Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynaudio
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:02 pm 

I agree with many of the things mentioned here and would like to add a couple things. First off I've owned a pair of 160's and 260's. Both are great products and probably the "value products" in the line up if there is such a thing at their price point. Now having said this the Focus line is now discontinued as someone here has already mentioned. The Excite product is good but no where near as refund as the focus. Is more lively than focus but at times a bit hard sounding on the top end. Not as smooth as the Focus, nor does it have the roundness in the bass like the focus. Now this all may be a moot point because it seems that the importer that brings the product into Canada has increased the price across the board for Dyn which may or may place many other options on the table.

The Contour and Confidence are fantastic but pricing is up there so they better be good. Someone here mentioned Totem and I think they are on the right track. First off they are a Canadian company so pricing right off the bat is going to make sense when comparing to a Euro company or US. Secondly Some of the new Totem stuff is quite impressive. It seems to have some of the Dyn qualities but with a bit more "liveliness". Not sure thats the word to use but definitely more air making the speaker sound bigger than it is. That was one of my complaints with the focus series. I loved the smoothness of them but at the same time that was also a hindrance on certain recordings....

thought it may have been my amp but after trying a few different ones the results were the same and could never get some of that air i was looking for.

Just for the record, I've tried the Focal and B&W in my house.... For me it was a very fast and quick no. It didn't take me long to figure out that those products were not for me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:30 pm 

alberg47 wrote:
looking for some advise and or souding comments on Dynaudio focus 260 !! or any other Dynaudio speakers , thks

To give an informed response, Think it would be good if people knew a bit more of what you are after.

- room size ?
- musical taste ?
- what amp were you planning to partner the Dynaudio Speakers with ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:55 am 
Premium User

I have a pair of Dynaudio Special 40's coming in by Friday or Monday. Will report back with impressions once I get some hours with them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:02 am 

If the Special 40's have any of the same character as the C1's your X250.5 will take control...To get the bass they are capable of you should fill your stands with sand or kitty litter.Kitty litter is easier and cleaner...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:56 am 

James_W wrote:
I have a pair of Dynaudio Special 40's coming in by Friday or Monday. Will report back with impressions once I get some hours with them.

Very interested in your impressions especially compared with the equivalent Focals and other high end minis.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:01 am 

Dynaudio used to get a lot of praise for their line of ACTIVE speakers, a few years ago.

Any comments about their current actives?

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:18 pm 

James_W wrote:

Looking forward to your report James... I'll also have a pair of S40 later on to try in October. I'm curious...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:03 pm 
Premium User

I'll provide some initial impressions but as always it really takes time to know a good speaker. The qualities are not always right in front of you. Although I run full range floorstanding speakers as mains my little hobby on the side for the last few years has been trying bookshelf/standmount speakers around the 5k range. IMO this is usually the sweet spot for most company offerings.

The Special Forty? it is a beautiful looking and sounding speaker. The presentation is very refined and detailed but never fatiguing. As I stated previously Dynaudio is a great alternative to B&W or Focal if you don't like their sound. The 40's offer great insight in to recordings without the soundstage being too recessed and certainly not too forward. So far I have noticed no obvious flaws other than bad recordings sounding like crap. Strengths are detail and the rhythmic? qualities. Music has a flowing sound and cohesive quality from top to bottom. A fellow hobbyist I know would call them "a real toe tapper" Bass is good for a speaker this size and it never sounds thin or boomy.

Comparisons? If I had to rank notable speakers in this category suited to my listening tastes it would look something like this. All but the B&W I have owned. YMMV depending on preferred music genres.

Neat Momentum SX3i - Audio Note AN-J/Lx Hemp
Dynaudio Special Forty - ATC SCM 19 v2 - B&W 805 D3
Totem Fire - Totem Mani 2
Audiovector SR1 Avantgarde
Focal 1008 BE

It's not a clear cut one is better than the other scenario with most of them...they are all great speakers! Hopefully Kudos and ProAc will be added to the list sometime in the future. The Special Forty is a very good value with an excellent finish and sound quality to match. I provided a pic of one beside the ELAC Uni-Fi UB5 for some perspective.

