Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:00 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:
You have a rear ported speaker positioned close to the wall. This will effect the bass significantly. As others mentioned a front-ported speaker like the small Wharfedale is designed to sound good in this sort of positioning.

Kinda what I was asking all the way back to page 2 - I think I would have gone with a front ported or sealed speaker in this situation. At any rate, move them around a bit and see if things change. Small changes can sometimes yield big returns. They are a very well reviewed speaker -no doubt.
jp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:11 pm 

dupont62 wrote:
Budget $200/electronic music.......used PSB Alpha B1s.

If only have $200 to spend, I might wait until you have at least $400, just a suggestion.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:04 pm 

I paid like 110$ for the pioneers brand new at visions if anyone wants to go haggle for some bottom barrel bookshelfs(albeit good performance for the low $ spent), I honestly wouldn't use these as surround because of the lacking stereo image. Theres nothing in the price range that will satisfy the needs of full audio but yea if anyone wants some, thats the conclusion of this thread. Thanks everyone for your input.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:48 pm 

Try partially stuffing the ports with old socks, etc.

It will definitely result in a change..........no guarantee that it will be an improvement.....but costs nothing.

I'm sure there are good and bad examples of ported speakers.....but I'm strictly a sealed box guy.

Cheers, del Sol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:09 am 

Hello CAM members,

Hope I'm not threadjacking, but I thought I'd ask here rather than start another thread.

I am looking for a small pair of bookshelf speakers to replace the speakers from an old
mini-system. The current speakers are placed on a shelf and close to rear wall. We
use this mini system for radio and the odd CD with no audiophile aspiration. (Though
I obviously would like the new speakers to be better than the old. :) )

The old speakers are ~10" tall and 6.5" wide and I don't want to go significantly larger.

I see the KEF q100 is now on sale for $300, which is close to my budget. The size is about
right and I'd imagine the front port makes it more suitable to be closed to the rear wall.

I would be grateful if you might share your thoughts on the Q100 or any other suggestions
that might be appropriate for my intended use.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:51 am 

AstroNewbie wrote:
Hello CAM members,

Hope I'm not threadjacking, but I thought I'd ask here rather than start another thread.

I am looking for a small pair of bookshelf speakers to replace the speakers from an old
mini-system. The current speakers are placed on a shelf and close to rear wall. We
use this mini system for radio and the odd CD with no audiophile aspiration. (Though

The old speakers are ~10" tall and 6.5" wide and I don't want to go significantly larger.

I see the KEF q100 is now on sale for $300, which is close to my budget. The size is about
right and I'd imagine the front port makes it more suitable to be closed to the rear wall.

I would be grateful if you might share your thoughts on the Q100 or any other suggestions

Thanks.

If possible, you should try speakers with your mini-system before you buy them. Some mini-systems were equalized to the speakers they came with, and whatever speakers you get might sound a lot different than you are hoping. Also, most mini-systems don't have much power ... regardless of how many watts they claim to have. Don't spend too much.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:46 am 

Hi,

astronewbie is looking for bookshelf speakers.

The 'go to' speaker for this sort of application is the old Minimus 7, sold by the former Radio Shack. They regularly come up for sale on CAM and Kijiji for about $75 a pair. They have metal cases and are nearly indestructable, if not used outdoors. There are dozens of CAM members who use them in their secondary (and other) systems and parts upgrades are possible. They are closed cabinet and can be placed just about anywhere, even against a wall. They are good enough to reveal the shortcomings of your mini-system amp which will be just an inexpensive op-amp and maybe that will allow you to think about upgrading to a real receiver.

Another option would be a pair of NHT Superzeros, which, like the Minimus 7, are a perennial favourite for secondary systems and about $100 a pair used. They will be even more revealing of the limits of the mini-system electronics.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:54 am 

+1 on the Minimus 7. Great little speakers that won't break the bank. I have 6 pairs of them doing duty in a number of applications including inside the HAM Shack.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:04 am 

Agree with everything being said about the Minimus 7's........HOWEVER.....the l'il buggers are so heavy, (good thing), that it often costs more than they are worth to ship them, (bad thing.)

