Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:43 pm 

Scroll up to find out how the Sky Tower sounds? Which dealer has them? Whether they are officially released?

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:03 pm 

runnin wrote:
I'm wondering what price range the Sky Tower will end up

msommers wrote:
The Sky tower will be in our traditional line offering excellent performance at an affordable package $2000-2500.

I too am curious of the sound and how much better it is than the Sky bookshelf! Having heard the Arro and Hawk, I'm looking for a decent upgrade in resolution, personally. Might need to go tribe tower but at $5k+ I dunno.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:18 pm 
Premium User

5k can probably get you a ProAc model with ribbon tweeter which is a hard act to follow for other compact towers. Hopefully the soft dome tweeter on the Tribe tower makes pairing easier. I had nothing but grief with the Fire and Earth before finding the right match.

It looks like they are using something other than a Morel DPC driver on the sky tower? it could just be the pic I saw. I wonder if that was a cost cutting or performance decision. A side by side comparison with Hawks on a good amp would be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:50 am 

PBB wrote:
Totem sure makes nice furniture.

Touche'.

-- 09 Sep 2017 14:52 --

msommers wrote:
runnin wrote:
I'm wondering what price range the Sky Tower will end up

msommers wrote:
The Sky tower will be in our traditional line offering excellent performance at an affordable package $2000-2500.

I too am curious of the sound and how much better it is than the Sky bookshelf! Having heard the Arro and Hawk, I'm looking for a decent upgrade in resolution, personally. Might need to go tribe tower but at $5k+ I dunno.

At $5K, consider a used pair of KEF Reference 1's; and discover a GREAT loudspeaker !

-- 09 Sep 2017 15:03 --

Got Hi-Fi wrote:

The past 5-years has uncovered a wealth of spectacular new drive-unit architecture, yet Totem marches on with decades old technology?

If the product represented some amazing value proposition, I could understand, but at its price-point consumers should be much more demanding.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:15 am 

runnin wrote:
Scroll up to find out how the Sky Tower sounds? Which dealer has them? Whether they are officially released?

Have/has any of the Totem faithful considered another Canadian brand -Reference 3A ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:07 am 

allhifi wrote:
The past 5-years has uncovered a wealth of spectacular new drive-unit architecture, yet Totem marches on with decades old technology?

If the product represented some amazing value proposition, I could understand, but at its price-point consumers should be much more demanding.

Totem's cabinets are domestically hand made with lock mitred joints. Most of them are veneered on the inside as well as the outside with custom MDF. All of this costs money, and paying Canadian artisans a good wage instead of throwing some coins at Chinese factory workers, is going to add to the retail price. The drivers are also sourced from high end non-Chinese based companies, and then modified for Totem, again, adding expense to the price. I'm sure one can find cheaper but personally I like Totem's approach.

Totem's higher end lines such as the Tribe or Element have new drive unit approaches, but if one doesn't like Totem, there are many others out there.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:20 am 

runnin wrote:
allhifi wrote:

Totem's cabinets are domestically hand made with lock mitred joints. Most of them are veneered on the inside as well as the outside with custom MDF. All of this costs money, and paying Canadian artisans a good wage instead of throwing some coins at Chinese factory workers, is going to add to the retail price. The drivers are also sourced from high end non-Chinese based companies, and then modified for Totem, again, adding expense to the price. I'm sure one can find cheaper but personally I like Totem's approach.

Totem's higher end lines such as the Tribe or Element have new drive unit approaches, but if one doesn't like Totem, there are many others out there.

Well said!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:25 pm 

I just had a good listen to the new Sky Tower, at my local dealer, and I have to say, I am extremely impressed...the bass is deep, fast and tight, and the top is smooth. The soundstage is wide, not as tall as the Hawks (which i never cared for). Typical Totem build quality and pricing at around 2700, don't quote me on that, seems to be good value.
The extra price on the Staffs, is well worth it, for my ears anyway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:22 pm 

Thanks for the impressions!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:02 pm 

The Tribe towers will certainly have a great amt of competition at the MSRP. Ive often wondered about a comparison of Reference 3A and Element Ember. Being an owner of Hawks and having auditioned 3A biwired with AudioNote power -I have a curiousity about the Torrent drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:40 pm 

I'm curious how the Forest compares to the Sky tower.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:42 am 

runnin wrote:
allhifi wrote:

I see:
* Custom MDF no less !

* Although they may (Totem) don't be so sure they pay their workers "living wages"

* Totem doesn't use Chinese drive-units ? (They certainly did throughout 2000-2010 -perhaps even today).

* Ask yourself how the drivers are attached to the baffle ? (Wood-screws I bet. And what are these things
priced at?)

* What you get and what it's priced at represents a major chasm.

* No respectable 3-way design -how and why ? (Ones'e left with a compromised, high-distortion 2-way -
that nearly anyone today can slap together.

* Yes, one can do better -much better -the NET is a great learning tool.

Yes, some Totem's are musical and engaging. If valued at half of current pricing, the brand would represent some value.

BTW, Totem's new in-house driver is indeed an excellent main driver. Does anyone know how it is attached to the baffle-board -bolts, or wood-screws?

These are some serious considerations for anyone looking to fork over thousands-of-dollars.

If you wish to see how a premium loudspeaker is constructed, consider the current KEF Reference series; KEF has an 'exploded' view of enclosure and drive-unit fastening techniques.
Although the REF 1's at $8-9K/pr. (CA$) ain't cheap, its construction detail should be used as a reference as how things should be done.

pj

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:06 am 

L-Man wrote:
I'm curious how the Forest compares to the Sky tower.

Yep, inquiring minds want to know! There's still nothing up on their website, hopefully that is updated soon.

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:33 pm 

runnin wrote:

The drivers are also sourced from high end non-Chinese based companies, and then modified for Totem

Not completely true. They do source from Scan-Speak, Morel and Sea’s (if these are even still made in their originating countries), but also use Chinese made Pearless, HiVi and Polk Audio drivers. And they don’t always modify the driver(s), many are off the shelf units.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:39 pm 
Premium User

No shortage of affordable drivers in Totem speakers. Most are quite cheap for the MSRP of the speakers.