The Contour 60 looks pretty tempting, if anyone gets a pair please share your impressions.

Attachments:
20171002_134717.jpg
20171002_134717.jpg [ 207.25 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:21 pm 

The Special 40's in grey are absolutely beautiful..............imo (:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:48 pm 

James_W

Thanks for the informative post.

Quick hijack:

Please tell us what digital front end you are using? Your speaker preference is in tune with mine so would like to know which DAC you prefer as I am in the market for a new one.

Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:25 pm 
Premium User

johnww wrote:
Please tell us what digital front end you are using?

I am also in the market for a new DAC right now. Currently I have a PS Audio Stellar DAC/Preamp connected directly to a Pass Labs X250.5. There was a Benchmark DAC 3 HGC in the mix but it was not a good fit direct to the Pass Labs amp with Tekton Double Impacts. The sound was great with the Benchmark connected to the PS Audio but It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to simplify things. The DAC 3 would be great with warm sounding gear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:53 pm 

I've never successfully enjoyed digital direct to an amp yet, and I've tried a few times....I've settled on a tube preamp with my X250.5 much more fun than the matching pass pre....When you take a tubed digital source,and a tube preamp it is mind boggling how much you can tailor the sound to your liking...you might find you don't have to flip gear that much because you can create a match....But that wouldn't be as much fun...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:05 pm 
Premium User

Straying off topic at this point but I go through gear to evaluate as much as possible for knowledge/experience so you might be missing the point of why I do it. No endless search for perfection is going on here. Do whatever works for you, it has nothing to do with me.

I bought a BAT VK-33 new retail last year around this time so I'm no stranger to matching SS and tubes, before that it was an Audio Research LS 17SE. I won't be going that route again unless I find a single box tube pre/DAC that is suitable.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:44 pm 
Premium User

Thanks for sharing your initial impressions of the Special Forty, James.

At a rough glance, would you say it sits somewhere between the Focal sound, and the pre-Element Totem upper-end stuff? I used to have the 20th anniversary 'The One' model from Totem, and it did a lot of things very well. I only really wished that it went a couple dB louder, played a wee bit lower (yeah, it's pretty small), and offered a little more resolution. Otherwise, its soundstaging, imaging, cohesiveness, and timbre/tonal renderings or whathaveyou, were all very satisfying. I'm quite familiar with Focal's stuff: K2 in my car, along with Aria and Electra especially, but have also heard the Sopra and Utopia lines several times. I tend to agree with the assessments of yours that I've read on here of Focal's offerings, by the way. I'm also considering the Kef Reference 201/2 (among several others). Anyhow, any brief thoughts would be very much appreciated (or just further impressions on the 'Forty').

By the way, for what it's worth, I just missed your Reference 205s by a couple of days (crap)!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:33 pm 
Premium User

Turdski wrote:
At a rough glance, would you say it sits somewhere between the Focal sound, and the pre-Element Totem upper-end stuff?

They are somewhere between a Focal and ATC. The sound is more natural/organic than a Focal while offering the sense of looking in to the recording similar to a Focal or ATC. Like ATC they require some time and attention to better appreciate. There is no in your face presentation that you would find in a Bowers and Wilkins speaker. It has some obvious similarities to a Model One or Mani 2 but the sound is more even and balanced, which is a good or bad thing depending on your tastes. The bass has really grown on me. I put them through my bass heavy references last night and they did a very good job. My only complaint so far is they need to be turned up to hear them at their best, similar to the Neat Isobaric bookshelf speaker. The finish is gorgeous in person. Earlier this year I read somewhere they had to cut the thin veneer strips by hand before dyeing and applying them.

Turdski wrote:
By the way, for what it's worth, I just missed your Reference 205s by a couple of days (crap)!

You could have saved me a first negative feedback :lol:

Have you listened to the KEF R300? I heard them on entry level Cambridge gear and I thought they were very accomplished for the price point. I'd like to hear them on a better setup. If ever you pass through the interior feel free to drop me a line and you can hear the Special Forty and Tyler Acoustic speakers coming later this week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next