Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:40 pm 

James_W wrote:
No shortage of affordable drivers in Totem speakers. Most are quite cheap for the MSRP of the speakers.

But they charge a mint for replacements.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:50 pm 
Premium User

L-Man wrote:
James_W wrote:
No shortage of affordable drivers in Totem speakers. Most are quite cheap for the MSRP of the speakers.

The worst part is i saw more Totem drivers blow than any other speaker I encountered on a retail level. Breaking the news on replacement costs to customers was never fun. I never had any issues with Torrent woofers though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:17 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
runnin wrote:

The drivers are also sourced from high end non-Chinese based companies, and then modified for Totem

Not completely true. They do source from Scan-Speak, Morel and Sea’s (if these are even still made in their originating countries), but also use Chinese made Pearless, HiVi and Polk Audio drivers. And they don’t always modify the driver(s), many are off the shelf units.

Ah, some much needed truths to deflate (appropriately) the inexplicable Totem charm/following.

pj

-- 13 Sep 2017 01:24 --

L-Man wrote:
James_W wrote:

Ahhh ... it's refreshing to hear some street-level truths. You realize those 16-year old models in Totem adverts come at a price (although it's likely the photography/post production costs are the real reasons -and the models- for the expensive off-the-shelf replacement parts used in many of its products). Oh, I guess that's why the products are priced 2X (if not more) of its intrinsic value.

pj

-- 13 Sep 2017 01:29 --

L-Man wrote:
James_W wrote:

Ahhh ... it's refreshing to hear some street-level truths. You realize those 16-year old models in Totem adverts come at a price (although it's likely the photography/post production costs are the real reasons -and the models- for the expensive off-the-shelf replacement parts used in many of its products). Oh, I guess that's why the products are priced 2X (if not more) of its intrinsic value.

pj
L-Man wrote:
James_W wrote:

Hmmm, over-priced, over-advertised, and under-engineered.

Well then, I must think of an appropriate acronym for T.O.T.E.M. Any ideas ?

pj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:40 pm 

Hey Peter,

You let me audition a pair of Totems in Hamilton years ago ... Staffs I think. I have owned a couple pairs of Totem speakers and enjoyed them greatly while I had them. I'm now using a larger 3-way from a different Canadian manufacturer, and wouldn't go back only because I prefer a larger sound. But I'd certainly entertain getting a pair of Skys for a second system. Totem speakers do some things well, and I don't think it's necessary to put down a good Canadian speaker manufacturer because their design philosophy doesn't align with yours.

Their products are modestly priced compared to many insane audio products. I mean, you could easily drop the value of a pair of Skys or Hawks on an interconnect or speaker cable which don't create any music by themselves.

Just think there needs to be a balance here. And it's fine with me if some people spend what my entire system is worth, on cables or tweaks. I just don't think it's fair to insinuate that Totem is ripping everyone off (yes I did complain about replacement driver cost). Luxury priced, maybe, but still a charming speaker IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:44 pm 

allhifi wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Not completely true. They do source from Scan-Speak, Morel and Sea’s (if these are even still made in their originating countries), but also use Chinese made Pearless, HiVi and Polk Audio drivers. And they don’t always modify the driver(s), many are off the shelf units.

Ah, some much needed truths to deflate (appropriately) the inexplicable Totem charm/following.

pj

Not trying to deflate but just to state facts. There are many speakers on the market, priced even higher than what Totem has to offer that employ cheap(ish) off the shelf drivers – this is nothing new.

TBH I think Totem is reasonably priced for what you get. Sound wise is purely subjective…some like them, some do not. Will admit though that their marketing is a tad overdone. I wouldn’t hold that against them, although I would definitely hold some of those models against me!!! :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 pm 
Premium User

L-Man wrote:
I'm now using a larger 3-way from a different Canadian manufacturer, and wouldn't go back only because I prefer a larger sound. But I'd certainly entertain getting a pair of Skys for a second system.

I am pretty much in the same boat looking for a secondary speaker that is really small. I like Totem speakers and accept them for what they are. They are nice for listening and take up very little room allowing me to store them beside main speakers. IMO ProAc are superior if you want something a bit larger but the little Totems have a certain charm. Vince has done a great job with his brand.