be there for sure. My Special 40 pair is reserved. Should be in end of July. Will report...

Author:  KJT1 [ Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dynaudio

Yippedidou wrote:
James_W wrote:
KJT1 wrote:
At which one of their lines do the Dynaudios start to get really interesting assuming one has the appropriate gear to drive them?.


For you I'd say Contour and Confidence. They start to get really satisfying at the C2. The 3 way floorstanding models in the lower lines are a good value as well. I'm hoping the Special Forty is going to be worth purchasing.

Unfortunately, my room isnt big enough for C2's because I would be there for sure. My Special 40 pair is reserved. Should be in end of July. Will report...

Just noticed that the store where I bought my ATC's is also a Dynaudio dealer and they appear to have the C1's and Contour 20's in stock. I see another long drive in my future. :D

Page 1 of 5 All times are UTC - 8 hours
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
https://www.phpbb.com/