If you can find a pair locally.....buy 'em!

del Sol

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:56 am 

Best new inexpensive bookshelfs ive heard are the new budget priced Elac's. I think in the 2-400$ range.
To bad you wont consider used. I picked up a pair of vintage 80's B&W DM 100i's for under $100 on CAM. Hooked up to a 80's Rega integrated (under $300 used price). This combo sounds astounding. Even has me questioning why I needed to spend so much on my main system.
Bass, bloom and body are unreal. Sweet tone and silky smooth highs to die for. I could be completely happy if this was my only stereo system. I continually demo them for friends, just to show what is actually possible with next to no money. Don't waste your time/money at best buy. At least two other people I know have purchased these speakers after hearing them at my place. I feel good because not only are my friends getting good sound, but Ime also saving them from purchasing mediocre sounding, garbage. :mrgreen: :!:

Last edited by newmusic on Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:48 pm 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

astronewbie is looking for bookshelf speakers.

The 'go to' speaker for this sort of application is the old Minimus 7, sold by the former Radio Shack. They regularly come up for sale on CAM and Kijiji for about $75 a pair. They have metal cases and are nearly indestructable, if not used outdoors. There are dozens of CAM members who use them in their secondary (and other) systems and parts upgrades are possible. They are closed cabinet and can be placed just about anywhere, even against a wall. They are good enough to reveal the shortcomings of your mini-system amp which will be just an inexpensive op-amp and maybe that will allow you to think about upgrading to a real receiver.

Another option would be a pair of NHT Superzeros, which, like the Minimus 7, are a perennial favourite for secondary systems and about $100 a pair used. They will be even more revealing of the limits of the mini-system electronics.

Cheers,
David Neice

I have both the Superzero's and the Minimus 7's. The 7's are a tiny bit smaller. I don't think you could go wrong with either pair. I enjoy them both. The Superzero's are listed with a sensitivity of 86 and I couldn't find any number for the 7's but I think it would be close to the same?? If I had to pick I think I would take the NHT's - they seem more refined and dig out a bit more detail than do the 7's. Having said that though I have not A/B'd them with the same system.
No experience with the KEF's you mention - sorry
jp

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:13 pm 

AstroNewbie wrote:
Hello CAM members,

Thanks.

Buy them!!

The Q100 image extremely well. The will not shake the house down but they have clean vocals and acceptable bass.

I own the Kef Q100 and the R100. The Q100 cabinets are not very heavy and they do not compare to the very heavy densely build gloss black R100. The word "BUT" the R100 has a smoother roll of in treble but the Q100 sound almost as good for a fraction of the price. They are both made in China like many speakers on the market. I am not disrespecting the Kef LS50's but with good amplification I would enjoy a pair of R100's equally as much as the LS50 for a speaker that does not have big punch. For a warmer darker pleasing sound my R300's would give me greater joy than a pair of LS50. The R300's have plenty punch and pleasant sound.

If you had decent amplification even a nice set of used Q300 is quite nice. It'll provide more bass but I still have preference in the Q100 for jazz vocals.

The imaging of these Q100 speakers (most Uni Q speakers) are their strong points. I would not expect the world from the size of the drivers to provide resonating wall vibrating bass. With a nice musical sub to cover the lows I would say the Q100's on good speaker stands would be a great speaker to enjoy.

Price point I think the Q100 is very good speaker for the money. Like anything speakers are a very subjective topic.

I use all Kef speakers for my home audio home theater setup. For more chillout critical listening enjoy a totally different system.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:05 pm 

Dayton Audio B-652-AIR from parts-express.
popular and dirt cheap.

Gary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:06 am 

Thank you all for your replies!

Many years ago I had used the same mini system with a pair of RA labs mini reference
(https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/494ra/ ) and they worked fine. So I
don't think there's any unusual equalization.

The Daytons look interesting though getting them from the US may prove problematic.

I didn't know NHT is still around and producing the SuperZero. Hadn't followed the company
since Ken Kantor left. My roommate had a pair in the early 90s and I thought they sounded
good but bass-shy (obviously). The rear wall placement should give it a boost.
Maybe it's time to checkout the current version.

The Elacs seem interesting though they appear larger than I would like.

Will keep eyes open for Minimus 7....

Cheers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7