Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynaudio
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:07 pm 

Thanks James for your report. Sounds very promising. I will have a pair of S40 later this month and will be able to compare them to my C1´s Sig. Will report here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:19 pm 
Premium User

I am going off memory but the C1's I had here in March were better in every way (surprise, surprise) but the sound is awfully similar with the 40's being a bit scaled down. Are you going to be using them in a different setup?

I'd like to get feedback from someone on the Forty vs. Contour 20.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:27 am 
Premium User

James_W wrote:
You could have saved me a first negative feedback :lol:

Have you listened to the KEF R300? I heard them on entry level Cambridge gear and I thought they were very accomplished for the price point. I'd like to hear them on a better setup. If ever you pass through the interior feel free to drop me a line and you can hear the Special Forty and Tyler Acoustic speakers coming later this week.

Yeah, I wasn't gonna say anything here about the negative feedback, but that definitely sucks!

Their 'R' series speakers are indeed a great value - good enough for any sane person. If the 40s are more balanced and neutral (to the point of being almost boring for some people), they may actually be right up my alley. I've had to downgrade from an Ayre setup to a Schiit Saga and Vidar. It's fantastic stuff for the money, but I plan to get an Ayre KX-R and VX-R eventually. Anyhoo, so is your current favourite standmount the SCM19 then?

And thanks for the audition offer! Next time I'm passing through there, I might take you up on that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:55 am 

James_W wrote:
Have you listened to the KEF R300? I heard them on entry level Cambridge gear and I thought they were very accomplished for the price point. I'd like to hear them on a better setup. If ever you pass through the interior feel free to drop me a line and you can hear the Special Forty and Tyler Acoustic speakers coming later this week.

Had a listen to the KEF R300's with my gear while auditioning several possible replacements for the speakers I had at the time. I found them to be a lovely sounding speaker until I asked for higher volumes. At that point I was reminded of the old fingernails on a chalkboard comment. Everybody in the room felt the same. I have to admit that it was disappointing as up to that point I thought I'd found one of those " giant killer " bargains.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:16 am 
Premium User

Turdski wrote:
Anyhoo, so is your current favourite standmount the SCM19 then?

Neat Momentum SX3i isobaric followed by Audio Note AN-J/Lx Hemp would be my favorites of the bunch.

For the combo of looks + sound the 40's are at the top (my wife loves the finish and classic design) They are really great multimedia speakers, which is good for someone looking for an all in one solution. I'm not sure there would be a clear winner between the SCM 19 and Special Forty when it comes to sound quality. It would come down to listening preference.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm 
Premium User

Just adding this to the thread for size comparison between ELAC Uni-Fi UB5, Dynaudio Special Forty and Neat Momentum SX3i.

Attachments:
20171018_150840.jpg
20171018_150840.jpg [ 183.54 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:03 pm 

Wow the Neat is actually quite large...

Using your Pass, which one had the best synergy?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:44 pm 
Premium User

msommers wrote:
Wow the Neat is actually quite large...

Using your Pass, which one had the best synergy?

The Neats create beautiful music paired with Pass Labs, very airy and rich sound. I've never heard them combined before. I can't speak on how other Neat models sound though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:56 pm 

I have some Compound 4s..older model floorstander's, quite nice, very detailed and great imaging..they are not too efficient and 4 ohms, not much info out there on them..I can say they sound their best with lots of power.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:59 pm 

No doubt that large box helps the Neats sound a bit fuller. Some of the previous series could be very forward sounding and definitely not neutral.

The designer for Kudos came from Neat. After he left, the Neat speakers were all over the map in terms of voicing. I must admit I did not love those Iotas at TAVES, especially the treble, but perhaps it was because I loved those Audiovectors a few doors down so much. Not really a fair comparison based on price though. It was also because the earlier Neat stuff was so fabulous sounding with any competent UK integrated.

Back to Dynaudio, I am really curious about those 40s. Never heard a bad Dynaudio speaker but they don't engage like the better models from Neat, Kudos, Proac or Harbeth. I liked the Audiovectors when I heard them because they are fundamentally neutral sounding like Dynaudio but a bit more open up top without brightness. Very tough balancing act.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:18 pm 
Premium User

banerjba wrote:
Back to Dynaudio, I am really curious about those 40s. Never heard a bad Dynaudio speaker but they don't engage like the better models from Neat, Kudos, Proac or Harbeth. I liked the Audiovectors when I heard them because they are fundamentally neutral sounding like Dynaudio but a bit more open up top without brightness. Very tough balancing act.

Engage is the perfect word to use. The 40's are great speakers once you give the time needed to appreciate the quality they provide. It took a couple of late night sessions to win me over. I had a friend give them a quick listen (30 mins) and he gave 2 thumbs down which is unfair to the product. The quality of sound is immediately apparent though.

Another friend was nice enough to bring my old Neats over to do a comparison. By the end of the day he left with the Dynaudio's as his system is being used in a smaller room and he couldnt be happier. I have the Neats back in the lineup which better suits my tastes. From Audiovector to Kudos there are so many good flavours of bookshelf available.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:42 pm 
Premium User

vonclod wrote:
I have some Compound 4s..older model floorstander's, quite nice, very detailed and great imaging..they are not too efficient and 4 ohms, not much info out there on them..I can say they sound their best with lots of power.

Nice find! They are pretty rare.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:50 pm 

James_W wrote:
vonclod wrote:

Nice find! They are pretty rare.

Thank's I love em, I'm addicted to speakers ..you and me both I think :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:42 pm 
Premium User

Has anyone heard the Neat Ultimatum XLS'? I wonder how they'd compare to the likes of Dynaudio, or other models mentioned in this thread.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:34 am 

Turdski wrote:
Has anyone heard the Neat Ultimatum XLS'? I wonder how they'd compare to the likes of Dynaudio, or other models mentioned in this thread.

a friend of mine have the ultimatum xls. in fact he as the biggest model with 6 woofer for front, the 4 woofer for side and the one you mention for rear.all driven with bryston amp, and khord processor. they are very musical. I have dynaudio. and could say those neat are very impressive.the bass is tight, the mid are precisse. the bass is not overwhelming but accurate and very musical.perfect highs with those ribbon on the top. I would say they are more musical then the dynaudio.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next