Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Dynaudio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:05 am 

banerjba wrote:
I must admit I did not love those Iotas at TAVES, especially the treble, but perhaps it was because I loved those Audiovectors a few doors down so much. Not really a fair comparison based on price though.

Babi, I would not be too quick to dismiss the Iota Alpha. I also felt they sounded underwhelming at TAVES, but still better than the new larger Discovery model. When I heard them set up properly at Alternative Audio they were outstanding in every regard, especially the top end. The potential is definitely there with proper component matching and placement. I am not sure if Alternative still has them set up or not, haven't been there for more than a year, but it would be worth a phone call and the trip if they are. Alternative is not that far from you.

Just a general caution to everyone to never make a final judgement on any product you hear at an audio show. Any audio show. My rule of thumb is if it sounds good at a show and in that environment then chances are it should be relatively easy to match or surpass that performance in a normal living space, but if a product does not sound good in a show setting be sure to give that product it's proper due in a proper setting at a later date before passing judgement or dismissing at as a candidate for purchase. I cannot remember ever being more impressed by a speaker of that size and that price range.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:04 pm 

Thanks Ron. However, this is the second time I auditioned a newer Neat model and was less than impressed with the treble even though the mids and bass are very good. The earlier series from a couple of years ago seemed just as engaging without being as obvious on top. I am a bit sensitive to brightness so it could be just me. I think everyone else loved what they heard at the show from these speakers.

I was looking at Neat Momentum series earlier this year but decided on Dynaudio and KEF instead (changed speakers on both systems).

If you are looking at Neat, also check out Proac or Kudos. Still two of the most under rated brands out there that consistently deliver natural midrange but with a more engaging presentation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:19 pm 
Premium User

banerjba wrote:
The earlier series from a couple of years ago seemed just as engaging without being as obvious on top.

Very unusual. I previously owned the Momentum 3i and now the SX3i. The biggest difference is the treble has really toned down from when they were using Focal tweeters in the older Momentum series. Neat said basically the same thing in email exchanges before I purchased a new pair of Momentums. The sizzle at times was really my only complaint with the 3i. The soft dome SEAS Excel Millenium tweeters on my other speakers are more fatiguing. Momentum standmounts are a completely different level of performance to the KEF LS50 you went with. I'd love to hear their execution of the SEAS Crescendo tweeter in the XLS series.

Congrats to the Iota Alpha and Special Forty on the What Hi Fi? Awards.

https://www.whathifi.com/neat/iota-alpha/review

https://www.whathifi.com/dynaudio/special-forty/review

Does anyone have Dynaudio in their cars? I really enjoy the system in my Volvo.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:01 pm 

My friend had Dynaudio in his TOTL Passat. Best auto system I have ever heard in a real person's car. I am sure it was 9.1.

James, I was actually quite surprised when I heard the treble on the Neats. perhaps bright was not the right word but it was emphasized. I did not hear sizzle for sure. Treble was of high quality just as it was at TAVES. There was just more of it than the usual balance I am used to.

Treble really has improved in most modern high quality speakers. The horrible early metal tweeters such as the ones on my Monitor Audio 700 (gold version) were painful despite generally excellent mid range. Not sure how much of it was the cheap lamp chord I was using for wire.

The smaller Neat Momoentum I heard at the dealer about a year ago was very forward which was odd considering the excellent little Naim integrated (same as I had at the time) being used. The salesman said the wire they were using was not an ideal choice and did not seem to work on these speakers. Mind you, it could have been the amp not reacting well to the wire versus the speakers. The speakers were very well priced so I was pretty keen on them.

Tonight I am laitening to Max Richter's rework of the Vivaldi Four Seasons on LP through my entry Dynaudio floor standees and know I made the right choice for my listening tastes( about 2/3 classical and instrumental).

I did not see Kudos this year at TAVES but to me they are best of the small batch UK minis. the bookshelf ones were amazing right up the line but needed quality behind them. I did not see Dynaudios at TAVES this year either. I bought mine from a CAM dealer eatst of Toronto but Alternative Audio in Dundas sell them as well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:58 am 
Premium User

zon001 wrote:
a friend of mine have the ultimatum xls. in fact he as the biggest model with 6 woofer for front, the 4 woofer for side and the one you mention for rear.all driven with bryston amp, and chord processor. they are very musical. I have dynaudio. and could say those neat are very impressive.the bass is tight, the mid are precisse. the bass is not overwhelming but accurate and very musical.perfect highs with those ribbon on the top. I would say they are more musical then the dynaudio.

Thanks a lot for chiming in! I've heard they're rather musical. Would you say they're lacking in detail at all, or do they make for a nice balance of being rather revealing, but still fun/natural/enjoyable/not overly harsh? I'm strongly considering them. I may 'settle' for something like the Special 40s in the short term, and later use them as rears when doing the 5.1 thing. I'm not too picky about tonal matching in a surround system; I wouldn't be able to afford a complete set from the Ultimatum line anyhow.